SR 107-04: Anti-Filibuster Senate Rules Change (Rejected) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SR 107-04: Anti-Filibuster Senate Rules Change (Rejected) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SR 107-04: Anti-Filibuster Senate Rules Change (Rejected)  (Read 3559 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« on: January 14, 2022, 09:05:58 PM »

A RESOLUTION
To prevent Senate procedural abuse

Be it resolved by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia

Section 1. Title

This resolution may be cited as the Anti-Filibuster Senate Rules Change.

Section 2. Amendment to Senate Rules

Section 3.1 of the Official Senate Procedures and Rules for Operation is hereby amended:

1.) During the course of debate on legislation, any sitting Senator may offer amendments to the legislation. The President Pro Tempore may remove amendments from consideration that are functionally impractical, frivolous, directly unconstitutional, or lack clear intent regarding the changes to be made. The amendment sponsor shall have 24 hours to object to the decision and may overturn the action with the concurrence of 1/3rd 8 of his fellow 40% of present and voting Senators. Unless stated otherwise in the amendment, components of the underlying legislation not referenced in an amendment will remain unchanged.

Proposing an amendment (for real this time). This accounts for the absences that frequently plague this body. Under this amendment, at least 40% of the override votes must be 'Aye' for the PPT's action to be overridden.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 01:57:51 AM »

I think 40% is reasonable. We need to balance the need to prevent a small portion of the body from exercising complete dominance over Senate business with the need to prevent the PPT from exercising complete dominance over Senate business - the more inactive the Senate is sans my amendment, the more easily the PPT can simply exercise control even with a majority of active members in opposition (adding that this is by no means an attack on Western, a good friend of mine.- this is purely a hypothetical for a future PPT). Would be willing to go up to 44% though, which matches the 8/18 ratio in the original bill more exactly.

Ofc more than open to hear feedback from the President and other Senators to get a consensus on this number.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 11:37:56 PM »

Objecting. I lean in favor of the amendment but I think the rest of Congress should give input for the exact number we're going to use.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 02:47:24 AM »

Aye
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix