What if a presidential nominee can't find a VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:34:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  What if a presidential nominee can't find a VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if a presidential nominee can't find a VP  (Read 1611 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2022, 11:17:35 PM »

What would happen if a nominee for president struggled to find a VP who would commit to running on the ticket if he or she won the nomination? Would the VP be chosen by the party delegates?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 09:26:47 PM »

I mean I guess so, letting the convention pick the VP has happened in the past (like 1956 with Adlai E Stevenson). Or party insiders could just give advise to the presidential nominee on who to pick.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:47:51 AM »

I mean I guess so, letting the convention pick the VP has happened in the past (like 1956 with Adlai E Stevenson). Or party insiders could just give advise to the presidential nominee on who to pick.

Yup. VP could be chosen by the national conventions.

More interesting is the question what happens if no VP is nominated and the presidential nominee wins the election. My understanding is that the senate would chose the VP among these who received EVs for the position (usually the Top 3). If only the losing candidate gets EVs or the senate just can't vote for anyone with 51 votes, the position would most likely remain unfilled. It's unclear whether the prez could nominate a new VP under the 25 Amendment in this scenario as the vacancy was caused his the inability to elect VP in the first place and not through resignation, death or presidential ascension.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 11:09:40 AM »

More interesting is the question what happens if no VP is nominated and the presidential nominee wins the election. My understanding is that the senate would chose the VP among these who received EVs for the position (usually the Top 3). If only the losing candidate gets EVs or the senate just can't vote for anyone with 51 votes, the position would most likely remain unfilled. It's unclear whether the prez could nominate a new VP under the 25 Amendment in this scenario as the vacancy was caused his the inability to elect VP in the first place and not through resignation, death or presidential ascension.

Yeah, I'm guessing the 25th Amendment is invoked or the Senate picks a VP.

This actually happened in West Wing when the vice-presidential candidate died a few days pre-elecion, the Democratic candidate went on to win the general election by a hair, and proceeded to choose a new vice-president via the 25th Amendment.

Interestingly, in 1840, the Democrats didn't nominate a vice-president candidate - Martin van Buren was renominated, but Richard Mentor Johnson was dropped as the running mate and I believe they actually just ran without one.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 08:15:38 PM »

Yeah, I'm guessing the 25th Amendment is invoked or the Senate picks a VP.

This actually happened in West Wing when the vice-presidential candidate died a few days pre-elecion, the Democratic candidate went on to win the general election by a hair, and proceeded to choose a new vice-president via the 25th Amendment.

Interestingly, in 1840, the Democrats didn't nominate a vice-president candidate - Martin van Buren was renominated, but Richard Mentor Johnson was dropped as the running mate and I believe they actually just ran without one.

I think what would happen would be that as long as the vacancy/death happens before the safe harbor/electoral voting day then the party could just instruct all of their electors to pick a certain person for their VP pick.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies