Australia 2022 Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:33:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Australia 2022 Election
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37
Author Topic: Australia 2022 Election  (Read 43388 times)
Pulaski

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2022, 04:21:45 AM »

Albanese has given a widely-panned interview in which he's claimed he's not "woke" and signalled his intent to move further away from the Left.

A bit rich given he's been a machine man of the Left his entire political career and gave an interview just 3 years ago discussing Australia's "cultural cringe."

All things to all people indeed.

Despite this, I actually have some sympathy for some of his answers to the "quick-fire" round of the interview, which he seems to be getting the most stick for - especially his answer to the question "Captain Cook: hero or zero?" If ever there was an example of the futility of "quick-fire" questions, this is it- it's a COMPLICATED subject!
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2022, 01:46:14 PM »

2PP vote is 58-42 in a recent poll. That's not good.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2022, 01:58:29 PM »

The Coalition absolutely deserves to get annihilated.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2022, 03:25:35 PM »

The Coalition absolutely deserves to get annihilated.

I know lol. It doesn't look good for them.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2022, 02:39:45 AM »

Albanese has given a widely-panned interview in which he's claimed he's not "woke" and signalled his intent to move further away from the Left.

A bit rich given he's been a machine man of the Left his entire political career and gave an interview just 3 years ago discussing Australia's "cultural cringe."

Despite this, I actually have some sympathy for some of his answers to the "quick-fire" round of the interview, which he seems to be getting the most stick for - especially his answer to the question "Captain Cook: hero or zero?" If ever there was an example of the futility of "quick-fire" questions, this is it- it's a COMPLICATED subject!
LOL i couldn't imagine a bigger LOSER than someone who was too dumb to learn how to swim before going on a boat. Not to mention the sexual assault, racism, murder, and intentionally spreading syphillis.

https://youtu.be/g7FjCEMfAZc
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2022, 08:23:55 AM »

Nick Xenophon is running for Senate as an independent.

Wonderful.  Roll Eyes
I can't wait for him to start another party.
Pulaski

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 10:08:04 PM »

LOL i couldn't imagine a bigger LOSER than someone who was too dumb to learn how to swim before going on a boat. Not to mention the sexual assault, racism, murder, and intentionally spreading syphillis.

https://youtu.be/g7FjCEMfAZc

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. Cook was a coloniser, a racist and met a justified end in Hawaii.

I also think, given his enormous historical legacy, that boiling him down to the word “zero” is unjustified. Like any historical figure, he is a complicated person we deserve to learn about, and the question Albanese was asked was deliberately glib and provocative.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2022, 08:09:29 AM »

Though of course both colonialism and racism were totally "normal" in his time. But that's ultimately just another reason why these childish "gotcha" questions are so utterly pointless.
Pulaski

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2022, 04:12:01 AM »

Just finished watching Albanese's budget reply speech - thought it was pretty good. Winced at the "renewal not revolution" line but suspect it will resonate with Australia's small-c conservative political culture. Found it ironic he now points to the Hawke/Keating economic reforms as a cornerstone Labor achievement given he actively campaigned against them within Labor at the time. But thought his commitments on aged care and childcare were strong and hopefully will flesh them out more during the campaign.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2022, 07:07:29 PM »

Gun to my head, I still say Morrison wins.
Property Representative of the Harold Holt Swimming Centre
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2022, 04:40:00 AM »

I doubt Labor would gain Cook even in a landslide. Tongue
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2022, 06:42:31 AM »

The polls would have to be really wrong and/or there would have to be a massive swing to him during the actual campaign for this to happen. I realise why pessimism is pretty ingrained amongst the left in Australia now, but its maybe just as possible you are in line for your own 1997 Wink
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2022, 10:18:41 PM »

The polls would have to be really wrong and/or there would have to be a massive swing to him during the actual campaign for this to happen. I realise why pessimism is pretty ingrained amongst the left in Australia now, but its maybe just as possible you are in line for your own 1997 Wink

My guess is that it will be a narrow Labor win, with a real possibility of Labor as the largest party in a hung parliament. At this point though, it's looking like too much to ask for him to win properly.
Pulaski

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2022, 10:47:22 PM »

I doubt Labor would gain Cook even in a landslide. Tongue

I grew up in Cook, can confirm. It’s Liberal heartland.
Pulaski

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2022, 10:56:40 PM »

I'm actually getting more confident of a Labor victory with each passing day. The coalition doesn't seem to be getting a bounce from the budget, which was one of their last big plays. Negative publicity about Morrison is trickling out every day, which largely seems to be from his own side - suggesting even the Coalition has had enough of him. Albanese is basically neck and neck with Morrison as preferred PM, which is a very bad omen - the rule of modern Australian politics is that the PM leads the Opposition Leader in those, even when heading for a change in government. I certainly wouldn't mind a hung parliament either; even outside the Greens MP, most of the crossbenchers are some of the best MPs in parliament, and 2010-2013 suggests a hung parliament might actually get a hell of a lot done.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2022, 05:11:48 AM »

My guess is that it will be a narrow Labor win, with a real possibility of Labor as the largest party in a hung parliament. At this point though, it's looking like too much to ask for him to win properly.

A 54-46 or 55-45 split would surely lead to a clear Labor majority, though.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2022, 05:13:57 AM »

A 54-46 or 55-45 split would surely lead to a clear Labor majority, though.

Oh definitely but I'm guessing it will end up more like 52-48.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2022, 03:26:53 AM »

Beware the Ides of March April is very much the mood on the ground. ScoMo is putting off dropping the writs until just about the last possible day mandated by law thanks to a sticky lawsuit over NSW preselections that's going to the High Court.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2022, 10:14:32 PM »

ScoMo to visit the GG, has announced election will be officially called for May 21.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2022, 02:37:48 AM »

What are People predicting ? this is a hot-take of mine but I'm thinking it'll be Labour Minority government.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2022, 08:52:28 AM »

Well, at least Morrison can have this: first PM to last an entire term since Howard.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2022, 08:55:17 AM »

Well, at least Morrison can have this: first PM to last an entire term since Howard.
Strange how quickly people forgot about the LNP's chronic backstabbing syndrome.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2022, 08:59:24 AM »

No doubt this is because Morrison had the support of Rupert Murdoch.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I like the frankness of the headline:
Scott Morrison shielded by Murdoch protection racket

https://independentaustralia.net/politics/politics-display/scott-morrison-shielded-by-murdoch-protection-racket-,15430
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2022, 09:05:58 AM »

He lasted so long because of the Liberal partyroom rule changes that he made right after coup-ing Turnbull to prevent future coups: because the new rule is that 2/3rds of the partyroom vote is required to trigger a spill motion when the Libs are in government & the leader had previously led the party to victory at an election (i.e., a rule that didn't apply to ScoMo when he first introduced them, but that only came into effect after he & the Libs won in 2019), it became very unlikely that any member of the federal Lib caucus would successfully be able to coup ScoMo before this election since, as of right now, it'd take 61 out of the 91 members of the federal Lib caucus to trigger a spill, although the old "simple majority of the party room" rules can always still apply if such a simple majority is willing to just go nuclear on ScoMo's rules to start off a coup. As we can see, however, no such coup was ever instigated by the time that ScoMo had the G.G. call this election.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2022, 09:31:14 AM »
« Edited: April 10, 2022, 09:35:32 AM by AustralianSwingVoter »

ScoMo has lasted so long because his only skill is his ruthlessness in internal party politicking. The party room is still united around him (...for five more weeks) because he's spent the last 4 years taking calculated decisions to unite the factions and protect his leadership. If only he could actually lead the country as well rather than buggering off to Hawaii...

The new rules aren't particularly relevant as a majority of the party can still force the leader to ""resign"" when their position becomes untenable. If a majority of your colleagues want you gone you cannot continue in your position for long, yet alone fight an election. All the new rules do is force all the internal bloodletting further behind closed doors and gets rid of the sudden midnight spills that cause awful PR.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies