Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:46:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay)  (Read 4986 times)
Kuumo

P P
« on: January 13, 2022, 10:00:40 PM »

DHS Secretary Tom Ridge's statement on the passing of President Bush

Today, I mourn the passing of a friend, colleague, and leader. When our nation was attacked on 9/11, President Bush helped unite us as one people and direct us out of the crisis. We are thankfully much safer now than on that fateful day thanks to his leadership. Michele and I send out our thoughts and prayers to the Bush family in this difficult time.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2022, 01:57:12 AM »

Tom Ridge Campaign Schedule
June 2003 - July 2003

June 7th: Attend the funeral of President Bush.
June 9th-13th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
June 14th: Meet with Pennsylvania state GOP leaders in Harrisburg, PA.
June 16th-20th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
June 21st: Meet with former Reagan and Bush Sr. administration State Department and Department of Defense officials in Arlington, VA.
June 23rd-26th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
June 26th: Fly into Erie, PA.
June 27th: Formally announce Presidential campaign at event in Erie, PA.

Quote from: Tom Ridge, Erie, June 27th, 2003
Hello, everyone! Those of you here will remember me as your governor and folks elsewhere may know me better as the head of Homeland Security, but I stand here today for a different purpose. Our nation faces a lot of challenges today, from education and infrastructure to the global threat of terrorism. But, tragically, the President who led us through the darkest moments of the past two years is no longer with us. In uncertain times, we need leaders who are strong but measured, leaders who can act decisively without rashness, leaders who know how to work together to tackle the tough issues. That's why I'm stepping up to run for President of the United States. To be honest with you, it was never my original intention to run. I'm not one of those people who spend their whole lives angling to be leader of the free world. In an ideal world, I would still be practicing law here in Erie. But when I see problems in my community, I cannot simply stand idly by. From enlisting in the Army, to running for governor, to helping establish the DHS, I have stood up to serve even when times looked tough. So after weeks of deliberation, I chose once again to step up to the call of duty. I hope you will join me in promoting freedom and prosperity both at home and abroad. Thank you!

June 28th: Fly into Manchester, NH.
June 29th: Meet with New Hampshire state GOP leaders in Concord, NH; fly back to Washington.
June 30th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.

July 1st: Meet with Senator John Sununu in Washington.
July 1st-3rd: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
July 4th: Celebrate Independence Day in Washington.
July 5th: Fly into Manchester, NH.
July 6th: Town hall in Manchester.
July 7th: Town hall in Nashua.
July 8th: Fly back to Washington; meet with campaign advisors to discuss organization and strategy.
July 9th-11th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
July 12th: Fundraiser in Alexandria, VA.
July 14th-17th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
July 18th: Meet with Senator Arlen Specter in Washington, emphasizing common ground as pro-choice Republicans as well as similar career backgrounds.
July 19th-20th: Stay home for the weekend.
July 21th-24th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
July 25th: Town hall in Richmond, VA; meet with Virginia state GOP leaders.
July 26th: Meet with Senator John Warner in Alexandria, VA; fly into Manchester, NH.
July 27th: Oversee opening of first campaign field office in Nashua, NH.
July 28th: Meet with the Greater Nashua Chamber of Commerce; fly back to Washington.
July 29th-31st: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 02:32:56 AM »

August 2003

August 1st: Foreign policy town hall in Annapolis, MD.
August 2nd: Fundraiser in Great Falls, VA.
August 4th-8th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
August 9th: Fly into Manchester, NH; town hall in downtown Manchester.
August 10th: Town hall in Dover, NH; return to Washington.
August 11th-15th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
August 16th: Meet with campaign advisors at campaign headquarters in Arlington, VA.
August 18th-21st: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
August 22nd: Fly into Grand Rapids, MI.
August 23rd: Town hall in Grand Rapids.
August 24th: Give speech at event hosted by the Michigan State University College Republicans in East Lansing.
August 25th: Meet with Arab-American leaders in Dearborn, MI; visit Ford Motor Company headquarters.
August 26th: Return to Washington.
August 26th-28th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
August 29th: Town hall in Wilmington, DE.
August 30th: Meet with Representative Mike Castle in Wilmington.
August 31st: Fundraiser in Philadelphia.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 05:41:05 AM »

Tom Ridge Debate Answers

1. An Opening Statement

Thanks, Chris. I’d like to start by thanking MSNBC and the Reagan Presidential Library for hosting us tonight. We stand at an important juncture in our nation’s future. As we mourn a national tragedy, we face uncertainties from the situation in Iraq, to the functioning of our economy, to who we are as a people. But I’m confident that we can meet these challenges as President Reagan did when we were saddled with stagflation at home and a hostage crisis overseas. We must strive to uphold his legacy by electing a leader prepared to take on these issues.

2. Gentlemen. It has been a scary three years for most Americans. Terrorists attacked us on 9/11, shocking the nation and leading us into a global war on terrorism. Only a few months ago, the President of the United States suddenly died. Americans want to know more than anything, how will you keep them safe, and what makes you the candidate best prepared to do so?

Two years ago, our nation faced the most serious attack on our soil since Pearl Harbor. It’s been a tumultuous time. The consequences of this election are hard to overstate. The country of Iraq remains unstable and continues to harbor terrorist groups that threaten the whole world. A wrong turn could jeopardize the safety of us all. In my career, from my service in Vietnam, to my tenure as governor, to my current job leading our new Department of Homeland Security, I have always put the safety of my fellow citizens first. We’ve made a lot of progress in combatting these threats at the DHS through greater coordination between federal and local agencies, but we must remain vigilant both inside and outside our borders. As President, I would continue my work in keeping our country safe.

3. We have around 150,000 soldiers stationed in Iraq. Combat with Ba'athist forces is ending, but an insurgency is developing, especially in the Sunni Triangle, where groups like Jamaat Ansar al-Sunna are thriving. What will you do to bring the situation in Iraq under control, and establish a functioning democracy? When can we expect our soldiers to return home if you are President?

We need to send in more reinforcements and supplies to the Coalition Provisional Authority so we can safely repel the insurgents. As a first step, I urge Congress to approve the additional military funding proposed by President Cheney. We need to stay in Iraq until a stable government is established there that can defend itself against any future attacks. I want to bring home the troops as much as anyone, but it would be irresponsible to withdraw them without an independent, functioning government in Baghdad.

4. Do you believe in the theory of evolution?

I believe that the findings of modern science have shown that the organisms we know today have evolved over millions of years from previous species. I do not see a conflict between accepting this and my religious faith. I believe that God is responsible for the existence of the universe and continues to influence it and define our place in it today.

5. The overwhelming majority of Republicans support restrictions on abortion. Both of you support abortion rights and oppose overturning Roe vs. Wade. Governor Ridge was just endorsed by many pro-choice Republican groups. How can you unite Republicans if you disagree on this pertinent issue?

As Republicans, we have to appeal to the interests of a lot of different factions. Even on this very stage, my colleagues and I run the gamut from neoconservatives to Christian conservatives to a libertarian. Sometimes we need the support of people we may not agree with on every issue but still share a common vision with us. With the situation today, we are currently in one of those moments. We will need the support of some voters who don’t agree with every plank of the Republican platform to keep our country on track. I am certainly well aware that my position on the abortion issue is not a popular one on the right. In light of this, if I am the nominee, I will choose a running mate committed to the pro-life cause to unite our party. I feel confident that we can come together based on our common values, most of all in a time of great peril such as today.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 01:44:20 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2022, 02:35:17 PM by Senator Kuumo »

September 2003 - October 2003

September 1st: Participate in Republican primary debate.
September 2nd: Return to Washington.
September 3rd-4th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
September 5th: Fly into Manchester, NH; meet with the New Hampshire Union Leader editorial board.
September 6th: Town hall in Laconia, NH.

Quote from: Tom Ridge, Laconia, September 6th, 2003
I cannot in good conscience support the Marriage Defense Amendment proposed by Congressman DeMint and Governor Huckabee. It is my sincere belief that marriage is between one man and one woman, and I would vote to keep it that way in my state, but this is clearly an issue for the people in each state to decide.

September 7th: Town hall in Rochester, NH; return to Washington.
September 8th-9th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
September 10th: Fly into New York City.
September 11th: Give address at 9/11 memorial ceremony at Ground Zero.

Quote from: Tom Ridge, New York City, September 11th, 2003
Two years ago today, people who want to destroy all that we stand for attacked us on our own soil. They sought to break our national spirit and scare us into submission. But we did not give in to fear. This tragedy has only made us stronger by reminding us of the values that unite us. I have faith that the century that began in fiery chaos will end with our flag flying high and the scourge of terrorism long defeated.

September 12th: Meet with Orthodox Jewish leaders in New York.
September 13th: Town hall on Staten Island; return to Washington.
September 15th-19th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
September 20th: Meet with Representative Frank Wolf in Falls Church, VA.
September 22nd-26th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
September 27th: Town hall in Virginia Beach, VA.
September 28th: Meet with Representative Charles Bass in Washington.
September 29th-30th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.

October 1st: Meet with campaign advisors at campaign headquarters.
October 2nd: Fly into Manchester, NH.
October 3rd: Barnstorm Manchester, NH.
October 4th: Barnstorm Nashua, NH.
October 5th: Meet with Senator Judd Gregg in Portsmouth, NH.
October 6th: Return to Washington.
October 7th-10th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
October 11th: Fundraiser in Washington.
October 12th: Fly into El Paso, TX, to meet with Border Patrol as part of Homeland Security duties.
October 13th: Attend to duties in El Paso.
October 14th: Fly into San Diego, CA, to meet with Border Patrol.
October 15th: Attend to duties in San Diego.
October 16th: Return to Washington; attend to Department duties.
October 17th: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
October 19th: Fly into St. Louis, MO.
October 20th: Town hall in Florissant, MO; drive to Kansas City area.
October 21th: Town hall in Independence, MO; fly back to Washington.
October 22nd-23rd: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
October 24th: Meet with Representative Jeb Bradley in Washington.
October 27th-31st: Attend to Department of Homeland Security duties.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies