Trains keep getting robbed in Los Angeles
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 03:41:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trains keep getting robbed in Los Angeles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Trains keep getting robbed in Los Angeles  (Read 1623 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2022, 03:14:30 PM »

For the poor and working class, yes. It's a luxury utopia for those with money and influence.

Sounds like a blue State alright.

Sounds like anystate where American capitalism/the Neoliberal ‘consensus has taken root; believing it’s a Blue or Red state issue is hilarious, the American worker gets shafted regardless of party in 21st century America.

That's the genius and the tragedy of modern American capitalism/the Neoliberal consensus (I've seen it called the Beige Dictatorship elsewhere). It perfectly pits Americans against ourselves, while it slithers along in the background, empowered by what each side sees as very real and credible threats.

Here on the left, for all its many, many flaws, the Beige Dictatorship still manages to seem preferable to rule by corrupt, incompetent tyrannical bigoted traitors. Doubtless the right sees it as less of a threat than that posed by the woke, gun-grabbing, communist authoritarians Democrats. That the voters of both sides would (at least in theory) prefer an objectively better government and certain shared policy goals seems to get lost in the furor.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2022, 06:37:12 AM »

For the poor and working class, yes. It's a luxury utopia for those with money and influence.

Sounds like a blue State alright.

As opposed to red states, which are just wastelands for everybody.

And I really should point out that at least states like California, Oregon, New York (all places I've lived) have baseline social safety nets and access to healthcare through expanded medicaid programs, unlike Red states. The difference between being able to access healthcare in Oregon through OHP (Oregon Health Plan) Vs. what I've experienced and the meager resources in Texas is mind-boggling. That any Conservative could actually believe red states are better to live in for the poor or working class and take that from what I said is totally off base.

That being said, Medicaid in California, might be free, but the quality isn't great. Only the most scrupolous doctors accept medicaid here, and they participate in over the top billing, harmful medical interventions, and the patients can't do anything about it, because they don't speak english, and so they get used.

There's plenty of people on Medicaid who are perfectly fluent in English.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2022, 03:49:08 PM »

Talk about lawlessness in L.A. A homeless man violently attacked a nurse who was waiting at a bus stop for a bus. This was without provocation. Jeesus, you can't even wait on the street for an effing bus?

A woman is dead after she was violently attacked while waiting for a bus in downtown last week, according to the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD).

She was a longtime nurse who "worked tirelessly and selflessly" according to her employer. Police ​say they responded Thursday ​around 5:15 a.m. to a call of an assault at a bus stop near Union Station. "Upon arrival, officers discovered that the suspect, later identified as Kerry Bell, had struck the victim in the face, causing her to fall to the ground and sustain a fractured skull," according to LAPD.

Police and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority released photos of the suspect to officers in the area. About 90 minutes later, they found Bell, who is homeless, asleep near the scene, according to police. They say the attack was "without provocation and for no reason." Bell was taken into custody. It is not clear if he has legal representation yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/17/us/los-angeles-nurse-attacked-dies/index.html
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2022, 04:15:19 PM »

Burglary, not robbery. This isn't CNN, no need for sensationalist titles.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »

Secretary Pete will ride in on his white horse and save us.
Klobmentum Mutilated Herself
Phlorescent Leech

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -8.35

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2022, 04:34:24 PM »

Railroad robbery should be legal so long as the robbers do it in the style of a campy black-and-white silent film.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »

Eh, they probably need that stuff more than the people ordering it.

Maybe if we forgave student loans, gave people good health care and built affordable housing, they wouldn't have to rob trains just to survive.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2022, 04:54:49 PM »

Maybe if we forgave student loans, gave people good health care and built affordable housing, they wouldn't have to rob trains just to survive.

They need non-essential home item more than someone with the money to buy it? They are just stealing it to sell at a discount. Such subversion of our economic system warrants a lengthy prison sentence. That's exactly why we have them.

I'm sure these people have student loans...skeptical that many are even of the age to no longer be living with their parents.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2022, 05:16:31 PM »

CNN has obtained an image of the man responsible

RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2022, 06:02:07 PM »

They need non-essential home item more than someone with the money to buy it? They are just stealing it to sell at a discount. Such subversion of our economic system warrants a lengthy prison sentence. That's exactly why we have them.

I'm sure these people have student loans...skeptical that many are even of the age to no longer be living with their parents.
I think he was being sarcastic
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2022, 06:31:59 PM »

I think he was being sarcastic

Whoops, should've picked that up. I expect to read that in so many places but forgot G-Mac's positions on these issues.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 08:14:51 PM »

I believe the railroad has its own law enforcement agency responsible for preventing this kind of thing.

Hard to have much sympathy for people ordering off of Amazon though. They are just as responsible for this nightmare we are making of our world as the people who are robbing those trains. More so, even.

Whether you prefer a shop in person or online, there are plenty of options that do not implicate you in the economic suicide of this country and its working class.

I order off Amazon....

When stores don’t have what you want, what the hell are you supposed to do?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 09:37:34 PM »

Surely this would occur  In no other urban area where delivery trains crawl to a near halt. This is purely a California problem obviously.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2022, 01:46:51 AM »
« Edited: January 18, 2022, 03:10:05 AM by hermit »

Surely this would occur  In no other urban area where delivery trains crawl to a near halt. This is purely a California problem obviously.

The thing about the Los Angeles area is that it's too big. When a city gets too big it's too hard to manage. The traffic is a nightmare. Crime is rampant. Homelessness is out of control. I don't blame our current Governor for not solving all the problems of the state because those problems have been around for a long time. I just stay clear of the L.A. area and count my blessings I live in a smaller town that has smaller problems.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »

there are slow trains in other states (all of 'em probably), if it was happening there it should be pretty easy for you to find.  I don't notice a link to a story, maybe you forgot?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2022, 10:04:05 PM »

Here is video (from yesterday) as they are once again, cleaning-up the massive mess.
It will happen again, unless the railroad company pays for security of the area.

Click here to watch ... https://youtu.be/jPk_hBaQETc
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2022, 10:40:39 PM »

Here is video (from yesterday) as they are once again, cleaning-up the massive mess.
It will happen again, unless the railroad company pays for security of the area.

They need a chain gang for that clean up. And/or pay the homeless to pick it up. The comment said that there was a lot of packages and merchandise found in the tents of the homeless who live next to the tracks. That area looks like a hellhole.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2022, 11:07:23 PM »

They need a chain gang for that clean up. And/or pay the homeless to pick it up. The comment said that there was a lot of packages and merchandise found in the tents of the homeless who live next to the tracks. That area looks like a hellhole.

This is true, but the video that has been posted, seems to indicate that the perpetrator who is doing the opening of the containers/railcars, is not a homeless individual. The local homeless people are picking-up the residual items, that the perpetrator does not take/want.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2022, 09:50:32 PM »

The thing about the Los Angeles area is that it's too big. When a city gets too big it's too hard to manage. The traffic is a nightmare. Crime is rampant. Homelessness is out of control. I don't blame our current Governor for not solving all the problems of the state because those problems have been around for a long time. I just stay clear of the L.A. area and count my blessings I live in a smaller town that has smaller problems.

So it is in fact simply a big city problem rather than a Los Angeles lr (someho California problem?

Incidentally, there are at least 7 American cities with more land Area than Los Angeles
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2022, 09:51:39 PM »

Union Pacific claims that they are arresting offenders by the dozens but that the courts are letting them go.

But even with these expanded resources and closer partnerships with local law enforcement, we
find ourselves coming back to the same results with the Los Angeles County criminal justice
system. Criminals are caught and arrested, turned over to local authorities for booking, arraigned
before the local courts, charges are reduced to a misdemeanor or petty offense, and the criminal
is released after paying a nominal fine. These individuals are generally caught and released back
onto the streets in less than twenty-four hours. Even with all the arrests made, the no-cash bail
policy and extended timeframe for suspects to appear in court is causing re-victimization to UP
by these same criminals. In fact, criminals boast to our officers that charges will be pled down to
simple trespassing – which bears no serious consequence. Without any judicial deterrence or
consequence, it is no surprise that over the past year UP has witnessed the significant increase
in criminal rail theft described above.

Now that us messed up.
Reaganfan Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2022, 10:03:20 PM »

Union Pacific claims that they are arresting offenders by the dozens but that the courts are letting them go.

But even with these expanded resources and closer partnerships with local law enforcement, we
find ourselves coming back to the same results with the Los Angeles County criminal justice
system. Criminals are caught and arrested, turned over to local authorities for booking, arraigned
before the local courts, charges are reduced to a misdemeanor or petty offense, and the criminal
is released after paying a nominal fine. These individuals are generally caught and released back
onto the streets in less than twenty-four hours. Even with all the arrests made, the no-cash bail
policy and extended timeframe for suspects to appear in court is causing re-victimization to UP
by these same criminals. In fact, criminals boast to our officers that charges will be pled down to
simple trespassing – which bears no serious consequence. Without any judicial deterrence or
consequence, it is no surprise that over the past year UP has witnessed the significant increase
in criminal rail theft described above.

Now that us messed up.

See my original reply to the thread.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2022, 02:23:26 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2022, 02:29:02 PM by Senator CentristRepublican »

You and the 17 who recommended this post are very mistaken. Fixed:

Southern California is a lawless wasteland.

(And I can talk trash about other states too. SoCal might be bad but it's still tons better than KY. For starters CA - including SoCal - has actual cities, not the tiny communities called cities in KY. Your biggest city has, what, 700,000 people in it? How many cities in KY have over 200,000? Two? Three? We have over 20. So maybe we have more crime because we have a population that's like 9 times the size of KY's. KY itself has enough crime of its own - the rural backwoods are filled with crime and crack addicts - people I'd call rednecks if I was being impolite, but since I'm not, I won't - who are obsessed with guns and God, uneducated people. We don't have that, at least, in CA, so think about that the next time you try to insult us. Literally the only good things KY has given us in over 230 years have been Henry Clay and KFC.
And that was just for Santander - if any of the people who recommended that post of his want me to trash their state as well, I'd be more than happy to.)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »

(And I can talk trash about other states too. SoCal might be bad but it's still tons better than KY. For starters CA - including SoCal - has actual cities, not the tiny communities called cities in KY. Your biggest city has, what, 700,000 people in it? How many cities in KY have over 200,000? Two? Three? We have over 20. So maybe we have more crime because we have a population that's like 9 times the size of KY's. KY itself has enough crime of its own - the rural backwoods are filled with crime and crack addicts - people I'd call rednecks if I was being impolite, but since I'm not, I won't - who are obsessed with guns and God, uneducated people. We don't have that, at least, in CA, so think about that the next time you try to insult us. Literally the only good things KY has given us in over 230 years have been Henry Clay and KFC.
And that was just for Santander - if any of the people who recommended that post of his want me to trash their state as well, I'd be more than happy to.)
violent crime in CA is far more common, per capita, than KY.  It's not close.  Yes, depending on what is important to people, CA is a far better place to be than KY.  But factually, and for everyone, CA is a more dangerous place to be than KY.  And again, it is not close.

and there are parts of CA where God and guns are obsessed over.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2022, 02:50:19 PM »

violent crime in CA is far more common, per capita, than KY.  It's not close.  Yes, depending on what is important to people, CA is a far better place to be than KY.  But factually, and for everyone, CA is a more dangerous place to be than KY.  And again, it is not close.

and there are parts of CA where God and guns are obsessed over.

Far less than in KY, and of course they are. No state is perfect and we are massive - there's bound to be places like that even in CA.

And as I said, one of the reasons CA has more violent crime is because of how urban it is compared to KY. There are enough nice suburbs in CA with less crime, that are still nice places to be in (you might get low-crime suburbs in KY, but it's unlikely they are nice places to be in, quite honestly).
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2022, 06:38:28 PM »

California has its faults as all states do. But for me, I am politically aligned with the state. I feel like I belong here. I've learned to live with all the trash talking people do about California, including the people who live in Oregon who call us Californicators.

Whatever. California has it all. If you don't like dealing with crime and gridlock and serious homeless populations, there are plenty of places to live here where you can pretty much find your paradise.

There are states where I would never consider living: TX, KY, ID, WY, FL, IA, NB...these are some of them. California has the most variety of country and in my view some of the most beautiful places, including beautiful beaches. I'm glad I live here, and I am also glad I don't live in Los Angeles. Plus, their mayor is annoying as hell.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies