LA to start enforcing the book more harshly on those who needlessly waste water
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:43:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  LA to start enforcing the book more harshly on those who needlessly waste water
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LA to start enforcing the book more harshly on those who needlessly waste water  (Read 386 times)
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 19, 2022, 01:11:21 PM »

Good. What is the point of owning a pool when the beach is only a few miles away?

In a wealthy enclave along the Santa Monica Mountains that is a haven for celebrities, residents are now facing more aggressive consequences for wasting water.

The Las Virgenes Municipal Water District northwest of Los Angeles hopes to spur water savings by making it easier to fine households that go over their allotted “water budgets” and threatening to vastly limit water flow to customers who repeatedly fail to conserve.

The district offers a bold example of how local authorities across drought-stricken California are trying to get people to use less water, voluntarily if possible but with the threat of punishment if they don’t comply. Las Virgenes officials hope their approach will be a wakeup call for residents of the affluent neighborhoods, where most of the water goes toward outdoor use like landscaping and pools.

“What we’re trying to do is conserve water now so that we can stretch the limited supplies we have available,” said Dave Pederson, the district’s general manager.

California is feeling the effects of climate change; it has had drought conditions for most of the last decade and during that period endured its most destructive and deadly wildfires. After two exceptionally dry years that left the state’s reservoirs at or near record lows, a string of recent winter storms improved conditions. But most of the state is still in severe drought.

In July, Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom asked residents to voluntarily cut 15% of their water use, but it declined only 6% as of November. The state water board last month imposed a series of mild restrictions, such as waiting two days after a storm to water lawns. It could take more significant steps later in the year if the drought intensifies.

https://apnews.com/article/business-california-environment-and-nature-droughts-7eb1fdf1a19e15b1db41a000168b2cf6
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 01:15:36 PM »

Start with the golf courses.

Letters to the Editor: Golf courses are a serious waste of water
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 01:23:35 PM »

This drought stuff and water restrictions has been going on forever, it seems. There were times through the years when we had to stop watering our lawns and let them go brown. And we couldn't wash our cars in our driveways. We had to restrict our showers. And I'm still amazed that as I drive around my area that people still have green green lawns. And of course they always keep golf courses green. (Reclaimed water I think.)

I think the only way to stop the waste is to penalize the abuses in a way that hurts. Big fines. Or make water much more expensive. (After using your certain allotment.) I don't like the idea of this, but what are we supposed to do? Especially those people who have gobs of money and who must keep up their mansions....make 'em pay big.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 01:28:34 PM »

Good.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 01:52:01 PM »

maybe stop subsidizing the nut farmers?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 01:59:31 PM »

Lol @ commiefornia.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 03:38:30 PM »

That would be a libertarian NUT policy
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 05:02:19 PM »

+ ban pools and lawn watering in vulnerable areas
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 05:11:47 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2022, 07:29:20 PM by GP270watch »

Grass is trash. Using valuable water to grow biologically incompetent grass, plus dumping pesticides and chemicals on it that kills actual wildlife and plants when it runs-off. Post WWII suburbia really warped what Americans believe is a nice home.

We could transform our yards to look this fantastic instead of being mandated to keep a grasshole.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2022, 05:36:11 PM »

All fine but all not that meaningful, frankly; some marginal changes to agricultural use would do more than the harshest restrictions LA County can impose
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2022, 06:25:16 PM »

That would be a libertarian NUT policy

Well, this is a first. As it happens, I agree.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2022, 06:26:27 PM »

Only horrible people drink almond milk anyway. Although I guess oat milk is the new thing now, but that's at least much less bad for the environment and it froths better than cow milk, so there is some legitimate use.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »

Only horrible people drink almond milk anyway. Although I guess oat milk is the new thing now, but that's at least much less bad for the environment and it froths better than cow milk, so there is some legitimate use.

Oat milk is the best of all the non-dairy milks. Coconut is good too and adds an interesting taste when sub it for dariy milk when baking.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 03:02:05 PM »

Yeah, wanting to save water is so communist. (And if it is, then I guess that means anyone who isn't shamelessly self-centred and actually cares about the planet, is communist.)

Not going to lie, though - another reason I'm happy I don't live in LA - I like to see water get saved but my baths are sometimes very long and I'm not sure I'd be able to stay within the budget. I sometimes become aware of this and have a quicker bath, but sometimes my baths are way too long for to to stay realistically within the budget (

what I mean is, adding up my bath and all other water usage would probably push me quite a bit above the limit).

Grass is trash. Using valuable water to grow biologically incompetent grass, plus dumping pesticides and chemicals on it that kills actual wildlife and plants when it runs-off. Post WWII suburbia really warped what Americans believe is a nice home.

We could transform our yards to look this fantastic instead of being mandated to keep a grasshole.

Interesting take. You're probably right.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »

All fine but all not that meaningful, frankly; some marginal changes to agricultural use would do more than the harshest restrictions LA County can impose
This.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 03:55:33 PM »

This drought stuff and water restrictions has been going on forever, it seems.

Large portions of California (and really the Desert West in general) are not naturally inhabitable but they insist on building there anyway, stretching the water supply thin even in the best of times.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies