Parts of the West/South in which population is declining
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:28:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Parts of the West/South in which population is declining
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Parts of the West/South in which population is declining  (Read 232 times)
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2022, 03:18:13 PM »

We all know the rust belt in the Midwest/Northeast and the older legacy cities but not abandoned or blighted cities of Philly/Boston and Hartford. But what about places in the West and South that are experiencing population declines? I.E Pine Bluff, AR
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 03:29:39 PM »

A lot of the Black Belt is seeing population declines.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 03:33:31 PM »

Northern New Mexico.  The state is barely growing overall and it has the oil boom counties in the SE.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2022, 10:11:39 AM by Big Abraham »

The majority of counties nationwide are losing population. Especially notable in the South/West are most of Louisiana/Arkansas/Mississippi, most of Wyoming, and basically anywhere in Texas west of the Austin and Dallas metropolitan areas.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 04:09:16 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2022, 04:14:31 PM by Skill and Chance »

Kentucky really stands out for exceeding structural expectations!

Hmmm... these are the states with no state income tax (dark yellow) or substantially lower state income tax than several of their neighbors.  Pretty clear correlation with the few places where rural/exurban areas are holding up, except for CA and TX oddly enough.

Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 04:12:08 PM »

Parts of inland northern California are hemorrhaging population as fire insurance premiums go through the roof, resource based economies that collapsed in the 80s remain stagnant, and Republicans leave for states with more congruent politics. Modoc, Lassen, Plumas, Siskiyou, Butte, and Sierra counties all lost population at the 2020 census.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:38 PM »

Hmmm... these are the states with no state income tax (dark yellow) or substantially lower state income tax than several of their neighbors.  Pretty clear correlation with the few places where rural/exurban areas are holding up, except for CA and TX oddly enough.

I wouldn't rule out such an effect, but I'm not sure I see it as clearly as you do. In general rural western counties are not seeing the same depopulation as east of the Rockies, regardless of income tax level. This could be a product of the different economic composition of the rural west, or it could be a product of how much larger western counties are. Rural Texas looks much the same as other rural areas in spite of its lack of any state income tax. Obviously there are very few counties in Florida that are losing significant population, but Florida is sufficiently different from neighboring states that an apples-to-apples comparison is difficult.

To the extent that there's evidence for this theory, that evidence would be in Tennessee. I do think that Tennessee is worth exploring further, because it really does stick out on this map.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 05:33:58 PM »

I wouldn't rule out such an effect, but I'm not sure I see it as clearly as you do. In general rural western counties are not seeing the same depopulation as east of the Rockies, regardless of income tax level. This could be a product of the different economic composition of the rural west, or it could be a product of how much larger western counties are. Rural Texas looks much the same as other rural areas in spite of its lack of any state income tax. Obviously there are very few counties in Florida that are losing significant population, but Florida is sufficiently different from neighboring states that an apples-to-apples comparison is difficult.

To the extent that there's evidence for this theory, that evidence would be in Tennessee. I do think that Tennessee is worth exploring further, because it really does stick out on this map.

Also Virginia, which does have income tax, but at only ~half the level of D.C. and the D.C. area Maryland counties.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies