After RBG’s death, Moore v Harper might kill American Democracy forever (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:13:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  After RBG’s death, Moore v Harper might kill American Democracy forever (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Yes, it has a decent chance to survive

No, it’s doomed forever because of SCOTUS

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: After RBG’s death, Moore v Harper might kill American Democracy forever  (Read 8559 times)
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« on: January 13, 2022, 08:34:27 PM »
« edited: December 06, 2022, 02:32:24 PM by Everybody loves somebody to hate »

I reworded my question. Does it have a decent chance of surviving, or is my country doomed forever to permanent GOP House/Senate/presidency/eventual 9-0 majority SCOTUS forever? I hope there won’t be VRA rulings that make Brnovich v. DNC look like child’s play. I can only hope Reynolds v. Sims/Wesberry v. Sanders don’t get overturned.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 08:45:55 PM »

Trust me, Brnovich is going to look like child's play in comparison to what's coming.
You think Reynolds v. Sims/Wesberry v. Sanders get overturned? Maybe some 5-4 decisions with John Roberts in dissent?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 03:52:56 PM »

You believe Reynolds v. Sims/Wesberry v.Sanders survive?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »

Once again, ERM64man is giving us another wonderful display of "the sky will fall." It's very similar to the lyrics of that song they kept singing over and over again on Hee-Haw: "Gloom, despair, and agony on me. Deep, dark depression, excessive misery. ..." and so on. All (or mostly) because there is a possibility that the Supreme Court will overturn Wesberry v. Sanders and Reynolds v. Sims. If those decisions are overturned, then the United States democracy will be destroyed, according to ERM. Obviously, there had been no democracy before 1964. Democracy must have been truly non-existent in the United States for 175 years before those two decisions (I infer from ERM’s theory that Wesberry and Reynolds are the only things that ensure we have a democracy).
Democracy was definitely nonexistent in the South at the time. Some states in the South had an at-large district as well as smaller districts. Extremists have also taken over non-Southern states like Wisconsin and Ohio since then.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 01:57:02 PM »

Polarization and more extreme gerrymandering would kill democracy in a malapportioned legislature today. California and Vermont were malapportioned at one time, but polarization wasn’t as strong.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 12:54:17 PM »

This indicates a 7R-0D Alabama map would be allowed by SCOTUS. Also imagine 9-0 maps of TN/IN and an 8-0 map of MO. GA would lose its rural Democratic district. Imagine the TXGOP cracking El Paso. Imagine Ohio drawing a 15-0 map. Imagine Florida cracking Orlando. Don’t forget a 4-0 map of Mississippi.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »

I'm not saying that basing district sizes on the number of eligible voters rather than total population probably is a good idea, but how in the world would it be overturning "one person, one vote"?  Wouldn't it actually be moving closer to "one person, one vote", since you'd move closer to equalizing the number of voters in each district?

Basing districts on eligible voter population doesn’t overturn one person one vote. The point is that the ones who push for that would later want to completely kill one person one vote and allow any extreme malapportionment. I believe this SCOTUS would do that. Also, an unrelated voting rights case could allow Alabama to draw a 7R-0D map.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 05:34:18 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2022, 05:37:30 PM by ERM64man »

Duke losing at home to Mississippi Valley State in college basketball is more likely than US Democracy surviving the current SCOTUS.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 06:02:03 PM »

The DOJ’s position is meaningless. The outcome of this SCOTUS is as certain as the outcome of tomorrow’s college basketball game of Pacific @ USC.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 06:45:14 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2022, 07:50:07 PM by ERM64man »

This SCOTUS decision on AL which was 5/4 shows that just because Voting Rights passes with the exception of preclearance with Judicial Review this 5/4 Crt can still strike down bans on Gerrymandering and Band on Soft money so all this complaining about Sinema not lifting Sinema, as I always said is subject to Judicial Review only Amendments and changing the number of Judges aren't subject to Judicial Review, but there is no case pending on Voting Rights ajyways
There is a case pending. Cert was granted. US democracy will be gone forever and never come back. Eat Arby’s.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 01:11:00 AM »

I really hope US democracy survives this SCOTUS.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 04:51:48 PM »

Aren't the only options pack SCOTUS or lose US democracy forever and never get it back?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 09:19:37 PM »

I really hope US democracy survives this SCOTUS.
lol
If American democracy dies, it won't die because of the Supreme Court.
What? If it dies, it will almost certainly be because of SCOTUS. Destroying the VRA even more than it has so far and possibly overturning Reynolds v. Sims/Wesberry v. Sanders and letting state legislatures and officials overturn elections.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 08:08:57 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2022, 08:23:43 PM by ERM64man »

Is there a good chance Democrats won’t be locked out of power forever due to SCOTUS rulings?

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »

If SCOTUS goes completely crazy, will anyone eventually do something about it?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2022, 07:39:07 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2022, 08:13:42 PM by ERM64man »

If Democrats eventually do get to ride a backlash into power (or are able to survive until the Republican Party drops the ball some other way), they can always either 1) devolve certain things to the Circuit Courts or 2) ignore their rulings.

Democrats will inevitably return to power. Thing is that simply ignoring rulings once they get there sets a very poor precedent that will come back to bite everyone.
I don’t believe Democrats will ever return to power because SCOTUS will lock them out forever. Gonzaga losing at home to Nebraska in men’s college is more likely than US democracy surviving this SCOTUS. An SCOTUS that actually makes John Roberts look like a great voting rights advocate. This SCOTUS could even overturn a presidential election.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »

If Democrats eventually do get to ride a backlash into power (or are able to survive until the Republican Party drops the ball some other way), they can always either 1) devolve certain things to the Circuit Courts or 2) ignore their rulings.

Democrats will inevitably return to power. Thing is that simply ignoring rulings once they get there sets a very poor precedent that will come back to bite everyone.
I don’t believe Democrats will ever return to power because SCOTUS will lock them out forever. Gonzaga losing at home to Nebraska in men’s college is more likely than US democracy surviving this SCOTUS. This is a SCOTUS that actually makes John Roberts look like a great voting rights advocate. This SCOTUS could even overturn a presidential election.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2022, 09:38:43 AM »

If SCOTUS is too hostile to the power of Congress, I don’t see how democracy survives this. Eat Arby’s.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2022, 04:11:21 PM »

and we wouldn't want a supreme court that ignores its own precedent, right?

That is what Brown v. Board of Education did and none of us would complain about that. The judiciary and executive branches have different roles to fulfill and are not governed by the same rules.

So there you have it. That's the one thing you do when then the court is illegitimate. You treat it like its illegitimate.
Even if it gets treated as illegitimate, it still has all the power if it makes every crappy voting rights decision possible and democracy still dies and never comes back due to Supreme Court rulings. Eat Arby’s.

I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2022, 06:25:06 PM »

Will anything ever be done if SCOTUS goes too far?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2022, 05:02:20 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2022, 05:06:45 PM by ERM64man »

It looks like John Roberts ends up in dissent here. Possibly no more Section 2 at all and no state commissions or courts can do anything. Such a decision and more will kill US democracy. I hope US democracy survives SCOTUS.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2022, 08:14:22 PM »

I just hope that the country, democracy, and civil rights will recover from what SCOTUS does after Ginsburg died. What are the odds of that?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2022, 01:25:49 PM »

I liken this decades long court battle to effectively two high school/college age girls having a catfight and it never getting resolved. In fact that's how politics has been in this country since maybe the 90s. In the past you would have conflict that would get really nasty - but it would be over quicker.

If the left was to go full spanish republican to the conservative legal movement - is it possible that at that point someone would come in and say "ok we're even" and both sides would come to some sort of agreement. God help us if we're still having these same sort of arguments in the 2040s.

At this rate, the agenda to should be to get the conservative judiciary painted as a fraud on the nation.
What good would that do if SCOTUS eviscerates the VRA more, overturns Reynolds v. Sims/Wesberry v. Sanders, and implements the independent state legislature law?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2022, 06:30:56 PM »

Is there a decent chance Democrats won’t be locked out of power forever due to SCOTUS rulings?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 12:36:30 PM »

I think US democracy is doomed.

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies