Court of Appeals Ideological Leanings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:53:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Court of Appeals Ideological Leanings
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Court of Appeals Ideological Leanings  (Read 1319 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:02:35 PM »

Popping in with a bit of a dumb question for our legal experts.

I know several Courts of Appeals have particularly well known ideological bents, like the 5th circuit's conservatism or the 9th circuit's liberalism/leftism. I've taken a look at the appointing presidents in each circuit but I know that's not always a perfect measure, especially since the process used to be less partisan. But what are the general skews of the other courts?

(I know a lot of things are decided en banc anyway, but still!)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 12:33:38 PM by Vosem »

I know several Courts of Appeals have particularly well known ideological bents, like the 5th circuit's conservatism or the 9th circuit's liberalism/leftism. I've taken a look at the appointing presidents in each circuit but I know that's not always a perfect measure, especially since the process used to be less partisan. But what are the general skews of the other courts?

Just counting Presidents was a poor strategy 20 years ago, but it's become a better one since then as Obama and Trump nominated virtually no circuit court judges who didn't share their ideological leanings, and even Bush nominated very few (Peter Hall is gone, but I guess Helene White and Ilana Rovner -- a GHWB nominee -- are still there). Probably the best way to do this is simply to count Presidents -- you'll get a small number of errors but they'll mostly cancel out -- and also active senior judges, and count them at about 1/3 strength. (This will also have a weird distorting effect, because some senior judges maintain full caseloads and some hear a token case every few years, particularly elderly judges whose pride doesn't let them admit they're retired, but 1/3 is typical and should be about accurate in general).

This gives you the following ideological leans (at time of writing, January 24, 2022; courts are slowly moving left under the Biden Administration of course):
DC Circuit: Democrat 7.3 - 5.3 Republican
1st Circuit: Democrat 5.3 - 1.7 Republican
2nd Circuit: Democrat 9.3 - 7.7 Republican
3rd Circuit: Republican 9.3 - 6.7 Democrat (good example of a court that's about to have a liberal majority of active judges, but will continue to tilt right because there are so many Reaganite/GWB senior judges)
4th Circuit: Democrat 9.0 - 6.3 Republican
5th Circuit: Republican 14.0 - 5.3 Democrat
6th Circuit: Republican 14.0 - 5.7 Democrat (misleading, while this is a solidly right-wing court some of the Republicans here are liberal-ish; it's not at the same level as the Fifth)
7th Circuit: Republican 9.3 - 3.0 Democrat
8th Circuit: Republican 11.0 - 1.0 Democrat (the only total win in America -- liberals cannot win a three-judge panel here)
9th Circuit: Democrat 19.7 - 16.7 Republican (not that liberal anymore but there's still an advantage; note that the Ninth has a unique rule that 11 randomly selected judges, rather than the whole court, sit en banc, so even en banc sittings here are winnable for conservatives)
10th Circuit: Democrat 7.3 - 6.3 Republican
11th Circuit: Republican 8.7 - 5.0 Democrat
Fed Circuit (nonideological, just for fun): Democrat 9.0 - 5.3 Republican

This is pretty good. The most liberal Circuit nowadays is probably the Fourth (even though it largely covers some conservative states!) rather than the Ninth, which still tilts liberal but is more closely contested. Speaking very generally, and I think this has become less true with Trump-appointed judges taking office, conservative-dominated courts in the South (particularly the Fifth and Eleventh) tend to be more strident than conservative-dominated courts in the Midwest (the Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth). The Eighth certainly should be the most conservative circuit but in practice it somehow seems to be the Fifth.

Something like this exists on the liberal side, too -- the Fourth seems more strident than the First or Second. Judges in the American South just seem to be more ideological.

(Note that under this metric, SCOTUS is Republican 6.0 - 3.0 Democrat, since they don't allow senior judges.)

Good sources for ideology on the courts might be The Vetting Room, which is written from a liberal perspective and discusses the biographies and perspectives of new incoming judges, or from a conservative perspective and from late 2019, a series from RRH called "President Trump and the Judiciary".
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:54:34 PM »

Thank you for the thorough answer!
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 02:13:18 PM »

Yes, the 4th has clearly overtaken the 9th as of the late Obama-Trump era. Trump came within a couple active judges of "flipping" the 9th and almost surely would have "flipped" it in a 2nd term.  However, a couple of the older R appointees there are quite moderate.

Obama came very close to "flipping" the 11th.  I think it even had a one-seat Dem-appointed majority in 2016 but with a known conservadem?

Interesting that the New England 1st Circuit never got the same uber-liberal reputation as the West Coast 9th.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 03:55:26 PM »
« Edited: January 24, 2022, 04:13:41 PM by Donerail »

Just counting Presidents was a poor strategy 20 years ago, but it's become a better one since then as Obama and Trump nominated virtually no circuit court judges who didn't share their ideological leanings, and even Bush nominated very few (Peter Hall is gone, but I guess Helene White and Ilana Rovner -- a GHWB nominee -- are still there).
On the other side of things, the only Clinton judge who regularly pops up in voting with conservatives is Judge Tallman on the 9th. There's a handful of outliers here (Gregory on the 4th...) and it may be easier to just learn who they are.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 05:35:11 PM »

Obama did appoint at least one Federalist Society member, although he became notable for his scathing decision striking down Trump's post-election lawsuit in Pennsylvania.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 05:58:47 PM »

Interesting that the New England 1st Circuit never got the same uber-liberal reputation as the West Coast 9th.

One has California & one doesn't.

Obama did appoint at least one Federalist Society member, although he became notable for his scathing decision striking down Trump's post-election lawsuit in Pennsylvania.

And Poppy Bush appointed Sotomayor to her first judicial position at the trial level. Some Senators who represent the President's opposition (e.g., Moynihan, Toomey) will be given a paired nomination from their state's fellow Senator of the President's party (e.g., D'Amato, Casey), who generally recommends a given state's federal judicial candidates to the White House.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 10:56:07 PM »

Just counting Presidents was a poor strategy 20 years ago, but it's become a better one since then as Obama and Trump nominated virtually no circuit court judges who didn't share their ideological leanings, and even Bush nominated very few (Peter Hall is gone, but I guess Helene White and Ilana Rovner -- a GHWB nominee -- are still there). Probably the best way to do this is simply to count Presidents -- you'll get a small number of errors but they'll mostly cancel out -- and also active senior judges, and count them at about 1/3 strength. (This will also have a weird distorting effect, because some senior judges maintain full caseloads and some hear a token case every few years, particularly elderly judges whose pride doesn't let them admit they're retired, but 1/3 is typical and should be about accurate in general).

This gives you the following ideological leans (at time of writing, January 24, 2022; courts are slowly moving left under the Biden Administration of course):
DC Circuit: Democrat 7.3 - 5.3 Republican
1st Circuit: Democrat 5.3 - 1.7 Republican
2nd Circuit: Democrat 9.3 - 7.7 Republican
3rd Circuit: Republican 9.3 - 6.7 Democrat (good example of a court that's about to have a liberal majority of active judges, but will continue to tilt right because there are so many Reaganite/GWB senior judges)
4th Circuit: Democrat 9.0 - 6.3 Republican
5th Circuit: Republican 14.0 - 5.3 Democrat
6th Circuit: Republican 14.0 - 5.7 Democrat (misleading, while this is a solidly right-wing court some of the Republicans here are liberal-ish; it's not at the same level as the Fifth)
7th Circuit: Republican 9.3 - 3.0 Democrat
8th Circuit: Republican 11.0 - 1.0 Democrat (the only total win in America -- liberals cannot win a three-judge panel here)
9th Circuit: Democrat 19.7 - 16.7 Republican (not that liberal anymore but there's still an advantage; note that the Ninth has a unique rule that 11 randomly selected judges, rather than the whole court, sit en banc, so even en banc sittings here are winnable for conservatives)
10th Circuit: Democrat 7.3 - 6.3 Republican
11th Circuit: Republican 8.7 - 5.0 Democrat
Fed Circuit (nonideological, just for fun): Democrat 9.0 - 5.3 Republican

This is pretty good. The most liberal Circuit nowadays is probably the Fourth (even though it largely covers some conservative states!) rather than the Ninth, which still tilts liberal but is more closely contested. Speaking very generally, and I think this has become less true with Trump-appointed judges taking office, conservative-dominated courts in the South (particularly the Fifth and Eleventh) tend to be more strident than conservative-dominated courts in the Midwest (the Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth). The Eighth certainly should be the most conservative circuit but in practice it somehow seems to be the Fifth.

Something like this exists on the liberal side, too -- the Fourth seems more strident than the First or Second. Judges in the American South just seem to be more ideological.

(Note that under this metric, SCOTUS is Republican 6.0 - 3.0 Democrat, since they don't allow senior judges.)

Good sources for ideology on the courts might be The Vetting Room, which is written from a liberal perspective and discusses the biographies and perspectives of new incoming judges, or from a conservative perspective and from late 2019, a series from RRH called "President Trump and the Judiciary".
Helene White is a Solid D and a compromise pick. Ilana Rovner is Souter.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:15 PM »

Just counting Presidents was a poor strategy 20 years ago, but it's become a better one since then as Obama and Trump nominated virtually no circuit court judges who didn't share their ideological leanings, and even Bush nominated very few (Peter Hall is gone, but I guess Helene White and Ilana Rovner -- a GHWB nominee -- are still there).
On the other side of things, the only Clinton judge who regularly pops up in voting with conservatives is Judge Tallman on the 9th. There's a handful of outliers here (Gregory on the 4th...) and it may be easier to just learn who they are.
I think the most conservative Dem judge is José A. Cabranes. Gregory is a Dem pick that Bush renominated.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 05:33:17 PM »

Yeah, I counted Gregory as a Clinton-appointed judge. Tallman is probably the premier example of an active Conservadem, while White is the most liberal Republican (because she was an explicit liberal appointed as part of an agreement with Carl Levin (D-MI), who actually nominated her). Often these outliers nowadays are to get the support of specific Senators for specific policies, where a single judgeship is seen as inconsequential enough to use as a bargaining chip.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 07:52:28 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2022, 06:58:26 PM by brucejoel99 »

It should also be noted as a general matter that there are definitely judges out there who are ruling differently (i.e., more moderately) at the trial & intermediate appellate levels than they would be if they were one of the Supremes. See: RBG, Sotomayor.

Yeah, I counted Gregory as a Clinton-appointed judge. Tallman is probably the premier example of an active Conservadem, while White is the most liberal Republican (because she was an explicit liberal appointed as part of an agreement with Carl Levin (D-MI), who actually nominated her). Often these outliers nowadays are to get the support of specific Senators for specific policies, where a single judgeship is seen as inconsequential enough to use as a bargaining chip.

To be explicitly clear, W. still nominated her. Levin & Stabenow merely played the role of telling him that her nomination was required if he wanted a chance in hell of them signing off on Kethledge's blue slips so that he could get confirmed.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 09:04:29 PM »

That's only surprising in principle, but not in practice. First, look at the geography of each circuit. Second, look at the states comprising each. California doesn't push liberalism anywhere near as much as Texas pushes its conservatism now. The Fifth Circuit also covers Mississippi, which has also not been shy on pushing laws that are sure to reach the federal courts.

Right-wingers also like to do some forum shopping and love to pick Texas. They love to go to the Northern District of Texas and get Judge Reed O'Connor. If you don't know who that is already, you're in for something. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to strike down Social Security or Medicare. Even the Fifth Circuit as a whole isn't that right-wing.

I didn't realize until now how bad the Eleventh Circuit had become. It had an 8-3 Democratic-appointed majority when Obama left office. It's 7-4 Republican now.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 02:52:02 AM »

It should also be noted as a general matter that there are definitely judges out there who are ruling differently (i.e., more moderately) at the trial & intermediate appellate levels than they would be if they were one of the Supremes. See: RBG.

To be explicitly clear, W. still nominated her. Levin & Stabenow merely played the role of telling him that her nomination was required if he wanted a chance in hell of them signing off on Kethledge's blue slips so that he could get confirmed.
I would just count here as a D, since she was originally nominated by Clinton but blued by R senator.

RBG was moderate in her first few years on SC. She just evolved like Stevens and many others.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 09:10:57 PM »

Impressive how much knowledge the posters above have on this topic - far more than I. Kudos to all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 08:45:43 AM »

So, the ideological balance of the Federal courts outside of SCOTUS is actually pretty balanced?
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 08:57:48 AM »

That's only surprising in principle, but not in practice. First, look at the geography of each circuit. Second, look at the states comprising each. California doesn't push liberalism anywhere near as much as Texas pushes its conservatism now. The Fifth Circuit also covers Mississippi, which has also not been shy on pushing laws that are sure to reach the federal courts.

Right-wingers also like to do some forum shopping and love to pick Texas. They love to go to the Northern District of Texas and get Judge Reed O'Connor. If you don't know who that is already, you're in for something. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to strike down Social Security or Medicare. Even the Fifth Circuit as a whole isn't that right-wing.

I didn't realize until now how bad the Eleventh Circuit had become. It had an 8-3 Democratic-appointed majority when Obama left office. It's 7-4 Republican now.
There is a ATL based vacancy right now. It's interesting that Biden nominated Nancy Abudu for that GA seat, who was born in VA and mainly worked in FL. I am not sure how would the two D senators from GA handle that.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 09:03:13 AM »

So, the ideological balance of the Federal courts outside of SCOTUS is actually pretty balanced?
Not really. D have a sizable lead DC, 1st, 4th only. 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th are close. R have a sizable lead in all others.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2022, 01:49:23 AM »

Conservatives are quite close to that point on the First Circuit. The last Republican-appointed judge on that circuit is assuming senior status soon (a GWB appointee). Two Republican appointees with senior status are no longer actively hearing cases. Assuming Biden gets a successor confirmed, that would leave zero Republican-appointed judges in active service and two in senior status (including the quite interesting Bruce Selya).

I think it's also worth noting that former Justice Souter also sits by designation on the First Circuit from time to time. I imagine Justice Breyer would probably like to sit by designation on the circuit courts (or even district courts, as then-Justice Rehnquist did once while on the Court) from time to time, although I don't think there's anything in particular that would necessarily mean he would have to or want to sit on the First Circuit in particular.

There is a ATL based vacancy right now. It's interesting that Biden nominated Nancy Abudu for that GA seat, who was born in VA and mainly worked in FL. I am not sure how would the two D senators from GA handle that.

I'm really not sure how that works anymore. However, her nomination submitted to the Senate states that she is from Georgia. I would assume that she has since moved to Georgia, likely the Atlanta area.

Not really. D have a sizable lead DC, 1st, 4th only. 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th are close. R have a sizable lead in all others.

It's worth remember that the DC Circuit's importance is what ultimately led Democrats to unleash the nuclear option over Republican intransigence. Republicans were outright not allowing any further nominees to proceed after the confirmation of Sri Srinivasan.

And yeah, the overall balance is roughly 53%R/45%D. Most Biden appointments so far are filling Clinton-appointees assuming senior status, but there are some Republican-appointed slots that have opened and started opening. McConnell was disturbingly effective at moving Trump's nominees through the Senate. He got in one term what GWB and Obama got in two.

If Democrats lose the Senate this year, I'm guessing at best Democratic-appointees take a narrow advantage and maybe a very select few get past McConnell. If Democrats can hold the Senate, I expect Schumer to play McConnell's game to the letter.

One thing that is interesting though is that even after four years of relentless judicial confirmations under the Trump/McConnell team, R-appointed judges only took a 318-317 lead at the end of 2020. That has since reversed in the other direction to a 314-296 advantage (and growing).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2022, 05:10:02 PM »

Conservatives are quite close to that point on the First Circuit. The last Republican-appointed judge on that circuit is assuming senior status soon (a GWB appointee). Two Republican appointees with senior status are no longer actively hearing cases. Assuming Biden gets a successor confirmed, that would leave zero Republican-appointed judges in active service and two in senior status (including the quite interesting Bruce Selya).

Everything that you've said is technically correct, although it should be noted that Judge Gelpí was a W. appointee on the district court in PR &, for a Biden judge, is ruling well to the right of the mainstream, having just voted with Chief Judge Howard & the 'conservative' position in 2 immigration cases as well as in a recent 1A en-banc vote.

I think it's also worth noting that former Justice Souter also sits by designation on the First Circuit from time to time.

Unfortunately, Justice Souter hasn't sat-by-designation since Jan. 2020. Hopefully he'd like to return after the pandemic.

I imagine Justice Breyer would probably like to sit by designation on the circuit courts (or even district courts, as then-Justice Rehnquist did once while on the Court) from time to time, although I don't think there's anything in particular that would necessarily mean he would have to or want to sit on the First Circuit in particular.

Something tells me that the fact that Justice Breyer's home is <5 mi. from the First Circuit's main courthouse would probably make it an easier choice to sit-by-designation on than, say, the Fairbanks duty station on the district court in AK Tongue
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2022, 08:56:42 PM »

Everything that you've said is technically correct, although it should be noted that Judge Gelpí was a W. appointee on the district court in PR &, for a Biden judge, is ruling well to the right of the mainstream, having just voted with Chief Judge Howard & the 'conservative' position in 2 immigration cases as well as in a recent 1A en-banc vote.

Why would Biden do so? There is nothing to stop him from nominating a liberal to that seat.

And most R senators voted against Judge Gelpí.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 10:18:16 PM »

Why would Biden do so? There is nothing to stop him from nominating a liberal to that seat.

Gelpí was the choice pushed by leading members of the New Progressive Party, which currently includes both Gov. Pedro Pierluisi (a Democrat) and Resident Commissioner Jenniffer González (a Republican). He was known to be a moderate from his history as a judge (he was appointed to the district court by Bush and had made donations to members of both mainland parties), and island progressives were advocating for a different choice, Gina Méndez-Miró, who sits on a territorial appellate court. Biden certainly could have gone with a more liberal appointee for this seat — there are some rumors that he plans to do so for future judicial vacancies linked to Puerto Rico — but in this case he chose not to risk alienating the local politicians who supported Gelpí.

The vast majority of Republican senators are opposed to any Biden nominees to any court. The fact that they voted against Gelpí, who's had a spotless record over two decades as a federal judge, says more about the state of the Republican Party than it does about any particular judge.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2022, 10:57:42 PM »

That's a good point. I don't know the biographies of most circuit judges. That is why I generally tend to use party-appointee as opposed to liberal or conservative. That said, there are a number of judges that are the other way around. I think we all tend to try to oversimplify these things outside SCOTUS itself.

Unfortunately, Justice Souter hasn't sat-by-designation since Jan. 2020. Hopefully he'd like to return after the pandemic.

Interestingly, he was on a panel in 2020 for a Fourth Amendment case that was unanimously overturned by the Supreme Court (Caniglia v. Strom) last year.

Something tells me that the fact that Justice Breyer's home is <5 mi. from the First Circuit's main courthouse would probably make it an easier choice to sit-by-designation on than, say, the Fairbanks duty station on the district court in AK Tongue

I wasn't aware that Justice Breyer still had a residence in the First Circuit. Obviously, I knew Justice Souter did, particularly because he was known to hate DC (which was apparently the main reason he retired). Justice Breyer strikes me as the type that wouldn't mind doing some work at the district court level in addition to work at the circuit court level. It's sort of a shame we don't have some form of senior status work for the Supreme Court itself, especially for those cases where sitting Justices recuse themselves.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 06:02:41 AM »

Gelpí was the choice pushed by leading members of the New Progressive Party, which currently includes both Gov. Pedro Pierluisi (a Democrat) and Resident Commissioner Jenniffer González (a Republican). He was known to be a moderate from his history as a judge (he was appointed to the district court by Bush and had made donations to members of both mainland parties), and island progressives were advocating for a different choice, Gina Méndez-Miró, who sits on a territorial appellate court. Biden certainly could have gone with a more liberal appointee for this seat — there are some rumors that he plans to do so for future judicial vacancies linked to Puerto Rico — but in this case he chose not to risk alienating the local politicians who supported Gelpí.

The vast majority of Republican senators are opposed to any Biden nominees to any court. The fact that they voted against Gelpí, who's had a spotless record over two decades as a federal judge, says more about the state of the Republican Party than it does about any particular judge.
I remember the previous R nominee was pushed by Jenniffer González, and he seems moderate. Graham even held the hearing for him, hoping Biden to renominate him, like Bushed did for Judge Gregory. If Biden are not determined to nominate a liberal, why didn't he just renominate him to get bipartisan support?

There were some nominees who got much more support than Gelpí, like the one to the Federal circuit, and some to the district court. But Gelpí was almost party-line. I find that surprising, since a moderate should be better for R anyway.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2022, 11:11:36 AM »

Brann is a district judge, though (and the Williamsport, Pennsylvania duty station is not exactly excitement central under normal circumstances). Obama wouldn't have nominated him to a Third Circuit vacancy.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »

Curious where this may go with Democrats retaining the Senate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies