Do you prefer homosexual civil union or marriage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:29:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you prefer homosexual civil union or marriage?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you prefer homosexual civil union or marriage?
civil union

marriage

neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Do you prefer homosexual civil union or marriage?  (Read 861 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 21, 2022, 06:10:51 AM »

The government should not discriminate against same sex couples, for both legal and moral reasons. Heterosexual couples enjoys benefits like insurance, tax, inherence, etc. The government must not deny homosexual couple these benefits.

On the other hand, marriage is an extremely important cultural issue. Without overwhelming consensus, the government should not force individuals to take its positions on cultural issues, especially against their religious believes.

This is why I prefer civil union. If I can decide the policy, I would stop the government agencies from issuing "certificate of marriage", but switch to "certificate of civil union". I would treat marriage as a special form of civil union between a man and a woman. In this way, we will have a legal concept of civil union, which no one is discriminated against, and a cultural concept of marriage, which I would leave it for the people and groups of people like the church to decide for themselves.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2022, 12:06:54 AM »

Am I in 2008 again?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 12:40:42 AM »

This is exactly what I think; the correct answer is 'marriage' unless your a homophobe.

Keep up with times; the new controversial culture war issue is transgenders - gay marriage has been a non issue since about 2015 except for crackpot religious conservatives; I've been infracted twice for transphobic comments (out of thrice total - and the third time was YE shortening a thread title because it broke the page).
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 12:46:44 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 01:06:01 AM by Statilius the Epicurean »

This is exactly what I think; the correct answer is 'marriage' unless your a homophobe.

Keep up with times; the new controversial culture war issue is transgenders - gay marriage has been a non issue since about 2015 except for crackpot religious conservatives; I've been infracted twice for transphobic comments (out of thrice total - and the third time was YE shortening a thread title because it broke the page).

It's mostly funny because civil unions was the classic dumb "Moderate Hero" position that no-one at the time was satisfied with except politicians trying to avoid offending both sides.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 01:01:27 PM »

Marriage, but couples who dislike the patriarchal history behind marriage and choose to get a civil union instead are also valid.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 01:44:33 PM »

lol
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 10:27:51 PM »

Wow, We must really bored today.  2004 wants its divisive wedge issues back.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 03:40:56 PM »

The state shouldn't define certain interpersonal relationships to begin with.

(horseshoe theory across arch-libertarians, theocrats who think that only religious institutions should define marriage, and queer radicals)
Zendstrummer
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 06:48:50 PM »

Marriage is a union of one man and one woman. Civil Unions are useless.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 10:59:40 PM »

Sorry, but gay marriage is still very much an issue. In my jurisprudence class last semester, I would say a majority of my fellow law students opposed gay marriage. Instead, they wanted to abolish the institution of marriage altogether because expecting homosexuals to "conform" to that standard is "assimilationist and heteronormative."
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 02:50:37 AM »

Sorry, but gay marriage is still very much an issue. In my jurisprudence class last semester, I would say a majority of my fellow law students opposed gay marriage. Instead, they wanted to abolish the institution of marriage altogether because expecting homosexuals to "conform" to that standard is "assimilationist and heteronormative."

Is this a sarcastic quip or are you being serious?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 02:55:22 AM »

This is a 100% true anecdote. I was the only person who actually spoke up in favor of gay marriage in the whole class. Most people were mocking the SCOTUS decision for implying that unmarried people couldn't live fulfilling lives, which they deemed offensive.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 05:26:09 AM »
« Edited: January 26, 2022, 08:54:16 AM by Meclazine »

I am not big on same sex marriage.

Come to think of it, I am not big on opposite sex marriage either.

Boom. Boom.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 08:42:44 PM »

This is a 100% true anecdote. I was the only person who actually spoke up in favor of gay marriage in the whole class. Most people were mocking the SCOTUS decision for implying that unmarried people couldn't live fulfilling lives, which they deemed offensive.

Do you attend some affiliate of BYU, Pensacola CC or Liberty U in California?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2022, 10:08:59 PM »

Do you attend some affiliate of BYU, Pensacola CC or Liberty U in California?

I attend a T14 law school. Everyone in my class besides me and some Evangelical guy is either left or far-left.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 10:17:34 AM »

I’m sorry I just find this difficult to believe. I’ve seen a handful of people say this, but not anywhere close to enough that an entire law class would agree with it.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 11:08:16 AM »

Marriage.

But civil unions should be an alternative for both hetero and homosexual couples that don't want to marry.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »

The state shouldn't define certain interpersonal relationships to begin with.

(horseshoe theory across arch-libertarians, theocrats who think that only religious institutions should define marriage, and queer radicals)

This is how I feel at my most contrarian, yes.

(I suppose I count under theocrat; if you are the queer radical we now need to find an arch-libertarian to complete the triad)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 11:54:51 AM »

The Government should only recognize civil unions and they should be available to all. Marriages should be available as they are now within the framework of those willing to do the marriage.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »

You have been told many times that it's offensive to refer to them as "transgenders" - I don't understand why this hasn't permeated your brain.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 02:24:45 PM »

I’m sorry I just find this difficult to believe. I’ve seen a handful of people say this, but not anywhere close to enough that an entire law class would agree with it.

The people who disagreed didn't raise their hands or speak out about it, so I can only assume they didn't find the arguments objectionable enough to vocally disagree with.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 02:31:03 PM »

In this case, they're right - Kennedy's "lives of loneliness" schlock was designed to give himself some historical catchet. It had nothing to do with the Constitution
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 03:14:33 PM »

In this case, they're right - Kennedy's "lives of loneliness" schlock was designed to give himself some historical catchet. It had nothing to do with the Constitution

I agree it was pretty cornball, but acting like it implicitly declares that unmarried people are inherently lonely and pathetic is stupid.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 08:53:44 PM »

When I opened this thread, I thought it was some old thread that someone had necroed.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 10:22:30 PM »

Whenever public opinion goes to the liberal side liberals will make the case that the opposite they just fought to get rid of is good. Like the 'People of Color Safe Spaces' in universities.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies