Election Night 2044: A One Off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:16:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Election Night 2044: A One Off
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election Night 2044: A One Off  (Read 867 times)
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2022, 01:43:30 PM »
« edited: January 14, 2022, 03:06:58 PM by CookieDamage »

CNN's Coverage of Election Night: 2044

Newscaster: Well, Brianna, polls have just begun closing on the East Coast, and we have word that President Ossoff has boarded Air Force One to California in order to attend a celebration, hopefully a celebration rally, with Vice President and Democratic Nominee Katie Porter.

Brianna Keilar: That's right, I'm also hearing that Senators Hawley and Boebert have both appeared together at their own event in Missouri. Before we talk about that, CNN will be making it's first calls of the night. Let's bring it to Chief Political Correspondent Manu Raju.

Manu Raju: Thanks Brianna. CNN can project that the state of Kentucky, with its seven electoral votes, will go to Republican Nominee Senator Josh Hawley. Indiana, with its 10 electoral votes, is currently too close to call. We are still waiting on a lot of votes out of the Gary region, Brianna, not to mention the vote rich areas around Indianapolis.

Brianna: Thanks, Manu. Already a troubling sign for Hawley if Indiana is too close to call. Remember in 2040, Former Governor Kleefisch won Indiana almost as soon as polls close, and would end up winning it by nearly twenty points.

Generic pundit: Yeah, it's hard to see how this shapes up, as Indianapolis has seen lots of growth over the past few years. If I were a betting gal, I'd put money on Hawley winning it, but not by the commanding margin Kleefisch won it by.

An hour later

Brianna: It's almost seven o'clock here on the East Coast, which means that polls close in Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, Vermont, and parts of Florida. This is quite a hefty electoral hour. We have footage from VP Porter's party, and as you can see, the mood is very tense. I wouldn't say negative, but tense none-the-less. It's still anyone's game. It seems - Hold on, we are going to Manu with projections.

Manu: Thanks, Brianna. At this moment, CNN is confident in calling Indiana, and it's ten electoral votes, for Senator Hawley.

Manu: And while I got you guys, the polls have just now closed in the remaining states and we are seeing a lot of numbers so far. CNN is confident in calling Georgia, Virginia, and Vermont for Vice President Porter. That's a total of 37 Electoral votes for the Vice President, a big basket to start off what could very well be a long night.

Brianna: Wow, I can imagine a feeling of relief at her party. I remember years ago when Georgia wasn't announced for days, and now we can call it the moment polls close.

Manu: Indeed Brianna, but this is no surprise. Remember, President Ossoff won Georgia 55-43 in his re-election, so his own Vice President winning should not be a shocker. What we can say is that Florida and South Carolina are too close to call. These two states are absolutely key. The president lost Florida in both of his runs, but remember in 2040 how it went for Kleefisch by just twelve-thousand votes. However, Vice President Porter this time around put more resources and campaign time into the  Palmetto State, which has been seeing large growth in tech and white collar jobs in Charleston and Columbia.

Half an hour later

Brianna: It's 7:30 PM here in New York, and we have word from Manu that CNN will be making some projections.

Manu: Yes, Brianna. CNN is calling Ohio, and it's 14 electoral votes, for Senator Hawley. Further south, North Carolina is too close to call. What perhaps is more surprising, is that West Virginia is too close to call. Remember Brianna, this is a state Kleefisch won by only seven points four years ago, much to the shock of the political world. There was some late movement in West Virginia this time around, and viewers at home will remember that just two weeks ago, Vice President Porter became the first Democratic Nominee to campaign in the state since John Kerry, forty years ago.

Brianna: Yes, West Virginia has been certainly in the news for the past few years as something of a success story. It turned around a long population decline and is in fact attracting lots of blue state residents from New York, New Jersey, and Maryland.

Manu: Absolutely, and we will be looking very closely at turnout in Monongalia, Kanawha, Jefferson, and Berkeley counties. These counties have seen the lion's share of growth since the 2020s, as well as the boom in green energy firms.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 02:36:46 PM »

Eight PM

Brianna: And wow, what a lively crowd at Porter's - hold on, we are going back to Manu with some more projections.

Manu: Thanks Brianna. And the crowd at Vice President's party may have something more to cheer on. CNN can project that the VP will win Illinois, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Maryland, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and DC, bringing her electoral lead to 103. However, Senator Hawley has won his home state of Missouri, as well as Tennessee, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Mississippi, and Alabama, bringing him to 59 Electoral Votes.

Brianna: It seems many big states are either too close or too soon to call.

Manu: Yes Brianna, states like Texas and Pennsylvania are only just beginning to count some of their votes, and we are still not ready to make a call in North Carolina, South Carolina, or Florida. Hold on - I am just getting word that CNN will be calling Florida, with its 31 electoral votes, for Senator Josh Hawley.

15 Minutes Later

Manu: It seems like - yes. Yes. CNN has just now called North Carolina, the Tar Heel state, with its 18 electoral votes, for Vice President Porter.

Brianna: This now brings the Vice President to 121 electoral votes, ahead of the Senator's 104.

9 PM - Arkansas, New Hampshire, Maine, and Kansas have been called

Brianna: It's been a few hours since polls have closed on the East Coast, and the race is relatively close. Vice President Porter is only ten electoral votes ahead of Senator Hawley, with Texas, South Carolina, and West Virginia, all once solid Republican states, too close to call. However, Senator Hawley is about eighty thousand votes ahead in Michigan and four thousand ahead in Pennsylvania.

Manu: That's right Brianna, we are still waiting from critical votes in Wayne and Philadelphia counties which can tilt the race either which way in both of those states. With that said, CNN has a number of calls to make for the states that have just closed their polls. CNN can project that Vice President Porter will carry New York and Colorado, elevating her electoral lead to 164 votes. We can alternatively project that Senator Hawley will win North Dakota and Louisiana, bumping his electoral college count to 131. New Mexico, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Iowa are too close to call.

Brianna: It looks like the presence of Democratic voters from California, Washington, and Oregon are finally bearing fruit for the Dems in Wyoming.

Manu: It may be possible Brianna. Remember, President DeSantis won Wyoming by fifty two points in 2032, while Kleefisch won it by just six points four years ago, and a lot has changed since then.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 02:37:16 PM »

9:54 PM

Manu: Exactly and - Hold on. CNN is ready to make some major projections for a number of states. Vice President Porter has won Pennsylvania and Minnesota, CNN can project. Meanwhile, we can project that Senator Hawley has won Wisconsin, Michigan, and Texas, bringing him to 195 Electoral Votes as well as allowing him to lead the Vice President.

Brianna: Not good news if you are the Vice President.

Manu: Not good at all. It seems turnout in the rural parts of all these states have put Hawley over the finish line. I'm also hearing reports from Democratic strategists that turnout in Oakland, Gennesee, and Wayne counties were not good. Our correspondents in Texas also are hearing that Hawley has managed to do very well among suburban residents in counties like Montgomery and Brazoria. However, as a matter of caution, we still have many, many electoral votes still outstanding and it is still anyone's race. Vice President Porter is still narrowly ahead in West Virginia and South Carolina. We are understanding that turnout has, and I quote, been "through the roof" in many urban Charleston and Columbia precincts.

10:15 PM

Brianna Keilar: - Already preparing her victory speech. Hold on - it seems like Manu has some projections for us.

Manu: Thank you Brianna. CNN is ready to project Arizona, New Mexico, and West Virginia for Vice President Porter, giving her the electoral college lead once more with 215 electoral votes to Senator Hawley's 199. Iowa, with its 4 electoral votes, is going to Hawley.

Brianna: I can't imagine the Hawley camp is very happy right now. They have lost West Virginia, once a bastion for GOP support, and are behind in South Carolina, Wyoming, and Montana.

Manu: That's right Brianna, The Democrats are very narrowly ahead in all of those states, and seem to be on the verge of flipping West Virginia's second congressional seat based in Morgantown and the DC suburbs.

10:45 PM

Manu: -in the vote rich Salt Lake County and- Hold on. CNN has just made a projection. Nevada, with its 7 electoral votes, will go to Senator Hawley. South Carolina, with its 10 electoral votes, will go to Vice President Porter.

Brianna: I cannot imagine winning Nevada is a very good consolation to Senator Hawley. He has been locked out of the East Coast and behind in every uncalled state. What is the path forward for him?

Manu: Realistically there isn't one Brianna. Hawley would have to win each remaining state to win, which is just highly unlikely. He is only ahead in Utah and behind in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, states that are effectively down counting and - It seems like CNN is projecting that Senator Hawley will indeed win Utah while Vice President Porter has won the state of Montana. We can also project that Melina Canter has won the race for West Virginia's 2nd congressional district, meaning that the Mountain State will likely have a 2-2 split next congress.

11 PM

Brianna: - turned out to be a poorly received decision considering West Virginia flipped to the Democratic Party, the first time in nearly fifty years. And- it looks like Manu has some critical projections to make.

Manu: That's right Brianna, CNN can project that Vice President Katie Porter has won Washington, Oregon, and California, giving her 283 Electoral Votes and making her the next President of the United States. Alaska and Hawaii residents are still voting, while Idaho and Wyoming are too close to call, but it simply does not impact the race at this point. Katie Porter will be the next President and second female President of the United States.

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 02:38:00 PM »

The final map

Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 03:33:19 PM »

Congratulations Katie.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:11:04 PM »

Why are Montana, Wyoming, and West Virginia non-Atlas blue?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 03:58:51 AM »

Fascinating!

Some of the population shifts are pretty implausible, as much as I’d like to see blue Wyoming and 10-EV Oregon.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 08:03:40 PM »

I like this political realignment
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 11:53:00 PM »

I missed you cookie! Purple heart
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2022, 12:02:35 AM »

Great. Of course I'm replacing Porter with myself, but good work. Smiley
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2022, 12:19:41 AM »

Looks like Prairie populism is (partially) back. Glad to hear that, but it's sad to see Hawley lose, but who knows if I'll even be a Republican in 2044, given that the parties might shift again between now and then. Ten years ago I doubt I would've have seen myself as being conservative-leaning.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2022, 07:30:39 AM »

Ah yes another future political timeline where the coalitions are practically the exact same as today.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 10:49:32 AM »

Ah yes another future political timeline where the coalitions are practically the exact same as today.
It's hard to imagine a future world where American people know how to change their minds
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies