Finland: Air Force's swastika flag puts German guests in awkward position
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:05:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Finland: Air Force's swastika flag puts German guests in awkward position
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Finland: Air Force's swastika flag puts German guests in awkward position  (Read 1663 times)
Helsinkian
Finland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2021, 12:49:48 AM »
« edited: June 08, 2021, 11:49:13 AM by Helsinkian »

Every once in a while the Finnish Air Force's continued use of swastika emblems makes news. There is currently a joint airforce exercise in Finland involving units from several countries. A few days ago, the Finnish Air Force held a small ceremony in honour of the Finnish Defence Force's Flag Day. Representatives of the visiting militaries were invited, but the officer representing the German Bundeswehr declined the invitation when he was told of this flag which belongs to the Lapland Air Command of the FAF (a clearer look at the flag in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapland_Air_Command):

Title from Lapin Kansa, the newspaper from which the screenshot is taken: "Swastika prevented Germans from participating in Flag Day ceremony in Rovaniemi -- 'German soldiers can not stand in front of such a flag'"

Comment from Teivo Teivainen (professor of world politics, University of Helsinki): "Swastika complicates military co-operation, though it upholds tradition. From a German point of view, the #SeparateSwastika might not be separate enough to work with. #FlagDay"

The German officer was quoted in another article:

"I was told in advance that the flag would be in the ceremony, so I decided not to attend. Even though the event has the best of intentions, as a German officer I cannot appear with such a symbol. [...] Appearing with a swastika would be sufficient grounds for expelling me from the German Armed Forces."
https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli/saksalaiset-jattivat-lippujuhlan-seremonian-valiin-hakaristin-takia-saksalaisena-upseerina-en-voi-esiintya-sellaisen-symbolin-kanssa/8163368#gs.2snac2

The history of the swastika in the Finnish Air Force goes back to 1918 when the Swedish nobleman Eric von Rosen donated the FAF one of its first planes. He had painted a swastika on the plane because it was a personal symbol used by him, and the FAF adopted the swastika as its emblem. This usage had nothing to do with nazism, as the nazis adopted the swastika later, in 1920 (though Rosen did later become a nazi). Until 1945, FAF planes used a blue swastika on a white background as the air force roundel. That was changed after WW2, but units of the Air Force have still continued to use a swastika in their flags.

BBC wrote on the Finnish use of the swastika last year when the central Air Force Command changed its swastika emblem (but, as noted, individual FAF units continue to use it): https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53249645
Jens
Angola

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 05:50:28 AM »

Is there any discussion about it on a national level in Finland? It does seems like at strange thing to hang on to. Carlsberg used to use the swastika as a symbol but dropped it after WW2

On a side note. Has there been any chances to the war museum in Helsinki? Last time I visited, the Continuation War exhibition was hillariously bad and a major white wash
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 07:04:57 AM »

I suppose things are complicated by its connection to the 1940 war with the USSR - which remains a major source of national pride.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »

Is there any discussion about it on a national level in Finland? It does seems like at strange thing to hang on to. Carlsberg used to use the swastika as a symbol but dropped it after WW2

The aforementioned Teivo Teivainen has been the swastika's loudest critic in public.

On a side note. Has there been any chances to the war museum in Helsinki? Last time I visited, the Continuation War exhibition was hillariously bad and a major white wash

Not sure, I haven't been there in a long time.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2021, 03:47:09 PM »

Even as someone who often clings onto traditional symbols that are controversial in this day and age, I would give Finland the advice to take the L on this one and retire the swastika symbol...
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

Yes really not a hill worth dying on.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2021, 07:56:11 PM »

Love the casual “(though he later became a Nazi)” thrown in there.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2021, 07:22:25 AM »

Yes really not a hill worth dying on.
Their country also occasionally pays tribute to the Tsars(as Grand Duke).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2021, 08:10:56 AM »

Unrelated: Does the Finnish Air Force accept foreigners? I have a pilot license...
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2021, 09:05:30 AM »

Unrelated: Does the Finnish Air Force accept foreigners? I have a pilot license...

Not currently, I don't think so. There were foreign volunteer pilots in the Winter War, but that was a during a time of crisis.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 06:06:46 AM »

He was a Pre-WWII Swedish nobleman, it wasn’t really necessary to bring up unless he hadn’t become a Nazi, but I sure his great grandchildren are super woke today.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2022, 03:05:35 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2022, 03:20:34 AM by Helsinkian »

The Air Force's swastika flags again spark debate after another appearance at a parade last week:

Quoting from Finnish foreign policy expert Charly Salonius-Pasternak:

Quote from: Charly Salonius-Pasternak
Future NATO membership requires a shift in strategic culture in Finland with regard to #SecurityPolitics, citizens and defence.

One framework of 'compatibility' is #stratcom. Let people figure out what this looks like in the 'Flag Day' parade.

And before someone starts with 'But we used it already in...' or 'It's part of a tradition...', I'll say: stop.

The swastika has been destroyed as a 'positive' symbol. The #SeparateSwastika does not belong in this century.

I'm sure that if Russia were to invade Finland, the online tankies would be spamming these photos everywhere. Then again, if this flag did not exist, they would just make up something else.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2022, 04:02:36 AM »

If I left this comment, I would probably be permabanned lmao
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2022, 05:15:34 AM »

The Air Force's swastika flags again spark debate after another appearance at a parade last week:

Quoting from Finnish foreign policy expert Charly Salonius-Pasternak:

Quote from: Charly Salonius-Pasternak
Future NATO membership requires a shift in strategic culture in Finland with regard to #SecurityPolitics, citizens and defence.

One framework of 'compatibility' is #stratcom. Let people figure out what this looks like in the 'Flag Day' parade.

And before someone starts with 'But we used it already in...' or 'It's part of a tradition...', I'll say: stop.

The swastika has been destroyed as a 'positive' symbol. The #SeparateSwastika does not belong in this century.

I'm sure that if Russia were to invade Finland, the online tankies would be spamming these photos everywhere. Then again, if this flag did not exist, they would just make up something else.

Well of course they would, but maybe it is time to finally "retire" this odd relic of the past.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 08:20:37 AM »

He was a Pre-WWII Swedish nobleman, it wasn’t really necessary to bring up unless he hadn’t become a Nazi, but I sure his great grandchildren are super woke today.

Nazism found a lot of sympathizers in Sweden, I believe. Ingmar Bergman was one too, at least until he learned what was happening inside the concentration camps.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2022, 10:18:25 AM »

Nazism found a lot of sympathizers in Sweden, I believe. Ingmar Bergman was one too, at least until he learned what was happening inside the concentration camps.

Everyone in the Swedish elite loved the Nazis, because the Swedish elite always follow the political fashion of the time, thanks God that Sweden is a democracy and normal Swedes are able to run the show.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »

Public display of the Swastika is banned in many countries and Australia is following suit.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 10:47:55 AM »

Yeah ridiclous how much sh**t you can get away with if you're the right poster
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2022, 12:41:13 PM »

Yeah ridiclous how much sh**t you can get away with if you're the right poster
You're just jealous you're not a forum institution.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 12:49:38 PM »

Nobody would think you were joking.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies