State of the Union to be held on Mar. 1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:53:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  State of the Union to be held on Mar. 1
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: State of the Union to be held on Mar. 1  (Read 588 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2022, 08:26:33 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/07/us/politics/biden-state-of-the-union.html

This is later than normal.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 08:35:21 PM »

I fully expect for this address to resemble the one Biden gave last year. All members of Congress, and all others in attendance, will be masked and distanced. It will be a dystopian picture, and a reminder that we still haven't gotten out of the pandemic situation.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:22 PM »

It's because they want to give BBB more time to come together before the speech.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 08:45:55 PM »

I fully expect for this address to resemble the one Biden gave last year. All members of Congress, and all others in attendance, will be masked and distanced. It will be a dystopian picture, and a reminder that we still haven't gotten out of the pandemic situation.

Dystopia is when mask
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 08:47:59 PM »

Dystopia is when mask

Pandemics themselves are dystopian.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 08:50:00 PM »

Dystopia is when mask

I didn't like the sight when I saw it last year. I will just never get used to seeing masks.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »

My conservative parents think Biden is doing this so he will have time to make something happen that 'he can brag about'
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 11:44:04 PM »

Undoubtedly will be one of the more embarrassing events.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 12:01:41 AM »

Dystopia is when mask

I didn't like the sight when I saw it last year. I will just never get used to seeing masks.

Fwiw this is something we agree on Calthrina; masks are horrible. Necessary in many situations, but absolutely horrible. I hate wearing them, I hate seeing them, and I really dislike the idea of them becoming a regular feature of American social life forever like they've become so far.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 01:05:27 AM »

I think the reason for the relative lateness is to avoid that.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 01:15:45 AM »

Personally, if I were Biden, I wouldn't go in person, and just have Harris or a Cabinet member (maybe someone with no Presidential ambitions, like Garland or Austin) deliver the State of the Union.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 01:18:46 AM »

Undoubtedly will be one of the more embarrassing events.

Trump praised Rush Limbaugh at the SOTU so D's didn't like that either, what has Rush Limbaugh done for society beyond the hardcore, Trump gave him a medal of freedom that's only for people that contributed to everyone in society like Bush W did when he gave Bill Cosby the medal of freedom
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 01:38:21 AM »

There's far more to our dystopia (and I agree we are in one) than just one pandemic and masks.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 01:54:13 AM »

Personally, if I were Biden, I wouldn't go in person, and just have Harris or a Cabinet member (maybe someone with no Presidential ambitions, like Garland or Austin) deliver the State of the Union.

If Biden gives a damn about his public image, this would be a terrible idea. The idea behind the SotU speech is that it's a chance for the president to connect with their government and, at least for contemporary addresses, the people. Biden hiding behind his VP or some relatively unknown cabinet member would definitely give off a message of opaqueness, and Biden's public image is currently too fragile to consider such a risky move. Any dumb gaffe that Mr. You-Know-The-Thing would perform would do far less damage to his public image than pussying out altogether.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 02:01:45 AM »

If Biden gives a damn about his public image, this would be a terrible idea. The idea behind the SotU speech is that it's a chance for the president to connect with their government and, at least for contemporary addresses, the people. Biden hiding behind his VP or some relatively unknown cabinet member would definitely give off a message of opaqueness, and Biden's public image is currently too fragile to consider such a risky move. Any dumb gaffe that Mr. You-Know-The-Thing would perform would do far less damage to his public image than pussying out altogether.

Biden's also running a much higher risk of getting murdered than any President before him, and multiple House members openly carry guns on the House floor (Boebert for example). What's stopping one of them from openly shooting him during the State of the Union?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 02:12:34 AM »

Biden's also running a much higher risk of getting murdered than any President before him, and multiple House members openly carry guns on the House floor (Boebert for example). What's stopping one of them from openly shooting him during the State of the Union?

I'm sure Secret Service would love to have Congressmen openly carry their guns around the President, although if Boebert seriously wanted to take out the illegitimate puppet president, she probably would've done it a long time ago, especially without the cameras rolling. Regardless, though, there's a reason why the line of succession and the designated survivor both exist.

The chances of a Congressman going postal for whatever reason is far too low to warrant Biden severely scarring his public image whilst tarnishing one of government's most prized traditions.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 07:41:49 AM »

I think the reason for the relative lateness is to avoid that.

I think it's still going to happen.

There's far more to our dystopia (and I agree we are in one) than just one pandemic and masks.

Of course. But the sight of masks is a demoralizing and disheartening one to me.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 07:58:29 AM »

Dystopia is when mask

It is a dystopian picture. The sight would be stunning to anyone before the pandemic started, including you.

Anyway, what achievements does Biden really have to tout? His first year has been a disappointment, even if you are one of his foremost supporters or don't regret your vote for him.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 09:33:08 AM »

Dystopia is when mask

It is a dystopian picture. The sight would be stunning to anyone before the pandemic started, including you.

Anyway, what achievements does Biden really have to tout? His first year has been a disappointment, even if you are one of his foremost supporters or don't regret your vote for him.
Maybe his plan to send everyone N95s and place a renewed emphasis on masking is his main achievement so far.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 10:21:25 AM »

Suddenly the America Rescue and infrastructure bill (much larger than Obama's stimulus) aren't achievements anymore?

Vaccines available to every American not explicitly refusing Ending the war in Afghanistan? He did in his first year the few good things Trump wanted to do but was too incompetent to get done.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2022, 11:21:10 AM »

I look forwards to watching it
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 11:33:12 AM »

Dystopia is when mask

Maybe his plan to send everyone N95s and place a renewed emphasis on masking is his main achievement so far.

I'm not sure about this. Probably the most substantive policy accomplishment of this administration was the bipartisan infrastructure bill, and that has already been forgotten by the majority of the electorate and by the media. And Biden "placing a renewed emphasis on masking" isn't going to win over those who are tiring of restrictions, who are opposed to mask mandates, or who have moved on. That comprises an increasingly larger section of the electorate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 11:51:43 AM »

Yes the Rs have no reason to complain , Trump devoted his Last 2020 SOTU to Rush Limbaugh what has he done for society at Large, nothing
compucomp

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 11:59:13 AM »

Dystopia is when mask

I'm not sure about this. Probably the most substantive policy accomplishment of this administration was the bipartisan infrastructure bill, and that has already been forgotten by the majority of the electorate and by the media. And Biden "placing a renewed emphasis on masking" isn't going to win over those who are tiring of restrictions, who are opposed to mask mandates, or who have moved on. That comprises an increasingly larger section of the electorate.

This is a commonly held belief on this forum, but I'm not convinced this is how the public actually is thinking. At the CDC/FDA hearing last week multiple Republican senators criticized the administration's COVID response, citing the confusing messaging and the scarcity of testing. It's true logical soundness is not required for the opposition party to criticize the incumbent, but the logical conclusion of this criticism is not that the pandemic is over and COVID is not a threat. Also multiple Democratic senators sent the administration a letter calling for better testing resources. So there is bipartisan agreement that the administration needs to do something to effectively address Omicron. If on March 1, the test kits and masks have been sent out, and Omicron is in retreat (big if, but a reasonable bet right now), Biden could say that he took decisive action to effectively address Omicron without causing economic damage and gain points that way.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 11:29:48 AM »

Suddenly the America Rescue and infrastructure bill (much larger than Obama's stimulus) aren't achievements anymore?

Vaccines available to every American not explicitly refusing Ending the war in Afghanistan? He did in his first year the few good things Trump wanted to do but was too incompetent to get done.

The war in Afghanistan was ended, but Americans disapproved of how it was ended. And the more ambitious elements of Biden's agenda-such as BBB, voting rights, etc.-have failed or are facing significant obstacles.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies