Why Haven't Unions Adjusted Well to the New Economy ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:23:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Why Haven't Unions Adjusted Well to the New Economy ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Haven't Unions Adjusted Well to the New Economy ?  (Read 421 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« on: January 25, 2022, 03:40:10 PM »

Because the gig economy is hard if you have to pay union dues, have a union control how your work, etc.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 07:14:15 PM »

Because the gig economy is hard if you have to pay union dues, have a union control how your work, etc.

"I can't afford health insurance, but it's better than paying MUH DUES" –every Uber driver ever, apparently
1. Oftentimes people don't take into account the long term cost/benefits with each job.
2. Depends on the union. Some unions have exclusive pool plans that were grandfathered in under Obamacare, meaning that there's no maximum cap on out-of-pocket costs (so a $1,000,000 hospital stay (reasonable for a car crash, for instance, can't believe I actually had to say those words) could cost $100,000 instead of hitting a cap of, say, $8,000). Our health care system is sh**t, so no solution would work that well.

But the biggest thing: It isn't a full time guaranteed (i.e. 9-5) job, meaning that if a union says they'll go on strike there won't really be many issues compared to, say, a steel plant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies