SB 107-05: Harry S. Truman Anti-Big Tobbaco Act (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:04:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 107-05: Harry S. Truman Anti-Big Tobbaco Act (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 107-05: Harry S. Truman Anti-Big Tobbaco Act (Passed)  (Read 986 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: January 15, 2022, 04:25:37 PM »

Just for the record, I actually do not agree with the fart box law in Fremont, which doesn't provide consumer information and only creates an unnecessary hurdle to obtaining cigarettes. Eric Gardner was murdered by police simply for selling "loose" cigarettes, because the taxes in New York City are so high that there is a small black market for cheaper cigarettes. I can only imagine similar problems in Fremont. Not to mention the environmental impact these fart boxes have once they are disposed.

But I want the Senate to settle the question as to whether authority over cigarette packaging lies with the regions, or with the federal government under current law. At the moment, I am leaning towards signing the bill. But we have a 50/50 Senate now, so we can have a fair and inclusive debate.

I encourage both Truman and Mr. Reactionary to make their case.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 10:11:21 PM »

I was hoping there would actually be substantive debate here.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 05:32:43 PM »

Very disappointed in the lack of participation on this bill. There was absolutely zero debate, and half the chamber didn't even bother to show up to vote. The Senate was given the chance to put this issue to rest, and so it has. I will reiterate, as I said in my signing statement, that if you're upset that this issue was not resolved in your favor, then you have no one to blame but yourself for not whipping votes or persuading senators. You had ample time to do both those things.

Was there a law stopping regional governments from implementing their own policies? This seems redundant or unnecessary

Abstain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_Labeling_and_Advertising_Act
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies