Election Calculator / Simulator 2.0 released (Updated 5/5/2023)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:49:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Election Calculator / Simulator 2.0 released (Updated 5/5/2023)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Election Calculator / Simulator 2.0 released (Updated 5/5/2023)  (Read 26701 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2022, 01:21:04 PM »
« edited: May 05, 2023, 07:42:53 PM by Virginiá »

After many months of squeezing in an hour or two of work here and there, I've finally got the next major release of the election simulator ready. I've expanded the functionality quite a bit, including to Senate/Gubernatorial elections. Here is the (almost) full list of features, enhancements and bug fixes:

Use on this page:
https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?action=evcalc

New features
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Senate/gubernatorial maps (Senate maps can have special elections added/removed at will)
  • Faithless electors / divided electoral vote support (mostly for pre-1836 elections)
  • pre-1836 presidential result maps
  • Large map support (for editor page only)
  • Many territories now shown on historical maps (still lots more to do though!)
  • States can now be sorted on the map editor page's state list. Sort by geographical region or Cook Partisan Voting Index (2016-2020)
  • Maps now have a custom right-click menu. This will allow another quick way to change region status/winner/shading in the map editor.
  • Added preset map themes (Default or Bold)
  • Ability to load legacy (Dave's calculator) maps in new editor - old maps displayed in forums posts have option to be loaded in new editor when hovering over with mouse, and you can paste the [img] map links into input on editor page by clicking "Load Legacy Map In Editor" near the bottom to load old map in the new simulator
  • Maps can now have a custom image embedded either in the background or foreground, and can also have their transparency toggled
  • Editor now remembers and loads the map you were last working on. This is tied to your forum session, and will eventually be lost after a couple weeks. Editor will also remember the collapsed state of individual sections.

Enhancements
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Electoral vote bar recoded entirely to sort based on highest and 2nd highest vote winner, also in SVG format
  • Unpledged/non-voting electors shown in electoral vote bar
  • Added 'ineligible' status for states that were not eligible to vote in time for the 1789 presidential election
  • Improved map shadow option
  • All maps should now have detailed electoral vote allocations shown (please notify me if any are missing/inaccurate)
  • Regions that did not hold a popular vote now use a darker shade so maps are easier to interpret (40 pop vote shade).
  • States with missing popular vote data now display a hatching pattern indicating data is missing
  • Regions can now have the flipped status and a no popular vote held status on any presidential map type
  • Option to hide container borders for party legend
  • Maps now have more options for customization (dark borders, thicker borders, show territories, etc)
  • Custom vote/region label text is now centered better
  • Region tooltips now better display longer candidate names
  • vote-by-district parent region (ME, NE) can now have their electoral votes modified (it will be reset though if you toggle vote-by-cd on/off)
  • Electoral votes can now be reset to original values on an individual basis
  • Congressional district options are now merged into main state table list to save vertical space on calculator page
  • Highlighted region borders on mouse hover now looks less choppy

Bug fixes

• Vote-by-district entries now have their EV text shown as black under same conditions as states
  • Fixed Tossup evbar showing tooltip with prediction rating slots (should be nothing but # of regions that are tossup)
  • Electoral vote left-hand clipping issue mitigated
  • Fixed issue where changing electoral votes for a region would overwrite custom label text on calculator page
  • Congressional district tooltips on presidential map now correctly show state flag
  • Region tooltips screwed up when set to Tossup
  • Mitigated a bug where hovering over large parts of New Hampshire would cause Vermont's tooltip to be shown and borders to be highlighted
  • Fixed wrong electoral vote count for AR and LA in 1872 map
  • Fixed bug where Maine electoral votes could not be changed even when vote-by-CD mode was disabled
  • Fixed bug where elections with a lot of defined candidates/independents could have the same color used for multiple candidates
  • Map embed data now has smaller memory footprint for most maps
  • Corrected a few election data errors (wrong candidate names/parties - thanks to Truman for pointing it out)
  • Fixed a bug where seceded states in an 1864 map, or other maps with ineligible states would have their region color changed if pop vote shading was toggled
  • Fixed a bug where maps with unicode characters (eg: Cyrillic, Chinese, etc) for names/tooltips/labels/etc would cause the map to fail to load Alternative fix required - will update when found
  • Fixed a bug where resetting all regions to TOSSUP would cause map to forget other regional settings

Previous release threads

Version 1
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 01:21:13 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 08:40:06 PM by Virginiá »

Examples of new map features:

Senate (2018) map with new, optional Bold theme:

Faithless / proportional electoral votes:

Custom overlay image with 50% transparency (Jeb over 2020 Senate map):

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 01:36:04 PM by Virginiá »

I've also got the state maps getting closer to release. I still need at least one recent election's worth of data to provide a base set of maps though. Not sure how to put that together myself.

Technically, if you wanted to make a state map, you could, but I won't guarantee that old maps won't break when I finally release the actual state-level map generators. Quote/view post [ map ] bbcode to see how:

test:

-

Regarding custom image overlays, if anyone thinks there should be a preset image I should upload so people can easily use it on maps, let me know. I only added "jeb" for now. (If you type "jeb" without quotes into the Custom Image URL field on the map generator page, you'll get jeb on the map).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 02:06:13 PM »

Great work, Virginia. Thanks for all the efforts you're putting in this.

A small note on something I realized: It seems that certain browser features such as a blocker for cookie banners indeed block the map from being displayed or even the forum link to be generated (that wasn't the case before). I only use the add-on "I don't care about cookies" because EU laws require all European websites to ask for allowing cookies with annoying banners popping up on almost every website. Now that I deactivated the feature for Talk Elections (not that I would need here anyway), it just works fine. So if anything, it might be more of an issue for European users.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 02:16:15 PM »

Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 02:21:20 PM »

Maybe this was already addressed or something, but when I go to the map and do stuff, and then click 'Show Forum Embed Code,' nothing happens - is this intentional, or am I doing something wrong?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »

A small note on something I realized: It seems that certain browser features such as a blocker for cookie banners indeed block the map from being displayed or even the forum link to be generated (that wasn't the case before). I only use the add-on "I don't care about cookies" because EU laws require all European websites to ask for allowing cookies with annoying banners popping up on almost every website. Now that I deactivated the feature for Talk Elections (not that I would need here anyway), it just works fine. So if anything, it might be more of an issue for European users.

Thanks - I installed that addon but didn't see that behavior. I'll have to keep an eye on it, though. It wouldn't be the first time ad blockers mucked things up here (they did so for the Recommend feature and the new post editor).

Maybe this was already addressed or something, but when I go to the map and do stuff, and then click 'Show Forum Embed Code,' nothing happens - is this intentional, or am I doing something wrong?

Do you see the map fine on the page?

If so and nothing happens when you click that, can you right click on the page, click "Inspect Element", click the Console tab, then send me a screenshot of what it says? If it says nothing, can you keep that console open, reload the page, try to Show Forum Embed Code, then tell me what it says?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 02:40:21 PM »

Thank you, Virginia, for your hard work here
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 02:48:42 PM »

Thanks - I installed that addon but didn't see that behavior. I'll have to keep an eye on it, though. It wouldn't be the first time ad blockers mucked things up here (they did so for the Recommend feature and the new post editor).

Do you see the map fine on the page?

No, it doesn't seem to be showing any map at all. Like usually there's a map above the Show Forum Imbed Code button, but it's not there anymore.

EDIT: I believe I did as you said to, but nothing's changed; it doesn't say anything, it's just if I click the button nothing at all happens.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 02:50:44 PM »

No, it doesn't seem to be showing any map at all. Like usually there's a map above the Show Forum Imbed Code button, but it's not there anymore.

Trying doing a Hard refresh on your browser when on the calculator page. If Windows, hold Ctrl + Press F5. If Mac, follow these instructions:

Safari (Mac)

Go to Safari > Empty Cache, or hit Opt + Cmd + E.
    To refresh, click the refresh button on the address bar or press Cmd + R.

Google Chrome

Windows users: hold down Ctrl and then press F5 on your keyboard.
    Mac users: hold down Cmd and Shift and then press R on your keyboard.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2022, 02:53:23 PM »

Trying doing a Hard refresh on your browser. If Windows, hold Ctrl + Press F5. If Mac, follow these instructions:

Safari (Mac)

Google Chrome

I'm actually using a Chromebook, how do you do a hard refresh on that? (I did it once but have forgotten how to.)

Also, if this is just a problem for me and everyone else can use maps (not sure), I should be fine because I don't post maps that much anyway.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2022, 02:57:55 PM »

I'm actually using a Chromebook, how do you do a hard refresh on that? (I did it once but have forgotten how to.)

Also, if this is just a problem for me and everyone else can use maps (not sure), I should be fine because I don't post maps that much anyway.

I think hold Ctrl then click Reload on the browser screen.

I know this fixed it for another user earlier that I was talking to on Discord. The issue in that case was the browser was still trying to use old cached files. If that's the case, alternatively, you could clear your cache for this website or hopefully it'll just automatically refresh within 24-48 hours.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »

I think hold Ctrl then click Reload on the browser screen.

I know this fixed it for another user earlier that I was talking to on Discord. The issue in that case was the browser was still trying to use old cached files. If that's the case, alternatively, you could clear your cache for this website or hopefully it'll just automatically refresh within 24-48 hours.

It's working now, I think. Thanks!  Smile
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 03:33:09 PM »

Cool. Thanks!
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 03:33:42 PM »

Will we need to find our own Jeb! images or are there some default ones included?
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 04:28:11 PM »

This is amazing.
Only ask I have is that the classic EV calculator be available
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »

Damn, thanks for making these

The bold theme's aesthetic is really nice, I think I'll start to use it.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2022, 04:57:12 PM »

What a political junkie's paradise you have made!  Delightful!  Thank you (:
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 07:58:47 PM »

It can still be accessed through the uselectionatlas.org site, I believe.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 09:06:42 PM »

This is freakin' lit! Thank you so much, As an election map connoisseur, so to speak.

I have a question about state maps? Will they be districts or counties? If counties, that's going to be even more lit!

Oh, and when I try to embed the code, it doesn't appear in the box for me.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2022, 09:11:34 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 09:15:48 PM by Virginiá »

This is freakin' lit! Thank you so much, As an election map connoisseur, so to speak.

I have a question about state maps? Will they be districts or counties? If counties, that's going to be even more lit!

Oh, and when I try to embed the code, it doesn't appear in the box for me.

Try a hard browser refresh. I don't know why the new files aren't loading in people's browsers right away but it seems to be common for now:

Code:
Safari (Mac)

Google Chrome

(once the expiration date passes on those files - anywhere from 24 hours to 7 days, it should stop being an issue)

The state-level maps are county maps for now. It's my hope that I can organize a community effort after most/all redistricting is done to start making a national congressional map and then maybe also state legislative maps so we can have interactive maps for everything. My goal here over the next couple years is to make this the most useful interactive map generator on the web (for US maps, anyway). I think I've done enough where that's plausible, given all the additions in this update.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2022, 09:14:34 PM »

I followed your advice and it works for me now. Thank you!

And now you've just made me even more excited for the next update! Take all the time you need!
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2022, 09:27:54 PM »

Sorting the states by Cook PVI.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2022, 09:31:56 PM »

Here's a 2004 270-268 Kerry map where the Minnesota elector sends it into the House.

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2022, 09:51:48 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 09:56:25 PM by MT Treasurer »

Thank you so much for this! (I know how much time/effort goes into this, and I really appreciate it). Really enjoying the Senate simulator in particular.

e: Also, the optional "Bold" map theme option is neattt!

This is amazing.

https://uselectionatlas.org/ -> Electoral College Calculator - Experiment with electoral math.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies