Which show comes on first? Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Which show comes on first? Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which show do you remember coming on before the other?
Wheel before Jeopardy!

Jeopardy! before Wheel

who the hell cares, koopa?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Which show comes on first? Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune?  (Read 709 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2022, 09:24:08 PM »

Depending on what television market you live in, you may get one TV show before you get the other.

I live in Waterloo, Iowa, where the two shows air on KWWL, the local NBC station. While they weren't back to back, I remember Jeopardy airing in the afternoon and Wheel airing right before prime time. Tomorrow, Wednesday the 26th, the new episode of Jeopardy will air on KWWL at 4pm, followed by Inside Edition at 4:30, the KWWL News at 5, NBC Nightly News at 5:30, the KWWL News at 6, and eventually Wheel of Fortune at 6:30.

However, in my parents' home town and a place I often visited as a child, things were different. Clear Lake lies in the Mason City-Rochester-Austin-Albert Lea, IA/MN market, where the two shows air on KIMT, the local CBS station up there. I remember Wheel airing before Jeopardy, but looking at local listings up there tells me that things must've changed, now the new Jeopardy airs at 3:30 and the new Wheel at 6:30, with two and a half hours of local news and the CBS Evening News separating them.

I know this is weird nerd sh!t, but I needed to vent.

(Map credit by GraphGraph)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »

In Atlanta, Wheel normally airs on WXIA-11, the local NBC affiliate, at 7:00 pm, followed by Jeopardy at 7:30.  I say "normally" because if the shows get pre-empted by special events (e.g. the Olympics) they generally move over to WATL-36 at the same times.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 10:09:32 PM »

In Broward County, Wheel airs on WPLG-10, the local ABC affiliate, at 7, followed by J! at 7:30. Preemptions aren't aired.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:22:50 PM »

Jeapordy first...but tbh, Idc.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 02:48:53 AM »

There are places where Wheel of Fortune comes first? That feels unnatural.
JGibson
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 06:23:16 AM »

In St. Louis, KSDK (NBC) airs both shows, with Jeopardy! at 4:30PM CT and Wheel of Fortune at 6:30PM CT. When Oprah was still airing at 4PM CT, Jeopardy! aired at 3:30PM CT.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 09:14:39 AM »

There are places where Wheel of Fortune comes first? That feels unnatural.

Now you know how we feel about places where Jeopardy! comes first, haha! Tbh, though, I definitely prefer having Wheel air first myself: it gets me into game-show mode for the clearly superior Chad that is Jeopardy!, whereas doing Wheel after already experiencing J!'s euphoria is just miserable.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 01:09:10 PM »

On 6ABC in the Philly suburbs, Jeopardy! comes on first, followed by Wheel.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2022, 01:53:49 PM »

I grew up in Monroe County, NY (blue), but Wheel was always on before Jeopardy. Wednesday nights in our household were always dinner, then Jeopardy, then Survivor, then Modern Family.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 02:36:08 PM »

Jeopardy! at 5:00 PM, Wheel of Fortune at 6:30 PM.
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 02:49:59 PM »

Wheel at 7, followed by Jeopardy! immediately after
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2022, 06:42:32 AM »

In Chicago Jeopardy is 3:30 and Wheel at 6:30. In the Bay Area (last place I actually had access to a television) Jeopardy is at 7 immediately followed by Wheel at 7:30.

Tbh, though, I definitely prefer having Wheel air first myself: it gets me into game-show mode for the clearly superior Chad that is Jeopardy!, whereas doing Wheel after already experiencing J!'s euphoria is just miserable.

The solution to this is to watch Jeopardy and then switch channels or turn off the TV; I have never understood the appeal of watching Wheel of Fortune to begin with.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2022, 08:53:06 AM »

Tbh, though, I definitely prefer having Wheel air first myself: it gets me into game-show mode for the clearly superior Chad that is Jeopardy!, whereas doing Wheel after already experiencing J!'s euphoria is just miserable.

The solution to this is to watch Jeopardy and then switch channels or turn off the TV; I have never understood the appeal of watching Wheel of Fortune to begin with.

In my subjective opinion, I actually like Wheel. I agree 100% that J! is more fun to watch, although Wheel is a nice, relaxed show. Maybe because I'm not picky when it comes to game shows, maybe it's because I have deeply sentimental memories of watching it with my grandma as a little Koop, but it still holds a deep place in my heart.

Will definitely admit that the show was a bit better when it didn't have all these weird inclusions (like the Express or Crossword) fit in, one of the best parts about J! is that the only thing that has really changed about its core format over the past half-century are its host and the dollar amounts on the board. Even the theme has stayed largely the same, it seems like Wheel definitely has an identity crisis in terms of its branding.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 09:34:26 AM »

In my subjective opinion, I actually like Wheel. I agree 100% that J! is more fun to watch, although Wheel is a nice, relaxed show. Maybe because I'm not picky when it comes to game shows, maybe it's because I have deeply sentimental memories of watching it with my grandma as a little Koop, but it still holds a deep place in my heart.

Will definitely admit that the show was a bit better when it didn't have all these weird inclusions (like the Express or Crossword) fit in, one of the best parts about J! is that the only thing that has really changed about its core format over the past half-century are its host and the dollar amounts on the board. Even the theme has stayed largely the same, it seems like Wheel definitely has an identity crisis in terms of its branding.

Sans 2000-21 Tongue
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2022, 09:43:02 AM »

Sans 2000-21 Tongue

Did the Jeopardy theme change during the turn of the century? I remember the specific performance changed in 97, and again in 08 and (I think) 21, but I don't recall the theme tune itself changing.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2022, 12:26:04 PM »

Sans 2000-21 Tongue

Did the Jeopardy theme change during the turn of the century? I remember the specific performance changed in 97, and again in 08 and (I think) 21, but I don't recall the theme tune itself changing.

J!'s tune itself has never changed, although the instrumentation thereof certainly has (at the points in time that you pointed out), whereas Wheel's theme tune itself actually changed from 2000-21.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2022, 02:22:46 PM »

Sans 2000-21 Tongue

J!'s tune itself has never changed, although the instrumentation thereof certainly has (at the points in time that you pointed out), whereas Wheel's theme tune itself actually changed from 2000-21.

Yeah, that's what I implied, Wheel's theme was different from the original one, and I think they also have a new new theme that was done a few years ago, but idk

The point I was trying to make is that J! has had a constant and consistent identity while Wheel keeps having to reinvent itself.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 09:24:15 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2022, 09:27:43 PM by Drew »

That is how I remember it, with Jeopardy coming on first.  As a kid in the Chicago market, sometimes my grandpa would be watching it in the afternoon when I came home from school.  Likewise, in Madison, WOF tends to air in the pre-primetime evening slot.

Also, it seems like a lot of Eastern Time Zone stations like airing WOF first for some reason.

And another thing, what do the AK and HI markets air first?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 07:24:55 AM »

And another thing, what do the AK and HI markets air first?

From looking at TV Guides on Wednesday, February 2:

Anchorage - KYUR ABC 13, Jeopardy at 6, Wheel at 6:30
Fairbanks - KATN ABC 2, Jeopardy at 6, Wheel at 6:30
Juneau - KJUD ABC 8, Jeopardy at 6, Wheel at 6:30

Ketchikan - In the Anchorage market where J! is first, but local cable provider KPU apparently airs stations from the Seattle market, where KOMO CBS 4 airs Wheel at 7 and Jeopardy at 7:30.
Honolulu - Interestingly enough, Hawaii airs the two shows on different stations. Jeopardy airs its new episode on KGMB CBS 5 at 4:30, but Wheel is on KHON FOX 2 at 6:30.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 11:36:12 AM »

I guess Jeopardy can air anytime, but the natural progression of things is to have Wheel of Fortune on at 6:30 (or possibly 7:30 for East coasters) so old people can have dinner, watch Jeopardy and go to bed.

KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2022, 05:23:43 AM »

Tacking on to all this, do you guys get only the new episode of J! or do you get it alongside a rerun? Here in Waterloo, KWWL airs a rerun of Jeopardy from a few months ago at 3pm, followed by an episode of 25 Words or Less at 3:30pm (which is a slot formerly occupied by the infinitely superior WWTBAM) and the day's new episode of Jeopardy at 4pm, obviously all CT. For example, next Monday (1/31) will feature S38E46 from November 15, 2021 at 3pm and the new S38E101 from January 31, 2022 at 4pm.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2022, 05:53:38 PM »

Tacking on to all this, do you guys get only the new episode of J! or do you get it alongside a rerun?

WPLG-10 doesn't air the daily Daytime Jeopardy! reruns here in Broward. Our market is one that airs a season-or-so-old re-run on Saturdays, however, & for my family & I, being able to watch them was a nice way of getting to keep being able to see Alex for a bit, albeit weekly if not nightly, at least before they switched the re-run feeds to Mayim & Ken's episodes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies