CIA: Havana Syndrome not result of sustained campaign by hostile govt.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:38:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CIA: Havana Syndrome not result of sustained campaign by hostile govt.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CIA: Havana Syndrome not result of sustained campaign by hostile govt.  (Read 396 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2022, 11:36:18 PM »

GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 11:37:06 PM »

I believe the opposite of whatever the CIA says.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 11:40:56 PM »

I don't really see a motive to lie on this one though. They could easily say "yes it's a hostile campaign, but we can't give you any more details because they're classified and also we need more money" and it would probably be accepted by all the people they care about. But also "hostile campaign" has always seemed the simplest explanation for what's happened and I don't have a good better explanation.

Maybe this is some first step towards re-normalizing relations with Cuba? I kind of doubt it, but that's the only ulterior motive I can think of off the top of my head.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:53:20 PM »

Well that's definitely strange. Although it sounds like the namesake cases still have no explanation.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 12:31:20 AM »

Most people who payed attention knew this was bull••••, just like the Russian hit jobs in Afghanistan.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 12:55:25 AM »

It was all that Iraqi WMD.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 01:04:05 AM »

I’ve always figured it’s just a case of mass hysteria
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 01:16:34 AM »

Me too, what with their track record of downplaying the threat posed by the Cuban government and trying to defuse tensions with US adversaries.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 10:03:41 AM »

The fact that this was ever taken seriously is a great example of the ways in which medicine can be biased. Havana Syndrome is a quintessential example of a mass psychogenic illness--it happened in a small, cloistered, highly stressed community and then was amplified by extensive media coverage. Many of the people who suffered from it were likely experiencing some sort of anxiety attack or other illness. Here's a good article laying out the case with a bit more expertise than I have.

The fact that it wasn't recognized as such is a great testament of who gets taken seriously by doctors and by the government.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 10:30:41 AM »

Another Democrat Media's peace of Fake News in order to steal election from Trump got busted.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 10:44:29 AM »

I mean, it seems to me the headline should read “Some cases of Havana Syndrome not a result of sustained campaign by hostile govt.”

American personnel were told to be on the lookout for these symptoms and to report any and all instances of them. Of course a lot of the cases were nothing to worry about. The article says as much. The article also says that many of the cases from the initial string of incidents in Havana still cannot be explained. So I don’t think anything is case closed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 11:24:07 AM »

I mean, it seems to me the headline should read “Some cases of Havana Syndrome not a result of sustained campaign by hostile govt.”

American personnel were told to be on the lookout for these symptoms and to report any and all instances of them. Of course a lot of the cases were nothing to worry about. The article says as much. The article also says that many of the cases from the initial string of incidents in Havana still cannot be explained. So I don’t think anything is case closed.

Came here to post basically this.

I honestly don't get why some people have trouble believing a government might or could do this. Directed energy weapons are going to be play an increasingly bigger role in future warfare. Something like "Havana Syndrome" isn't just plausible, it's inevitable.

That being said, they didn't say it never happened, they just said that most of the cases that were reported after they asked personnel to report any similar symptoms had other explanations, which is to be expected. They don't have an explanation for the original reports and the original theory could still be applicable.

I have no idea if foreign powers were doing what was alleged but it's certainly possible and so easy that it's hard to see this not being done in the future, if it wasn't already in this case.
SInNYC

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 02:25:05 PM »

One possibility that I've always believed is that this was caused by some shenanigans that our side does in our embassies to spy on the other side.

The above statement makes me bump the probability of this up to 25%. Mass hysteria is at only 10% for me, ever since the Havana syndrome was experienced in numerous other countries too.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 02:27:09 PM »

One possibility that I've always believed is that this was caused by some shenanigans that our side does in our embassies to spy on the other side.

The above statement makes me bump the probability of this up to 25%. Mass hysteria is at only 10% for me, ever since the Havana syndrome was experienced in numerous other countries too.

You do understand how mass hysteria works, no?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 02:29:30 PM »

I thought it might be true when first reports surfaced around 2015 and 2016, but just a few months ago alleged cases were reported from elsewhere, among them Berlin. So a hostile government as initiator seems doubtful.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 09:48:48 PM »

If it happened, our Intelligence Community has decided that we don't need to know that
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies