Yes, heavy metal music did corrupt youth and spread a bad message!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:21:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Yes, heavy metal music did corrupt youth and spread a bad message!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Yes, heavy metal music did corrupt youth and spread a bad message!  (Read 2150 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 03:09:51 PM »

Generally at concerts, metal or otherwise, you listen to the music.

So stand around and suffer in agony. Ugh. I can't even get in a pit to distract myself or whatever.
I mean, I'd be agony too if I had to listen to your music. But when music is good, it is fun to listen to it. That is the primary reason people pay for music, in fact!

And metal shows do have mosh pits. Metal had mosh pits before emo even existed. I don't know anything about then because I listen to music for the music.
I'm not seeing people act in those Iron Maiden videos like they are in that Evergreen Terrace at Furnace Fest video or the recoded people in that Knocked Loose video.

Like where are the people who are as into Iron Maiden as the people here?
The point of music is the music. Maiden fans sing along not only to every word, but to every note in the riffs and the solos, from the front row to the nosebleeds. Of course, besides the moshing and crowdsurfing which metal does have as well (but even EDM has moshpits, so I don't see why you're so impressed by them), there's also headbanging and whatnot, but the point of the music is the music. Go to a Maiden show and you'll meet tens of thousands of people who own all seventeen of their albums, have seen tons of their shows, learned an instrument just so they could play The Trooper, and often have Eddie tattoos. It's the music that connects with people. Like any genre, except apparently yours, where passion is quantified by flailing a trashcan around like a tweaker.
Yes it and EDM has mosh pits, but not circle pits, walls of death, emo trembles, floorpunching, etc.

And that still sounds like hell especially as the music is trash. Yech. Although LOL@the notion that emo and hardcore fans have obsessive vinyl collections or band tattoos. Like groups devoted to sharing pics of those are the main thing I use Facebook for now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 03:10:32 PM »

It's totally awesome when red's hipster Christianity and Mania for emo music collide and turn him into as bad a blue nose as any right wing socon,  and he doesn't even notice the incongruity

BRTD: Showing Atlas that "liberal" is not synonymous with "open minded" since 2003.

There's always been a huge divide on the left in terms of free speech and morality policing. Many liberals have always had a nanny-state tendency in them. Liberal attempts to censor Gone with the Wind in film schools and on television date back well over half a century if not longer, to cite one example. This kind of whiny, "think of the children!" art policing has been part of a certain segment of the left for way longer than the woke brigade of today or Tipper Gore of yesterday.
But that's definitely not me. I just don't like heavy metal music.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 03:15:03 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 03:21:14 PM by Klobmentum »

It's totally awesome when red's hipster Christianity and Mania for emo music collide and turn him into as bad a blue nose as any right wing socon,  and he doesn't even notice the incongruity

BRTD: Showing Atlas that "liberal" is not synonymous with "open minded" since 2003.

There's always been a huge divide on the left in terms of free speech and morality policing. Many liberals have always had a nanny-state tendency in them. Liberal attempts to censor Gone with the Wind in film schools and on television date back well over half a century if not longer, to cite one example. This kind of whiny, "think of the children!" art policing has been part of a certain segment of the left for way longer than the woke brigade of today or Tipper Gore of yesterday.
And I don't like emo music, but I'm not partisan enough to align myself with Jerry Falwell and start believing the stereotypes about the music promoting self harm, like you're doing with metal.

And I never said emo fans don't care about the music. I said you're a bad ambassador for your favorite genre who makes it sound like musical quality should be measured by moshpit activities that sound like rejected WWF finishing moves.

I have no beef with the emo genre. It's not my cup of tea, so I don't listen to it and I don't insult the musicians themselves. I have a beef with you being an obnoxious hack, and for using your music to justify being a pervert.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 03:25:28 PM »

And I don't like emo music, but I'm not partisan enough to align myself with Jerry Falwell and start believing the stereotypes about the music promoting self harm, like you're doing with metal.

And I never said emo fans don't care about the music. I said you're a bad ambassador for your favorite genre who makes it sound like musical quality should be measured by moshpit activities that sound like rejected WWF finishing moves.

I have no beef with the emo genre. It's not my cup of tea, so I don't listen to it and I don't insult the musicians themselves. I have a beef with you being an obnoxious hack.
That's weird because you keep dumping on it and calling it the music of teenagers on MySpace and that it promotes suicide which is a RIDICULOUS accusation that real fans of it hate that stuff (funnily enough you have given a PERFECT analogy earlier in this thread by dumping on hair metal and saying it's not really metal and most metal fans hate it....I've even heard the hair metal analogy before applied to those bands from emo fans) and most of the genre's best work predates MySpace. Like where was MySpace in 1985?
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 03:38:49 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 03:46:21 PM by Klobmentum »

That's weird because you keep dumping on it and calling it the music of teenagers on MySpace
That was not the point of that post. If you recall, the discussion was about why so few women post on Atlas, someone suggested that maybe your constant talking about your foot fetish on an election forum may have something to do with it, you said that women on your emo forums don't have any problem with it (that you know of, not that you'd stop even if you knew) therefore it's fine. Then I said that maybe a near-forty year old man obsessed with the genre of teenagers on MySpace circa 2006 might not be credible or self-aware enough on what creeps women out on election websites. Whether or not that's that's accurate description of emo (and I know it's not), that is the perception of the genre. What people may put up with on those sites doesn't mean it's not creepy to do it here (or there, for that matter). That was my point; you missed that point and instead decided to double down on semantics and literally bragged about how, as an adult, you enjoy mocking what literal children listen to as if that makes you cool.

I'm not dumping on emo music. I'm dumping on you for being an obnoxious, creepy hack. Why would I have strong opinions about emo when I'm not the target audience, the way you dump on things you don't like by siding with Jerry Falwell and calling Bruce Dickenson an awful singer. As you are wont to say, LMAO.
and that it promotes suicide which is a RIDICULOUS accusation that real fans of it hate that stuff (funnily enough you have given a PERFECT analogy earlier in this thread by dumping on hair metal and saying it's not really metal and most metal fans hate it....I've even heard the hair metal analogy before applied to those bands from emo fans

That was intentional on my part. When I drafted that post, I originally quoted you talking about "REAL emo" and threw in some italics and all caps for emphasis, but I figured it was best to be subtle.

and most of the genre's best work predates MySpace. Like where was MySpace in 1985?
This is the your dumbest talking point on this subject. Nirvana's first album came out in the 80s, but everyone agrees Nirvana is a 90s band. Grunge in general is associated with the 90s even though a lot of the bands started in the 80s and kept going into the new millennium. People who were born after the 60s and watch Star Trek aren't retroactively born in the 60s, and Star Trek: The Next Generation isn't a 60s show even though Star Trek began in the 60s. Star Trek also got a lot more popular during the 70s in syndication than it was in the 60s; is every kid who watched Trek reruns in the 70s now a 60s kid? The aughts were the height of emo existing in the mainstream public consciousness, whether or not what people thought was emo was authentic, they were thinking about something called emo more than people were in other time periods.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 07:15:06 PM »

Sure and emo encouraged thousands of teens to commit suicide.

So everyone who watches emo cuts themselves and wants to commit suicide and is a whiny B, right?

Wrong. Are you talking about that stupid crap that kids on MySpace and cishet guys wearing makeup listened to? That ain't emo.

Like just look at the crowd in these...based on the hundreds of shows I've been to I can assure you that's what emo fans look like. I have never once seen one someone with the "MySpace look" at a show.

Also name a single song by Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral or The Get Up Kids or Rites of Spring or Indian Summer or Saetia or Moss Icon or The Hotelier or Jawbreaker that encourages suicide.

Emo is when angsty teenagers wearing all black and slathered in garish makeup sing about cutting and suicide. The more angsty it is the more emoer it is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 07:19:47 PM »

That's weird because you keep dumping on it and calling it the music of teenagers on MySpace
That was not the point of that post. If you recall, the discussion was about why so few women post on Atlas, someone suggested that maybe your constant talking about your foot fetish on an election forum may have something to do with it, you said that women on your emo forums don't have any problem with it (that you know of, not that you'd stop even if you knew) therefore it's fine. Then I said that maybe a near-forty year old man obsessed with the genre of teenagers on MySpace circa 2006 might not be credible or self-aware enough on what creeps women out on election websites. Whether or not that's that's accurate description of emo (and I know it's not), that is the perception of the genre. What people may put up with on those sites doesn't mean it's not creepy to do it here (or there, for that matter). That was my point; you missed that point and instead decided to double down on semantics and literally bragged about how, as an adult, you enjoy mocking what literal children listen to as if that makes you cool.

I'm not dumping on emo music. I'm dumping on you for being an obnoxious, creepy hack. Why would I have strong opinions about emo when I'm not the target audience, the way you dump on things you don't like by siding with Jerry Falwell and calling Bruce Dickenson an awful singer. As you are wont to say, LMAO.

There's more to it than one post...but anyway outside of the fact that Quentin Tarantino movies still get acclaim and win Oscars my main point was that people here REALLY overstate the level to which women are driven off just by things as innocuous as "Is ____________ attractive?" threads when applied to politicians or candidates or whatever, when women don't really care about such comments about female emo band members or in movie discussion places about actresses. And of course they do the same thing about men, it happens here too although it's mostly gay posters because of the gender ratio to begin with. But as I also noted our female admin is also one of the least prudish people here and really is not bothered by that stuff.

This is the your dumbest talking point on this subject. Nirvana's first album came out in the 80s, but everyone agrees Nirvana is a 90s band. Grunge in general is associated with the 90s even though a lot of the bands started in the 80s and kept going into the new millennium. People who were born after the 60s and watch Star Trek aren't retroactively born in the 60s, and Star Trek: The Next Generation isn't a 60s show even though Star Trek began in the 60s. Star Trek also got a lot more popular during the 70s in syndication than it was in the 60s; is every kid who watched Trek reruns in the 70s now a 60s kid? The aughts were the height of emo existing in the mainstream public consciousness, whether or not what people thought was emo was authentic, they were thinking about something called emo more than people were in other time periods.

But MySpace was not the peak of emo at all. In fact that was actually probably the genre's low point, the "emo revival" picked up around 2013ish which is well after MySpace left public relevance. The classic staples of the genre like Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary and Jimmy Eat World's Clarity were well before MySpace. I'm trying to think of a classic emo album released back when MySpace was at its peak, the only band from the wave of the 90s that was still around making albums is probably The Appleseed Cast (in terms of bands that never broke up, a lot reunited later), and of course Jimmy Eat World but moving away from emo....and I suppose Thursday? But their most acclaimed albums were well before MySpace. Taking Back Sunday's Louder Now was in 2006, but most fans prefer the first two albums especially the first from 2002. Rainer Maria released a good album in 2006 but it wasn't as well received as their oldest stuff and the band broke up shortly afterwards (although they reunited.) I can probably come up with some examples if I thought about it enough but the point is clear.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 07:21:12 PM »

Sure and emo encouraged thousands of teens to commit suicide.

So everyone who watches emo cuts themselves and wants to commit suicide and is a whiny B, right?

Wrong. Are you talking about that stupid crap that kids on MySpace and cishet guys wearing makeup listened to? That ain't emo.

Like just look at the crowd in these...based on the hundreds of shows I've been to I can assure you that's what emo fans look like. I have never once seen one someone with the "MySpace look" at a show.

Also name a single song by Sunny Day Real Estate or Mineral or The Get Up Kids or Rites of Spring or Indian Summer or Saetia or Moss Icon or The Hotelier or Jawbreaker that encourages suicide.

Emo is when angsty teenagers wearing all black and slathered in garish makeup sing about cutting and suicide. The more angsty it is the more emoer it is.

What bands in Washington, DC in 1985 did that?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 11:05:59 PM »

OK also a serious question here:

WHERE ARE THE BREAKDOWNS IN IRON MAIDEN SONGS?

Like do they have even a single song where it gets slow in the middle and the gradually builds up to the breakdown where singer just repeats the same thing twice or three times in a row for the crowd to scream along to and then do a really brutal mosh part? There's bands with WAY less songs than they have that have like half of their songs like that lol. And they don't have a single one!
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 12:00:42 AM »

Like do they have even a single song where it gets slow in the middle and the gradually builds up to the breakdown where singer just repeats the same thing twice or three times in a row for the crowd to scream along to and then do a really brutal mosh part? There's bands with WAY less songs than they have that have like half of their songs like that lol. And they don't have a single one!
Not every band has to follow the same formula. Especially not if they're in a completely different genre. That's like if I listened to a bunch of emo bands and got upset at the lack of twin (or tri) guitar solos, shredding, operatic vocals, metal riffs, keyboard solos. Obviously non-emo bands are not going to sound like emo.

Like, if the "f you I won't do what you tell me" Killing in the Name fits your description of a breakdown, then I don't hear any of those in the metal I listen to (classic heavy metal, thrash, prog, classic death, tech death symphonic, doom, death/doom, stoner), but I'm sure you'll find them in metalcore, grindcore, or even crossover thrash, since all of those fuse metal with hardcore, which is precisely why I don't listen to them.

Iron Maiden is great because of the complex arrangements, the three incredibly talented guitarists trading solos and riffs, one of the best vocalists and bassists in rock music who flaunt their talent frequently, the memorable choruses, the progressive elements, the sheer variety and depth of their lyrics, the concept albums, ballads that actually rock, occasionally out-metaling thrash metal bands, just the power and fun of the music. If you don't get it, you don't get it. But for people who like classic heavy metal, Maiden's one of those bands that just feel unbelievably awesome and to listen to and get excited about — and their new stuff is as good as their timeless 80s classics! And they're a band that admittedly is more formulaic than, say Black Sabbath or Judas Priest, but if they were doing breakdowns every song or following the formula that stuff of the punk lineage has always seemed to have — the stuff that you say are selling points — they wouldn't be such a beloved band.

If you listen to Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, or Powerslave (to say nothing of their magnum opus, Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, but that's not a good beginner album) and you don't like them, then heavy metal just isn't for you.

Not Maiden, but look at that Judas Priest video where Halford shuts up and lets the crowd sing every word (and the solo); that wouldn't happen if people who like this music didn't really, really love it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2022, 12:20:46 AM »
« Edited: January 22, 2022, 12:50:25 AM by Badger »

No music without breakdowns is valid! This is uncompletely true fact! Mozart didn't have them! The Beatles didn't! Hank Williams didn't!  Muddy Waters didn't!

LOL! At meant you've now being honest that your railing  Against  Heavy metal It has nothing to do with so called "misogyny ",  And per usual just simply simply a Mania about your own personal taste being elevated to a religious fervor.

You are trying to rail on about iron maiden who songs discussed war, historical events, science fiction almost come out cetera,  But not a single song I can think of having to do with sex, misogynistically or otherwise. Ditto for Metallica and numerous other heavy metal groups I could name. But out of your ignorance of the genre you cherry pick some near Unheard of song by Motley crew that was never even released as a b side to a single, Is plus a couple of almost unheard of bands band as an attempt to rather lamely label an entire genre.

Seriously Tipler, give it a rest.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2022, 12:53:11 AM »

The day Iron Maiden ever does that in one of their songs is the day I burn all of my Iron Maiden stuff and spend the rest of my life denying I ever liked them.

Also mosh pits sound really dangerous. It's hard to think of something that seems less fun.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2022, 01:16:23 AM »

The day Iron Maiden ever does that in one of their songs is the day I burn all of my Iron Maiden stuff and spend the rest of my life denying I ever liked them.

Also mosh pits sound really dangerous. It's hard to think of something that seems less fun.
What? Dude you think these songs are that bad? (examples of super-sick breakdowns in that style)

And no mosh pits are not really dangerous. I've been in well over a hundred and I've never been injured. More people get injured at shows for tripping down stairs or whatever while drunk than in the mosh pit.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2022, 01:29:24 AM »

Both metal and emo suck.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2022, 09:41:30 AM »

What? Dude you think these songs are that bad? (examples of super-sick breakdowns in that style)

And no mosh pits are not really dangerous. I've been in well over a hundred and I've never been injured. More people get injured at shows for tripping down stairs or whatever while drunk than in the mosh pit.

I never want to be involved in anything that's "really brutal," that's for sure.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2022, 10:07:37 AM »

Mosh pits are actually fun and tough to get hurt much in.

The problem is when one becomes such a cultural lemming that they become largely necessary to enjoy the music.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2022, 01:16:21 PM »

Harry do you seriously think venues would allow mosh pits if they were so dangerous? That'd be a liability nightmare waiting to happen.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2022, 03:31:07 PM »

Harry do you seriously think venues would allow mosh pits if they were so dangerous? That'd be a liability nightmare waiting to happen.

Music venues have a long history of allowing, or even encouraging, lots of dangerous behaviours
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »

Music venues have a long history of allowing, or even encouraging, lots of dangerous behaviours
Yeah but how often do you hear of moshing injuries or lawsuits? I'm guessing when you order tickets online now there's probably a legal disclaimer of you waiving the right to sue if you're injured moshing...but how often does that happen? Like I said I've been to literally hundreds of shows and I've seen more injuries from drunk people stumbling than moshing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2022, 05:37:37 PM »

Mosh pits are actually fun and tough to get hurt much in.

The problem is when one becomes such a cultural lemming that they become largely necessary to enjoy the music.
I should make a superhero meme with the buttons being:

"BRTD can't enjoy music he can't mosh to."
"BRTD only listens to emo."

Choose one.

Because most emo does not result in mosh pits, lol.

I listen to a lot of different types of music dude. It's just that heavy metal (or rap, or country, or any type of electronic music) aren't included.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2022, 05:47:25 PM »

How would a venue disallow moshing the first place? Stop and cancel the concert if people start doing it? Have a bunch of undercover cops in the crowd to start arresting people at the first sign of it?

It just seems like one of those things you could have a "rule" against but no real enforcement mechanism.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2022, 05:56:32 PM »

Heavy metal and rap promote violence the same way Family Guy promotes racism and homophobia, or for that matter violent video games promote shootings. (They don't.)

May this be my only contribution to this almost 3 page thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2022, 05:58:56 PM »

How would a venue disallow moshing the first place? Stop and cancel the concert if people start doing it? Have a bunch of undercover cops in the crowd to start arresting people at the first sign of it?

It just seems like one of those things you could have a "rule" against but no real enforcement mechanism.
The bouncers can break things up and eject anyone who starts doing it. That's how some venues enforce rules against crowd surfing and stage diving. When I was in Boston I saw a kid get ejected during literally the last song because he did a stage dive which this venue banned, (although I must give him credit, if you're going to do that it might as well be at literally the last song! I have a feeling he planned that.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2022, 06:15:54 PM »

I have no beef with the emo genre. It's not my cup of tea, so I don't listen to it and I don't insult the musicians themselves. I have a beef with you being an obnoxious hack.
That's weird because you keep dumping on it and calling it the music of teenagers on MySpace and that it promotes suicide which is a RIDICULOUS accusation that real fans of it hate that stuff (funnily enough you have given a PERFECT analogy earlier in this thread by dumping on hair metal and saying it's not really metal and most metal fans hate it....I've even heard the hair metal analogy before applied to those bands from emo fans) and most of the genre's best work predates MySpace. Like where was MySpace in 1985?

Is it worth pointing out here that you are taking extreme fringe and largely unpopular//nobody songs and groups to try to prove your point about azjandra that you are 99% ignorant of? I mean you've got more than a little bit of  Is a pot and kettle thing going here.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2022, 06:17:14 PM »

Is it worth pointing out here that you are taking extreme fringe and largely unpopular//nobody songs and groups to try to prove your point about azjandra that you are 99% ignorant of? I mean you've got more than a little bit of  Is a pot and kettle thing going here.
SUNNY DAY REAL ESTATE is an unpopular nobody band?!

Dude.

(Also "azjandra", lol, I have no clue what that is.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies