Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:26:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]
Author Topic: Fed plans to raise rates as soon as March to cool inflation  (Read 19865 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 07, 2022, 11:34:53 PM »
« edited: December 07, 2022, 11:46:09 PM by Benjamin Frank »

It does seem like since 1970, we have experienced an era of permanent decline. A "recession" or two will occur every decade, but the economy will remain stagnant for most of the decade. No real growth. Savings is a myth. Prices going up. It's unfortunate. The fed changed the nature of the world

The big monetary policy change around 1970 was the Nixon shock, not the Fed, but yeah, there is decent circumstantial evidence (if you start from certain priors) that the shift to pure fiat money contributed to our economy's long-term unsoundness.

These are fighting words to me!
1.There really is no 'Nixon shock.'  President Johnson starting in 1966 by increasing spending on Vietnam at the same time as funding the Great Society (guns and butter) precipitated what became an inflationary spiral. Though I don't know if this could be called an 'inflationary spiral' by 1970, the higher U.S inflation rate relative to inflation in the rest of the world made the world wide gold standard as devised at Bretton Woods with fixed exchange rates impossible to maintain.

In my opinion anyway, the Nixon Administration transitioning the U.S off the Gold Standard via negotiating with Saudi Arabia to make the U.S $ the Petrodollar was policy genius.

2.The gold standard is extremely unsound. The money supply increases not based on anything to do with the economy but when large gold deposits are found. How does that even begin to make any sense?

However, there were two ways that governments could increase their money supply even under the Gold Standard which kind of ruined its supposed benefit:
1.Decrease the amount of gold in coinage. Obviously this was done before economies started to have economic growth. This is where the term 'debase the currency' comes from.

2.Decrease the gold to coinage ratio. Nations, rather than having a 1:1`ratio of gold to currency (or after fractional reserve banking, gold to money) would announce a 1.5:1 ratio for instance.

In democracies or with greater public scrutiny, that was not popular government policy. So, for instance, the FDR Administration with the Great Depression tried some bizarre hybrid of not going off the gold standard, but interferring with its value by pegging gold at $35 an ounce. Every mainstream economist agrees that the Gold Standard increased the length and severity of the Great Depression.

For more on the Gold Standard and its failures, I always highly recommend people read "The Power of Gold: The History of an Obsession"  by Peter Bernstein.
https://www.amazon.ca/Power-Gold-History-Obsession/dp/111827010X

"The need for realism in reform of its monetary system is what makes Bernstein’s story of the Power of Gold so timely. It is a compelling reminder that maintaining a fixed price for gold and fixed exchange rates were difficult even in a simpler financial environment….Peter Bernstein was reluctant to project the story of gold into the future. But to me his message was clear. Yes, gold will be with us, valued not only for its intrinsic qualities but as a last refuge and store of value in turbulent times. But its days as money, as a means of payment and a fixed unit of account are gone."
—From the New Foreword by Paul Volcker

3.I think the United States going off the Gold Standard at a time of high inflation has allowed the 'Gold bugs' (I don't think you'll ever find a more horrible collection of grifters) to make dishonest negative attributions to 'fiat currency.' The reality is, once inflation was whipped in the early 1980s, with the exception of the late 1980s when the Reagan Administration sparked a new round of inflation with very high government budget deficits, with a few short exceptions in the mid 2000s, inflation in the United States has been roughly stable at between 1-4% per annum.  

That it took a major external shock like Covid to wreck this, I think shows how well Central Banks generally understand how to control inflation. One criticism of economists, as I've mentioned here previously, is that they aren't educated in supply chain logistics. Although this is a bit odd since I think clearly supply chains were what Adam Smith was referring to as 'the guiding hand' moving 'as if by magic', unfortunately I think most economists interpreted that as simply incentives provided by the price mechanism.

So, The Federal Reserve was too slow in appreciating that the supply chain bottlenecks would lead to shortages resulting in significant ongoing price increases. (That erased the shortages at the higher price levels.)

3B.From sometime in 1991 to 2007, the only recession in the United States was the recession declared by the NBER in 2000-2001. So, there were approximately 16 years where there was no time of two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth.

The U.S economy has grown enormously over the last 40-50 years, and not through only population growth, but through real growth per capita. The increases in productivity in the U.S show this. For one example, a reason the economy did not suffer as much as in the 1970s through the increases in oil prices is that oil usage is at least twice as efficient as it was in the 1970s. (And this is even with all the stupid SUVs.)

The problem with the U.S economy and with a large percentage of Americans not benefiting from the enormous productivity gains is the horrible right wing economic policies that started under the Reagan Administration that have helped concentrate wealth at the top.

There is no problem with central banks that can't be solved with some better education for economists and there is no problem with 'fiat currency.' Most of the problems with the U.S economy at present going back 40 years are a result of right wing economic policies.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #226 on: December 08, 2022, 12:20:02 AM »

It does seem like since 1970, we have experienced an era of permanent decline. A "recession" or two will occur every decade, but the economy will remain stagnant for most of the decade. No real growth. Savings is a myth. Prices going up. It's unfortunate. The fed changed the nature of the world

The big monetary policy change around 1970 was the Nixon shock, not the Fed, but yeah, there is decent circumstantial evidence (if you start from certain priors) that the shift to pure fiat money contributed to our economy's long-term unsoundness.

These are fighting words to me!

Again, sake of argument, etc. The entire point I made there presupposed monetarism, which I do not and the person to whom I was speaking does (in addition to a variety of other similarly wrong ideas on which he's dead-set).
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #227 on: December 16, 2022, 02:06:25 PM »

So will atlas admit we are in a recession?

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #228 on: December 18, 2022, 11:52:07 AM »

It's not like there is anything we can do about the Fed at this point. If there is, that would be good to know.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #229 on: December 18, 2022, 10:01:46 PM »

Jerome Powell should step down IMO
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #230 on: December 19, 2022, 09:13:52 PM »

It's not like there is anything we can do about the Fed at this point. If there is, that would be good to know.

Raise interest rates to double digits.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #231 on: December 21, 2022, 12:37:37 PM »

Bloomberg's economic model has a 100% chance of a recession in the USA in 2023.  The model has it starting in Sept 2023.  If true then I suspect it would be around then that Fed will start to cut rates assuming that inflation will crash throughout next year.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #232 on: January 27, 2023, 06:50:00 PM »
« Edited: January 27, 2023, 06:57:26 PM by jaichind »

Interest rate and federal borrowing cost normalization means that interest payments on the federal debt surged to $853 billion.  As existing debt is rolled over with higher interest rates this will rise a lot over the next few years and it will not surprise me if it reaches 25% of federal income or around 5% of GDP.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #233 on: January 27, 2023, 07:02:06 PM »

Fed seen ending rate hikes by March as inflation slows

The U.S. central bank is seen delivering two more quarter-point interest-rate increases before ending its current round of rate hikes in March, after a government report showed inflation continued to slow last month.

The Fed's preferred gauge for inflation, the personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index, rose 5.0% last month from a year earlier, slower than the 5.5% 12-month gain as of November, the Commerce Department reported.

Core PCE, which the Fed uses to gauge the underlying momentum of inflation, rose 4.4% from a year earlier, but in the most recent three-month average around 3.2% on an annualized basis.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2023, 11:31:31 AM »

For the first time using my inflation-adjusted yield curve (discounting the yield curve with inflation swaps at each tenor) as the curve inverted (the convention curve has been inverted for a while) although only mildly.

Out of curiosity (I studied valuation and work in banking), why do you do it that way? And is this alternate measure widely used? Have you tested its reliability in the past?

(Hope I'm not derailing the thread here)

This former FX strategist of Goldman Sachs also seems to share my methodology - namely deflating 30-year treasury yield by 30-year inflation swap to derive real 30-year treasury yield.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #235 on: February 05, 2023, 08:31:10 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2023, 12:15:01 AM by Frodo »

If Fed Chair Jerome Powell pull this off successfully, President Biden should nominate him for a third four-year year term in 2026:

Lawrence Summers and IMF director both say odds of soft landing for U.S. are improving
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2023, 06:28:44 PM »

Strength in the bond market is signaling that the US economy won't enter a recession either this year or next
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: March 21, 2023, 01:34:40 AM »

I have to say, I didn’t have you pegged down as a goldbug, Nathan.

The "certain priors" include "being a monetarist", which I'm not (thank God and thank my mother for raising me with Milton Friedman as a hate object, once I was old enough to be told about him).

Did Friedman support the gold standard? I know that that was true of the initial gaggle of Reaganite supply-siders, or at least a few of them (Jude Wanniski, for example).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #238 on: March 21, 2023, 01:50:41 AM »

Anyway, re: the 60s-70s inflation/stagflation, I personally lay a large chunk of the fault on the “Guns and Butter”, unfunded/underfunded Vietnam and Great Society policies of Johnson (which were a significant expansion of Kennedy’s already ambitious policies—both domestic and foreign), continuing with Nixon and exacerbated by his and Kissinger’s dumb Middle East policy and his domestic wage and price controls (narrator: the OPEC “embargo” did not need to be nearly that harmful).

Oh, and it didn’t help that the post-war economic boom pretty much ended in the 1960s, or the rise in foreign competition from Germany and Japan undercut a lot of American manufacturing around this time too, or that the American working-age population and the associated disposable income expanded a lot with the Boomers coming of age.

Stagflation was “overdetermined” IMO.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies