Outcome of the SCOTUS Alabama redistricting case?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:20:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Outcome of the SCOTUS Alabama redistricting case?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Lower court upheld; Alabama goes 5-2

SCOTUS reinstates the old map; Alabama goes 6-1

SCOTUS gets rid of Section 2 districts entirely; Alabama goes 7-0

Write-in

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Outcome of the SCOTUS Alabama redistricting case?  (Read 686 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2022, 03:23:52 PM »

What do you think will happen regarding the redistricting case Alabama is appealing to the Supreme Court? I feel like they'll make up some hackish reason to go back to 6-1. Thoughts?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 03:33:15 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2022, 04:08:08 PM by lfromnj »

What do you think will happen regarding the redistricting case Alabama is appealing to the Supreme Court? I feel like they'll make up some hackish reason to go back to 6-1. Thoughts?

There's nothing  politically hackish about either sides views on VRA districts in SCOTUS. (It may be ideological) They have been fairly consistent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_v._Johnson
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 04:22:23 PM »

The Supreme Court gets rid of Section 2 of the VRA entirely with one of the non-Thomas (could be any of them) conservatives joining the liberals for a 5-4 decision.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 04:31:23 PM »

You know what my belief is (7 safe R-0D).
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 05:00:58 PM »

There's nothing  politically hackish about either sides views on VRA districts in SCOTUS. (It may be ideological) They have been fairly consistent.

I don't really see what coherent argument you could make to justify the position "well, minority districts are required, but they need not be proportional to the racial minority's share of the state's population."
UncleSam

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2022, 04:02:40 PM »

I don't really see what coherent argument you could make to justify the position "well, minority districts are required, but they need not be proportional to the racial minority's share of the state's population."
Because proportionality falls apart when looking at actual voting patterns? For example if Rs were a ‘minority’ in CA it’d be almost impossible to draw proportional seats for them. Proportionality is not a reasonable expectation when the top line numbers are 62-38.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 04:15:36 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2022, 04:21:17 PM by lfromnj »

Because proportionality falls apart when looking at actual voting patterns? For example if Rs were a ‘minority’ in CA it’d be almost impossible to draw proportional seats for them. Proportionality is not a reasonable expectation when the top line numbers are 62-38.
Along with this its really weird that a supreme court getting rid of AA in all likelihood will require 2 black seats in Alabama  because 27% population rule.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2022, 05:41:07 PM »

It's definitely a reasonable expectation specifically in Alabama specifically regarding race. Like, the reasonable options are one black district or two, and two is proportional. What arguments could there be in favor of one?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »

There's nothing  politically hackish about either sides views on VRA districts in SCOTUS. (It may be ideological) They have been fairly consistent.

It's definitely a reasonable expectation specifically in Alabama specifically regarding race. Like, the reasonable options are one black district or two, and two is proportional. What arguments could there be in favor of one?

That two VRA seats in Alabama requires a bad map under other "neutral" criteria the legislature may find important: compactness, COIs, etc.  Alabama argues that claims for additional VRA districts need to pass a balancing test that incorporates considerations for other redistricting criteria

And such a balancing test may very well produce an outcome favorable to the legislature, since deciding between 1 or 2 Black districts is perhaps fundamentally different than deciding between 0 or 1 
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2022, 12:29:56 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2022, 05:21:38 PM by ERM64man »

I made a map with more focus on COIs and compactness that still has two Democratic districts. Birmingham and Montgomery shouldn't be in the same district.

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2022, 03:35:47 PM »

There's nothing  politically hackish about either sides views on VRA districts in SCOTUS. (It may be ideological) They have been fairly consistent.

That two VRA seats in Alabama requires a bad map under other "neutral" criteria the legislature may find important: compactness, COIs, etc.  Alabama argues that claims for additional VRA districts need to pass a balancing test that incorporates considerations for other redistricting criteria

And such a balancing test may very well produce an outcome favorable to the legislature, since deciding between 1 or 2 Black districts is perhaps fundamentally different than deciding between 0 or 1 

Would this apply to other states? Could Illinois then get rid of all its VRA seats save one? I think if that's what they go for it would either need to be hackish or could easily backfire.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2022, 04:01:25 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2022, 04:26:30 PM by lfromnj »

That two VRA seats in Alabama requires a bad map under other "neutral" criteria the legislature may find important: compactness, COIs, etc.  Alabama argues that claims for additional VRA districts need to pass a balancing test that incorporates considerations for other redistricting criteria

Would this apply to other states? Could Illinois then get rid of all its VRA seats save one? I think if that's what they go for it would either need to be hackish or could easily backfire.

Illinois doesn't just keep its VRA seats because they are VRA seats but because they are part of the Democratic coalitian. Illinois didn't need to draw the 2nd hispanic oppurtunity district but hispanics in the legislature effectively forced it. Look at how Wisconsin Democrats actually barely had majority support for Tony Ever's "fair maps".

For example in a fair map I think a reasonable option regarding diversity in the Chicago metro I think  would obviously keep Robin Kelly's district to take the southside black suburbs  and that tiny strip of Will county with the "spillover". After that Bobby Rush's seat would become something 60% black and take the rest of the Southside black areas of Chicago. The Hispanic district would solely be concentrated on the southern end  of the district while Danny K Davis's district becomes similar to a black seat in LA. It would be evenly hispanic and black right now but blacks would likely control the seat for a while. Lastly if one wishes not for VRA reasons but you can draw a fairly compact Aurora to Joliet seat to make a majority minority seat in the Chicago suburbs/Satellite cities.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »

I would be shocked at this point if they don’t scrap VRA districts completely. Roberts especially hates the idea of black people participating in the democratic process, and I doubt any of the other 4 conservatives are to his left on this. I think Democratic lawyers made a huge mistake here.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2022, 04:31:38 PM »

I would be shocked at this point if they don’t scrap VRA districts completely. Roberts especially hates the idea of black people participating in the democratic process, and I doubt any of the other 4 conservatives are to his left on this. I think Democratic lawyers made a huge mistake here.

Then why was the map struck down by conservative courts?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2022, 04:34:53 PM »

4D chess: conservative jurists are obviously #evil so they struck down the Alabama Legislature's map just so the entire VRA could be killed on appeal to SCOTUS, lmao
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2022, 04:37:19 PM »

4D chess: conservative jurists are obviously #evil so they struck down the Alabama Legislature's map just so the entire VRA could be killed on appeal to SCOTUS, lmao
Yes. The Trump judges who struck down the map don't want to look like they're defying SCOTUS.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »

I’m not the only one who thinks 7-0.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 10:10:08 AM »

The Voting Rights Act gets overturned in a 5-4 decision. Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch, and Clarence Thomas author the majority opinion, whereas Amy Coney Barrett and Brett Kavanaugh write concurring opinions.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 02:40:10 PM »

Who’s going to be the white Republican who replaces Terri Sewell in AL-07?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies