House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is Not Retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is Not Retiring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi is Not Retiring  (Read 1025 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2022, 06:11:49 PM »

Zendstrummer
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 06:13:40 PM »

Ugh
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 06:17:54 PM »

The whole BBB saga proved that Dem House leadership needs a house cleaning.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 06:19:53 PM »

I'm starting to think that Pelosi might be a lifer. The woman is truly past her welcome. She's been the Democratic House Leader for 19 years, longer than any other Leader of either party, in either House, with the sole exception of Sam Rayburn. Democrats sorely need to remove her from her position, but unfortunately, because of her political connections and fundraising strength, they won't.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 06:21:24 PM »

Thank God. Anything that keeps Jeffries from being leader is fine with me
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 06:23:48 PM »

Prediction: She retires in 2024, after seeing what it is like to not be in the majority again
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 06:24:29 PM »

There are very few politicians in the country that I despise more than that antivaxxer Nancy Pelosi. I can't wait to see her paper-thin majority go down in flames. It's the People's House, not Nancy's castle. And it deserves to be open.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 06:25:02 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2022, 06:29:13 PM by Farmlands »

I'm starting to think that Pelosi might be a lifer. The woman is truly past her welcome. She's been the Democratic House Leader for 19 years, longer than any other Leader of either party, in either House, with the sole exception of Sam Rayburn. Democrats sorely need to remove her from her position, but unfortunately, because of her political connections and fundraising strength, they won't.

The Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn trio seem like they will just never voluntarily relinquish their positions, even as they go well into their eighties. Even the prospect of losing their majority in the House doesn't seem to cut it for them.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 06:25:23 PM »

I’m starting to think she’s trying to be a lifer
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 06:26:20 PM »

There are very few politicians in the country that I despise more than that antivaxxer Nancy Pelosi. I can't wait to see her paper-thin majority go down in flames. It's the People's House, not Nancy's castle. And it deserves to be open.

Pelosi is the second-most unpopular political leader in the country, per Gallup, with only Mitch McConnell being more unpopular than her. I know that you've expressed your frustration that the Capitol Building remains closed to visitors, and you're probably not happy about the House mask mandate which has been in force for most of the past two years. I'm assuming that McCarthy and Republicans will lift all remaining restrictions when they regain a majority in the House.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »

Prediction: She retires in 2024, after seeing what it is like to not be in the majority again

She has been in the minority for about half of her political life (she was first elected in 1987 in a special election).  It is nothing new for her.    
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 06:33:17 PM »

The Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn trio seem like they will just never voluntarily relinquish their positions, even as they go well into their eighties. Even the prospect of losing their majority in the House doesn't seem to cut it for them.

I think that shows their lack of confidence in younger Democrats coming up after them.  Tongue 
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 06:42:55 PM »

That's obviously not true. She has the resounding support of the party, both in Congress and among the base. She's one of the greatest Speakers ever to serve. Even the greats have their setbacks, as with BBB for this Congress. If you point out the overall popularity of Congressional leadership, it is almost invariably bad. I do recall Pelosi's numbers reaching their best when she fought hard against Trump and launched the first impeachment. There was no one better suited to taking on Trump than Nancy Pelosi.

I do think there is a strong element of sexism in many of those that attack her. There are legitimate areas of criticism, yes. However, I rarely hear them levelled at anyone else in leadership, which are basically all men in both parties and both sides of the Capitol.

I don't take her announcement necessarily as one that means she'll serve as leader of the party or even serve her entire next term. If she announced her retirement now, she'd be a lame duck and her power would disappear in an instant. Assuming Democrats lose the House (as is likely now), I think she wants to have a role in establishing her successor. No one knows the job like her. If the Democratic Party is to have a strong leader going forward, I'd feel a lot better if they had Nancy Pelosi's seal of approval. I've seen the recent disastrous Republican Speakers and leadership and I'm not anxious to copy them there. The fact that Pelosi has held the reins as leader of the party for this long is a testament to her power and skills. I'm not someone that gets excited about having new blood for the sake of having new blood. I want a strong leader than can keep control and always win on the floor where and when it counts.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 06:44:35 PM »

The whole BBB saga proved that Dem House leadership needs a house cleaning.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 07:27:43 PM »

That is because, unlike Republican leaders, she actually represents and effectively pushes for what the average Dem partisan wants. In most polls, she is strongly disliked by the vast majority of independents (and R's, obviously), but still gets favorable ratings from most Democrats. The Dem leadership class is so old in part because the Democratic base has largely not been clamoring for a change. For the past three decades, their nominees have largely been from two families and two tickets (Obama/Biden and Clinton/Gore).
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 07:39:02 PM »

Our young party is led by a bunch of old hags smh
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 07:49:51 PM »

It is clearly better for the Democratic Party for Pelosi to stand for reelection, Democrats lose control of the House and then she retires (perhaps even resigns to allow a special election, where also a handpicked successor is more likely to triumph in the Congressional seat) in 2023 than it is for Pelosi to announce her retirement now, kicking off a succession battle before the Democrats have even lost control of the House, with the new House leader coming into a loss immediately and having to manage the transition to minority.

Will she do that? Maybe, maybe not. But it's the most sensible way for things to go. It would be chaos if she retired this year.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 09:58:11 PM »

I like Pelosi and she's one of the most effective Speakers we've had, but it's time for some new blood.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 10:26:58 PM »

I wonder if being the face of trading stocks will impact her. Regardless, I expect this to be more of a race for her than last year unless a Republican (or Shahid Buttar lol) nabs the #2 spot
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 10:33:03 PM »

Thank God. Anything that keeps Jeffries from being leader is fine with me

This sentiment is why his general incompetence is tolerated by the triumvirate. They don’t have confidence in younger Democrats because they have promoted those least likely to threaten their positions. It’s the iron law of institutions at work, and it’s why so many ambitious House Democrats (already filtered to some extent by DCCC-influenced primaries) get frozen out, give up and go to the Senate/state government.

I’m really not sure Jeffries could become Speaker if/when Pelosi, Hoyer and Clyburn went.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 10:55:33 PM »

I had a feeling she might change her mind. But the probability was tiny.
Hmmmm.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 01:44:35 AM »

How does your party's rejection of voting rights and embrace of gerrymandering and the filibuster jibe with "the People's House"?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 01:56:05 AM »

That's obviously not true. She has the resounding support of the party, both in Congress and among the base. She's one of the greatest Speakers ever to serve. Even the greats have their setbacks, as with BBB for this Congress. If you point out the overall popularity of Congressional leadership, it is almost invariably bad. I do recall Pelosi's numbers reaching their best when she fought hard against Trump and launched the first impeachment. There was no one better suited to taking on Trump than Nancy Pelosi.

I do think there is a strong element of sexism in many of those that attack her. There are legitimate areas of criticism, yes. However, I rarely hear them levelled at anyone else in leadership, which are basically all men in both parties and both sides of the Capitol.

I don't take her announcement necessarily as one that means she'll serve as leader of the party or even serve her entire next term. If she announced her retirement now, she'd be a lame duck and her power would disappear in an instant. Assuming Democrats lose the House (as is likely now), I think she wants to have a role in establishing her successor. No one knows the job like her. If the Democratic Party is to have a strong leader going forward, I'd feel a lot better if they had Nancy Pelosi's seal of approval. I've seen the recent disastrous Republican Speakers and leadership and I'm not anxious to copy them there. The fact that Pelosi has held the reins as leader of the party for this long is a testament to her power and skills. I'm not someone that gets excited about having new blood for the sake of having new blood. I want a strong leader than can keep control and always win on the floor where and when it counts.

As I noted earlier, Pelosi possesses the fundraising strength and political conditions that will enable her to retain her position. And I'm not going to doubt that she's been an effective congressional leader. She does know how to keep the caucus in line and how to whip votes, and certainly has been able to strategically outmaneuver her Republican opponents, from Boehner and McCarthy to Trump. However, I'm not someone who is favorable towards politicians that serve for lengthy periods of time, and after nearly 20 years, it would behoove the Democratic caucus to obtain younger and fresher leadership. Why is it not possible for them to promote people like Jayapal into leadership? People who are just as loyal to the Party and its ideals, but who will be able to lead it into the future.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 03:19:25 AM »

That is because, unlike Republican leaders, she actually represents and effectively pushes for what the average Dem partisan wants. In most polls, she is strongly disliked by the vast majority of independents (and R's, obviously), but still gets favorable ratings from most Democrats. The Dem leadership class is so old in part because the Democratic base has largely not been clamoring for a change. For the past three decades, their nominees have largely been from two families and two tickets (Obama/Biden and Clinton/Gore).
I do have to agree with this. The Republican leadership is insanely out of step with their base, doing literally nothing that they want, but democrats seem to actually turn their base's demands into action or attempted action.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »

I like Pelosi and she's one of the most effective Speakers we've had, but it's time for some new blood.

Agreed. Some people just don't know when it's enough and retire gracefully (see DiFi). Democrats should pick an entire new leadership team in the next congress. Hoyer and Clyburn are too old as well. Especially since the president is that old, a younger team of Democratic leaders would be a good thing.

Pelosi missed the chance to finish her career at a good point in time. Ideally she would have retired after Biden's first year as president and now hand the gavel over to someone younger.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies