Opinion of CentristRepublican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:05:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of CentristRepublican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: ??
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opinion of CentristRepublican?  (Read 3040 times)
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 07:42:46 PM »

I admire his condescending attitude, although it is frankly impossible for me to take it seriously due to the fact that he must have atleast 30 fewer IQ points than me.

By definition, lower than absolute zero is impossible to obtain.

THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 07:46:17 PM »

He’s akin to S019 but with Adam Kinzinger’s political views (if that).

I admire his condescending attitude, although it is frankly impossible for me to take it seriously due to the fact that he must have atleast 30 fewer IQ points than me. Not to mention how frustrating, slow, and utterly humorless he is. I genuinely don’t think he grasps the concept of hyperbole.

Wow, how full of yourself can you get?
This honestly also feels like a classic case of projection. ("Condescending attitude" - even THG has admitted he has this; "How...Utterly humorless he is" - I remember a matchup between him and a Confederate sympathizer, DeadPrez, where DeadPrez won some votes because people remarked that at least he had a sense of humour and was funnier than THG, so...)

I admire his condescending attitude, although it is frankly impossible for me to take it seriously due to the fact that he must have atleast 30 fewer IQ points than me.

Putting this one in the burn centre.

Again, CR. I genuinely believe that you are a well intentioned individual in-spite of our otherwise low opinions of each other, but you fail to grasp people using obvious hyperbole and deliberate exaggerations for comedic effect.

You’ll get it one day, don’t fret.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 07:56:31 PM »

Seems to confuse wealth and morality to a frustrating degree. Hopefully he learns that one with the latter ought to be warier of the former. Not the typical error of any teenager I've ever met, but hopefully college corrects that with exposure.

No strong opinion - clearly some detractors are far more unflattering when they should be better behaved.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 08:04:58 PM »

I admire his condescending attitude, although it is frankly impossible for me to take it seriously due to the fact that he must have atleast 30 fewer IQ points than me. Not to mention how frustrating, slow, and utterly humorless he is. I genuinely don’t think he grasps the concept of hyperbole.

This honestly also feels like a classic case of projection. ("Condescending attitude" - even THG has admitted he has this; "How...Utterly humorless he is" - I remember a matchup between him and a Confederate sympathizer, DeadPrez, where DeadPrez won some votes because people remarked that at least he had a sense of humour and was funnier than THG, so...)

Again, CR. I genuinely believe that you are a well intentioned individual in-spite of our otherwise low opinions of each other, but you fail to grasp people using obvious hyperbole and deliberate exaggerations for comedic effect.

Honestly, and I say this without irony/sarcasm, I could say the same to you.
As a side comment, though, how is it not full of yourself to say of someone else, unironically, that they must be 'atleast 30 IQ points lower' than yourself. I mean...wow. I doubt any other poster would be that sure of themselves to go about saying that.

Seems to confuse wealth and morality to a frustrating degree. Hopefully he learns that one with the latter ought to be warier of the former. Not the typical error of any teenager I've ever met, but hopefully college corrects that with exposure.

No strong opinion - clearly some detractors are far more unflattering when they should be better behaved.

I think wealth, to a small extent, roughly corresponds to intelligence - a very rough and imperfect correlation, not a perfect one by any means whatsoever - though there are more than enough obvious exceptions (Don Jr and his siblings may be rich but are dumb as bricks). Not saying wealth = intelligence, but that there is definitely some small, imperfect correlation to a small extent. But I never have and never will confuse wealth with morality: they are two very separate things and I know of very rich but immoral people (more than enough examples such as, again, Donald Trump) and poor but moral and principled people. Honestly, vote HP if you want, but I just don't want it to be based on what I know is false (not saying you're lying, but rather that you have gravely misunderstood, or I have very poorly articulated, my views if you truly believe this).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 08:06:39 PM »

What an original rebuttal. Isn't that a Dule meme?
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 08:29:50 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 08:49:26 PM by THG »

Honestly, and I say this without irony/sarcasm, I could say the same to you.
As a side comment, though, how is it not full of yourself to say of someone else, unironically, that they must be 'atleast 30 IQ points lower' than yourself. I mean...wow. I doubt any other poster would be that sure of themselves to go about saying that.

The “30 IQ points” comment was the hyperbolic joke in question.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 11:05:46 PM »

Those apologies are genuine. Sorry if you don't see them that way. I try to avoid getting rude or making assumptions, but when I do, I try and apologize. THG himself, though we aren't on good terms, would tell you that after a particularly heated moment I reached out via PM to apologize. I'm not hear to strawman or be condescending, though of course, sometimes I inadvertently do both. Which is why I then apologize. But I don't see how to win if I do something you disagree with, apologize for it, but you refuse to accept my apology and rebuff it.

I don't mean to say this to drag you or reject your apology, but as a genuine piece of life advice:

Any apology with the words "if" or "but" in it is not an apology. It's an excuse.

The problem with those two little letters is that you come off like you're hedging back on the notion you're doing something wrong. Saying something like "You're delusional if you think the NHGOP is an extremist party," "You're exaggerating if you think my candidate is far-right," or "I don't think you're capable of proving your position" is by nature condescending and belittling. I made it pretty clear multiple times that "if I felt like" was not a question.

Instead of manning up and taking accountability for what you said, you came off like you shifted the blame onto me for "misinterpreting" it. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I think you have a lot of room for personal growth as a poster and I hope you will take these lessons to heart. You've clearly shown you have the drive to, which is the first step.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 12:04:31 AM »

He's very young, but he's interested in politics.  In that reg, he's a young version of me.  He's an FF on that basis.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2022, 12:12:48 AM »

Those apologies are genuine. Sorry if you don't see them that way. I try to avoid getting rude or making assumptions, but when I do, I try and apologize. THG himself, though we aren't on good terms, would tell you that after a particularly heated moment I reached out via PM to apologize. I'm not hear to strawman or be condescending, though of course, sometimes I inadvertently do both. Which is why I then apologize. But I don't see how to win if I do something you disagree with, apologize for it, but you refuse to accept my apology and rebuff it.

I don't mean to say this to drag you or reject your apology, but as a genuine piece of life advice:

Any apology with the words "if" or "but" in it is not an apology. It's an excuse.

The problem with those two little letters is that you come off like you're hedging back on the notion you're doing something wrong. Saying something like "You're delusional if you think the NHGOP is an extremist party," "You're exaggerating if you think my candidate is far-right," or "I don't think you're capable of proving your position" is by nature condescending and belittling. I made it pretty clear multiple times that "if I felt like" was not a question.

Instead of manning up and taking accountability for what you said, you came off like you shifted the blame onto me for "misinterpreting" it. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything. I think you have a lot of room for personal growth as a poster and I hope you will take these lessons to heart. You've clearly shown you have the drive to, which is the first step.

These are fair points, I will keep them in mind. Perhaps I'll say "I apologize because I offended you" or the like instead.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 03:11:06 AM »

Probably half of these HP votes are because people think is young for the forum, and thus don't care about his opinion.

Ironic that ya'll are talking about him 'being condescending' when you legit throw out everything anyone younger than you say that you disagree with as something they'll ''mature/grow out of''.

I've described my reasons for being a moderate- having relatives that survived both communism and the Holocaust- but get it thrown back in my face because moderate politics is looked down upon.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 03:36:48 AM »

Probably half of these HP votes are because people think is young for the forum, and thus don't care about his opinion.

Ironic that ya'll are talking about him 'being condescending' when you legit throw out everything anyone younger than you say that you disagree with as something they'll ''mature/grow out of''.

I've described my reasons for being a moderate- having relatives that survived both communism and the Holocaust- but get it thrown back in my face because moderate politics is looked down upon.

Hi, guy who accused him of "being condescending" here. I have absolutely no problem with peoples' age or politics. All I said was that CR had plenty of time to grow out of his flaws.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 12:45:52 PM »

For some reason a surprisingly large segment have pegged me as young, and this does mystify me since I haven't found any concrete evidence from anyone of my being a teenager like they assume I am (maybe my posting style seems like that of a teenager?).
But honestly, I think most people have a decent reason for voting HP: my comments about the Bay Area / SoCal, my posting habits generally, or my comments about transgenders. In particular I admit that I can see how it gets really annoying after a while when I trash SoCal in any and all CA-related threads, and how I need to stop bragging about the Bay Area, and like I said, I'll work on those things. With regards to trans people, honestly, I think I've clarified my view, but I can definitely appreciate how my earlier comments might've been (though not transphobic per se) unnecessary and hurtful or offensive to some, and I do want everyone to know that I don't hate or even dislike all trans people, and am not a transphobe by any means. Like I said about 'trannies,' the fault may be mine because it didn't sound like a bad slur and thus I assumed it shouldn't/wasn't that hurtful, but of course, trans people know best what a trans slur is, and if it is truly that offensive and hurtful to those being called it, then being a transgender person is probably better than calling someone tranny (since being the former doesn't hurt anyone, while saying the latter does).
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 01:06:05 PM »

With regards to trans people, honestly, I think I've clarified my view, but I can definitely appreciate how my earlier comments might've been (though not transphobic per se) unnecessary and hurtful or offensive to some, and I do want everyone to know that I don't hate or even dislike all trans people, and am not a transphobe by any means. Like I said about 'trannies,' the fault may be mine because it didn't sound like a bad slur and thus I assumed it shouldn't/wasn't that hurtful, but of course, trans people know best what a trans slur is, and if it is truly that offensive and hurtful to those being called it, then being a transgender person is probably better than calling someone tranny (since being the former doesn't hurt anyone, while saying the latter does).
You did the thing again, the non-apology thing. The rest of your post is fine but rendered moot by maintaining that your comments were not transphobic.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2022, 01:12:32 PM »

With regards to trans people, honestly, I think I've clarified my view, but I can definitely appreciate how my earlier comments might've been (though not transphobic per se) unnecessary and hurtful or offensive to some, and I do want everyone to know that I don't hate or even dislike all trans people, and am not a transphobe by any means. Like I said about 'trannies,' the fault may be mine because it didn't sound like a bad slur and thus I assumed it shouldn't/wasn't that hurtful, but of course, trans people know best what a trans slur is, and if it is truly that offensive and hurtful to those being called it, then being a transgender person is probably better than calling someone tranny (since being the former doesn't hurt anyone, while saying the latter does).
You did the thing again, the non-apology thing. The rest of your post is fine but rendered moot by maintaining that your comments were not transphobic.

You really need to learn to take what you can get.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 01:20:12 PM »

I'd settle for that half-apology from the forum's more hateful transphobes (you're not too far excluded from that group, Dule, but that's neither here nor there) but CR is young and seems to be acting in good faith, so he can do better.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2022, 01:27:59 PM »

I'd settle for that half-apology from the forum's more hateful transphobes (you're not too far excluded from that group, Dule, but that's neither here nor there) but CR is young and seems to be acting in good faith, so he can do better.

I have never said anything hateful towards any group of people on this site, aside from a few references to Trump supporters and "the mob." The fact that I disagree with transgenders on a few things doesn't mean I "hate" them any more than my disbelief in god means I "hate" all Christians. Your comment is looney tunes.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2022, 01:35:10 PM »

I have never said anything hateful towards any group of people on this site, aside from a few references to Trump supporters and "the mob." The fact that I disagree with transgenders on a few things doesn't mean I "hate" them any more than my disbelief in god means I "hate" all Christians. Your comment is looney tunes.
I never said you were hateful, in fact I'll say right now that you're not. What I said was that you weren't too far removed from that group, and that if you said anything close to CR saying "trans people know better about this", I'd take it. The bigots are offensive, but they're bigots; I don't expect much from them. You're a reasonable, smart person, so when you completely diminish the existential importance that transitioning holds for trans youth — a very un-libertarian denial of the bodily autonomy of people who aren't you and aren't hurting anyone — that is, in a way, more offensive.

As I said, this is neither here nor there, so I won't be posting further about it in this thread.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 01:58:06 PM »

'Transphobe', I think, would imply that I actively dislike or detest or despise transgenders - I don't. I may be a bit uncomfortable around them but I don't dislike them, necessarily.

What I think I did here was make a wrong assumption, and make misguided comments based on it. And to prove that I am sorry to anyone I offended - Trans Rights Are Human Rights, any other trans poster or anyone else - I genuinely apologize, since when I think about it, I was in essence saying that saying a slur is better than actually being the person the slur is being said to - which is never, ever true, no matter what the case may be. 'Trannies', I thought, didn't sound too insulting, but I am not a judge of that or what constitutes a slur; the trans community is, in this case, and if they consider it a slur, then I concur that saying that slur is worse than being the person called that slur, of course.
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 02:07:36 PM »

'Transphobe', I think, would imply that I actively dislike or detest or despise transgenders - I don't. I may be a bit uncomfortable around them but I don't dislike them, necessarily.

What I think I did here was make a wrong assumption, and make misguided comments based on it. And to prove that I am sorry to anyone I offended - Trans Rights Are Human Rights, any other trans poster or anyone else - I genuinely apologize, since when I think about it, I was in essence saying that saying a slur is better than actually being the person the slur is being said to - which is never, ever true, no matter what the case may be. 'Trannies', I thought, didn't sound too insulting, but I am not a judge of that or what constitutes a slur; the trans community is, in this case, and if they consider it a slur, then I concur that saying that slur is worse than being the person called that slur, of course.
I accept the apology, but I do want to clarify that you can say comments that are transphobic without being a transphobic person, just like people can say racist things without being a racist, intentionally or not, and so on. To challenge a person's comment as bigoted is not necessarily to label the person as a bigot.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2022, 02:09:57 PM »

I accept the apology, but I do want to clarify that you can say comments that are transphobic without being a transphobic person, just like people can say racist things without being a racist, intentionally or not, and so on. To challenge a person's comment as bigoted is not necessarily to label the person as a bigot.

Out of curiousity (don't answer if you don't want to, of course) are you yourself a trans person? Just wondering (though like I said, you don't have to answer if you'd rather not).
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2022, 02:13:14 PM »

Out of curiousity (don't answer if you don't want to, of course) are you yourself a trans person? Just wondering (though like I said, you don't have to answer if you'd rather not).
Yes.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2022, 02:15:00 PM »

I never said you were hateful, in fact I'll say right now that you're not. What I said was that you weren't too far removed from that group, and that if you said anything close to CR saying "trans people know better about this", I'd take it. The bigots are offensive, but they're bigots; I don't expect much from them. You're a reasonable, smart person, so when you completely diminish the existential importance that transitioning holds for trans youth — a very un-libertarian denial of the bodily autonomy of people who aren't you and aren't hurting anyone — that is, in a way, more offensive.

As I said, this is neither here nor there, so I won't be posting further about it in this thread.

One of the keystones of my brand of libertarianism is that minors require additional state regulations and proscriptions to protect them from both ill-intentioned adults and themselves. To that end, I endorse blanket bans on circumcision, tattoos, drinking and drug use, ritual scarring, and female genital mutilation on minors. I have mentioned in the past that the state should be more zealous in its power to strip parents of their legal guardianship in instances of abuse. Given all this, I don't think it should come as any surprise that I oppose injecting underage people with body-altering hormones-- or worse, physically removing parts of their bodies. I will never support this, and neither will many like-minded reasonable people.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2022, 05:19:53 PM »

Lean FF. My interactions with him has been mostly positive.
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2022, 06:16:48 PM »

He's doing everything he can in this thread to push me into the HP camp.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2022, 06:47:18 PM »

Annoying
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies