1984: Joe Biden is the Democratic nominee, Gary Hart is the VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:35:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1984: Joe Biden is the Democratic nominee, Gary Hart is the VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1984: Joe Biden is the Democratic nominee, Gary Hart is the VP  (Read 527 times)
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2022, 09:05:38 PM »

Biden would probably forfeit Minnesota but do better than Mondale elsewhere.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 01:14:41 AM »

President Ronald Reagan (R-CA) / Vice President George Bush (R-TX) ✓
Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) / Senator Gary Hart (D-CO)

It's difficult to see an opening for Biden in the primaries to begin with- Mondale had New Dealer labor, Hart had the younger, tech-friendly, business-friendly Atari Democrats- but I'm guessing Biden runs like a better version of Hart with just enough Rust Belt/developing Farm Crisis appeal to pull off an upset. He and Hart win over Kennedyland, but given the quality of Biden's campaigning, I don't think he could sell himself as a populist insurgent and really make inroads in the Midwest. It was too early for the Republican Lite strategy, so that door is closed too. All a Biden (or Hart) primary upset really achieves is making the Democrats' disarray look worse, because neither had a substantiative alternative to Mondale's New Dealerism or Reagan's neoliberalism, just platitudes about newness and youth ("where's the beef?").
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 10:09:22 AM »

It's difficult to see an opening for Biden in the primaries to begin with- Mondale had New Dealer labor, Hart had the younger, tech-friendly, business-friendly Atari Democrats- but I'm guessing Biden runs like a better version of Hart with just enough Rust Belt/developing Farm Crisis appeal to pull off an upset. He and Hart win over Kennedyland, but given the quality of Biden's campaigning, I don't think he could sell himself as a populist insurgent and really make inroads in the Midwest. It was too early for the Republican Lite strategy, so that door is closed too. All a Biden (or Hart) primary upset really achieves is making the Democrats' disarray look worse, because neither had a substantiative alternative to Mondale's New Dealerism or Reagan's neoliberalism, just platitudes about newness and youth ("where's the beef?").

Reagan would also still have been able to use the "youth and inexperience" line against Biden, which definitely handed him the election, as Biden had less experience than even Mondale.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 11:32:22 AM »

Seems about right with the exception of West Virginia. Ronald Reagan might have done better in the popular vote as well due to the fact that a Republican lite strategy for the Democrats wouldn’t have worked that well until the early 1990s.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 12:18:58 PM »

Seems about right with the exception of West Virginia.

If the labor candidate couldn't win it, how could a young moderate Biden? Actually, come to think of it, I'm starting to question myself on Rhode Island.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 08:21:07 AM »

Seems about right with the exception of West Virginia.

If the labor candidate couldn't win it, how could a young moderate Biden? Actually, come to think of it, I'm starting to question myself on Rhode Island.
West Virginia is in close proximity to Delaware, so maybe Joe Biden would have had a semi home state boost there. On the same logic, Pennsylvania and Maryland would have flipped as well as they were very weak wins for Ronald Reagan even against Walter Mondale.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies