Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:30:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay)  (Read 4981 times)
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« on: January 18, 2022, 04:46:54 PM »

Carol Moseley Braun Preliminary Campaign and June Schedule

Former Senator Carol Moseley Braun announced her exploratory committee for POTUS early, in February 2003, hoping to up her name recognition in the early states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina. She spent the spring visiting these states and garnering the endorsement of Rev. Al Sharpton due to their shared liberal positions on civil rights, healthcare, and education.

Statement on the passing of President Bush: “President Bush and I disagreed on plenty of issues, but I join the nation in mourning for the loss of our President. Today isn’t about politics, it’s about coming together and realizing at the end of the day that we are all Americans. I send my deepest condolences to Laura, Barbara, and Jenna.”

Platform:

Healthcare:

Universal Healthcare: Every American has the right to healthcare coverage and it is a disgrace that any American has to go broke to afford their care. The best way to achieve this is through mandating all Americans get health insurance with Medicare being accessible as a choice for everyone regardless of age. This healthcare system will save American families money while ensuring everyone has access to healthcare. Over time it is worth evaluating a single-payer plan.

Economy and Taxes:

End the Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy: Republican politicians pretend to care about the deficit while cutting taxes for the highest income brackets. That’s why it is imperative that the Bush tax cuts are repealed for the wealthy. Most Americans won’t see a tax increase, but it’s time we get serious about reducing the deficit by asking the wealthy to pay their fair share.

Foreign Policy:

End the War in Iraq: Carol Moseley Braun has been opposed to the US policy in Iraq. The US has acted alone instead of collaboratively with the UN. The US needs to lead the transition to the sovereignty of Iraqi leaders and allow the UN to oversee the transfer of power.

War in Afghanistan: The US needs to learn from the mistakes made in Iraq and form strong relationships with fellow UN nations to ensure stability in the region.

Education:

Universal Pre-K: Ensure every American can send their children to pre-school, funded directly by the federal government.

College-for-All: No bank should be getting rich off of student debt. The US government should provide the first two years of college for free, and completely rethink the way loans are distributed. Instead of subsidizing loans, the Department of Education should be in charge of administering all loans to students. This will make sure that students attending college takes precedent over making money off of their loans.

June 1-6th: Washington DC

Carol Moseley Braun will spend her time meeting with EMILY’s List President and founder Ellen Malcolm in order to secure the group’s support and fundraising network. Moseley Braun will highlight her status as the only pro-choice woman in the Presidential race during the meeting.

June 7th: Washington DC

Attend funeral of George W Bush

June 8-12th: Iowa

Fly to Des Moines
Rally in Des Moines
Rally in Ames
Rally in Cedar Rapids
Rally in Iowa City
Rally in Davenport
Visit Iowa HQ in Davenport, meet with staff and volunteers

June 13-14th: Wisconsin

While the visit to Wisconsin is a campaign visit due to a rally in Milwaukee, Moseley Braun also visited with Senator Russ Feingold to discuss a coordinated opposition to the War in Iraq alongside progressive policies.

June 15th: Illinois

Spend day at home in Chicago

June 16-20th: New Hampshire

Fly to Manchester
Rally in Manchester
Set up first campaign office in New Hampshire in Manchester
Rally in Concord
Town hall tour of New Hampshire small towns
Excerpts of questions from town halls:

“I am worried about the direction of abortion laws in this country, even with Roe it seems like many Democrats are willing to compromise on being pro-choice. What’s your position on abortion as a Democratic candidate?”

“I believe abortion is an issue between a woman and her doctor, so yes I am pro-choice. I am opposed to any federal legislation that would restrict this very personal choice any further. Instead I believe we need to keep abortion safe, legal, and rare by investing in sex education, by making sure the public healthcare option covers contraceptives, and by safeguarding Roe as decided precedent.”

“Your website mentions government run healthcare, but my family likes our current health insurance. What do you say to people like me who are skeptical of government run healthcare?”

“The public option in my healthcare plan is that, an option. Medicare is run cheaply, effectively, and popularly, enough that I am confident that when we expand its access to everyone that people will see the benefit of switching over to the public option. Private insurance companies exist to make money, this program exists to give Americans quality health insurance that works for them without making anyone go broke.”

June 21-25th: South Carolina

Fly to Columbia
Rally in Columbia
Open South Carolina campaign HQ in Columbia
Town halls in Sumter, Camden, and Hartsville
Rally in Florence
Town halls en route to Charleston
Rally in Charleston

June 26-30th: Iowa

The campaign believes a big showing in Iowa is possible given its proximity to Moseley Braun’s home state of Illinois and its penchant for more outsider candidates. As such a second visit in June was completed by the candidate, this time a town hall tour of the Western portion of the state with headlining events in Dubuque and Davenport.

Excerpt from town halls:

“What do you say to Democratic politicians and the media who doubt your ability to win the primary?”
“I have been counted out by the establishment before. When I served in the state house and I went up against my own party’s establishment because they drew districts that diluted the power of Black and Latino voters, I was told I had no chance. But we won. When I challenged an incumbent Democrat who voted to appoint Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court I was told I had no chance, but again we won. When Senator Mikulski and I decided to go against sexist and archaic rules that said we couldn’t wear pants on the Senate floor we were told to accept our seat at the table without question. But we changed things. And when people told me that there was no way I could challenge the Daughters of the Confederacy in using the Confederate flag, that Jesse Helms had too much sway, too much power for a freshman Senator to take on, I did it because it was right. Once again, we won. I won’t let the fear of failure keep me from making the bold decisions to do what’s right, and I know many of you agree with me and will join this fight.”
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 10:11:21 PM »

Carol Moseley Braun July Schedule

Source

July 1-3rd: Florida

Fly to Miami
Meet with Senator Bob Graham in Miami to discuss education policy and ending the War in Iraq
Fundraiser in Miami
Townhalls in Florida public schools between Miami and Orlando
Rally in Orlando

"We have to ask the wealthy to pay their fair share. The tax cuts that have been passed over the last year have just served to make the tax system even more skewed to the wealthy, with the highest earners getting the biggest tax cuts. I am proposing that if Republicans take deficit reduction seriously as many Democratic leaders do, then they'll sign on to rescinding these cuts for the wealthiest tax brackets."

July 4-5th: Illinois

Attend 4th of July festivities in Chicago
Formal campaign announcement with Al Sharpton in Chicago

"When I announced my exploratory committee back in February, I knew this would be an uphill battle. But I have never backed down from a fight. The American people are in need of a President who can unify us, who can stand up for what we believe in, who is beholden to them not politics as usual. We need someone who can stand up and transition us out of this mess in Iraq, work with our allies abroad to create solutions, all while balancing things at home. This means expanding education and healthcare, getting the deficit under control, and ensuring every single American has a chance to succeed. That's why right here, in my home town, I am officially launching my campaign for President of the United States!"

July 6-13th: Iowa

Town hall tour in Iowa, this tour focuses on college towns, pro-union areas, and the Eastern part of the state that borders Moseley Braun's home state of Illinois. On the tour Moseley Braun notes her education and healthcare plans while highlighting her opposition to Iraq. The final stop of the tour concludes with a rally in Des Moines

July 14-17th: Missouri

Being a neighboring Midwestern state, Carol Moseley Braun's campaign believes the candidate can make a splash there if she ups her name recognition. Following a longer townhall tour in Iowa, the campaign will travel from Kansas City to St. Louis. Moseley Braun highlights her leadership on standing up to racism and sexism in her time in public office, challenging Democratic leadership in her first run for Senate, and her ability to make positive change.

July 18-21st: New Hampshire

Fly to Manchester
The campaign focuses on the cities of Manchester, Nashua, and Concord, banking on liberal and anti-establishment support there being higher than elsewhere in the state. In New Hampshire, Moseley Braun highlights her support for universal healthcare and opposition to the war in Iraq. While in Manchester, Moseley Braun holds a forum where she focuses on her support of an education plan that directly loans to students rather than subsidizing lenders.

July 22-23rd: Wisconsin

Fly to Madison
Excerpt from rally in Madison

“I understand why so many politicians voted to authorize the PATRIOT Act, but it’s become abundantly clear it is a violation of individual rights. American citizens deserve to know that they are not having their civil liberties infringed upon. The truth is, much like the Iraq war, the PATRIOT Act isn’t keeping us any safer. I commit to ending it as your President and to take your rights seriously.”

Both the statement from the rally and the visit are a part of a continued effort to court the endorsement of Senator Feingold. In fact, Carol Moseley Braun meets with the Senator again to speak about her healthcare plan and how to whip the votes it would require in the Senate.

July 24-25th: Iowa

The campaign crosses over into Dubuque, holding an event with organizers and staffers there to keep morale up. Moseley Braun continues her town hall tour with events in Waterloo, Cedar Rapids, and Des Moines. In Des Moines Moseley Braun speaks about the importance on the right to unionize when it comes to wages and fair workplaces.

July 26-27th: Arizona

The Moseley Braun campaign makes its first stop in the early voting state of Arizona by flying into Phoenix. While not yet setting up a campaign office there just yet, Moseley Braun holds a rally about the need to focus on the economy while balancing foreign policy. While in Phoenix, she meets with both Representative Ed Pastor and Representative Raúl Grijalva, speaking to them both about their shared liberal values and policy preferences. Once again, the campaign hopes to consolidate the anti-war segment of the Democratic electorate with this move.

July 27-28th: Illinois

Carol Moseley Braun heads back to Chicago for a quiet few days after campaigning vigorously for two months. The only official event this period is a fundraiser in Chicago.

July 29-31st: Iowa

To round out the month, Moseley Braun takes the campaign back through Iowa, this time focusing more on the Western portion of the state. The candidate holds headlining events in Sioux City, Fort Dodge and the Iowa side of the Omaha suburbs, highlighting the need to more closely evaluate trade deals to account for lost jobs and the environmental impact.
Mycool

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 05:01:00 PM »

Carol Moseley Braun August Schedule

Source

August features Carol Moseley Braun's first ad of the cycle, titled "Taking a Stand." The ad shows clips of Moseley Braun's suit against Illinois for reapportionment, her run against Senator Alan Dixon, and newspaper headlines for her stand against renewing the Daughters of the Confederacy patent due to the feature of the Confederate flag. This ad runs in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Missouri, New Mexico, and Arizona. The ad is set to target liberal and anti-establishment voters.

August 1-3rd: Delaware

The Moseley Braun campaign visits Delaware, hoping to make an impact in a small state that is opposed to the war in Iraq. Moseley Braun holds rallies in Wilmington, Dover, and Rehoboth Beach. The campaign's theme for this visit is opposition to Iraq, repealing the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy, and the need to stand up to the establishment in Washington.

August 4-5th: Washington DC

The campaign visits Washington DC again to hold an event with EMILY's List. Moseley Braun is confident that the group's endorsement will allow for beefing up early state infrastructure ahead of the debates. While in DC the candidate meets with Ellen Malcolm and holds a fundraiser with Democratic women, focusing on removing the "men only" sign from the White House.

August 6th: Maryland

While in the DC area, Moseley Braun visits "Senator Barb," Barbara Mikulski, in Baltimore. The two had served together in the Senate and led the charge allowing women to wear pants on the Senate floor. Moseley Braun's campaign hopes the working relationship, shared liberal politics, and opposition to the Iraq War will lead to an endorsement.

August 7-12th: South Carolina

Moseley Braun's campaign visits South Carolina, holding a five-day town hall tour of the state, culminating in a rally with Al Sharpton in Columbia. The tour focuses on introducing Moseley Braun to voters in South Carolina, highlighting her suit against Illinois for reapportionment, her education policy that will allow more people to go to college, and her ability to stand up to archaic rules like the one that prohibited women from wearing pants on the Senate floor.

Excerpt from town hall:

"In 2000, Democrats seemed to collapse in the South, which voted for Bill Clinton twice. How do you plan on improving on Al Gore's numbers and winning the presidency?"

"Had 500 votes in Florida gone the other way, Al Gore would be President. Had 7500 votes gone the other way in New Hampshire, Al Gore would be President. This is a divided nation, and this race, just like 2000, is going to be decided by these small margins in select states. My campaign is focused on engaging with voters that have been left behind by our current politics. Democrats win when we engage with kitchen table issues that impact families regardless of where they're from, what race they are, and their level of education. It's why my campaign is focused on healthcare, education, and making the wealthy pay their fair share. It's time we go back to the basics and fight for the American family, that's how we win."

August 13-16th: New Hampshire

The campaign heads to New Hampshire where Moseley Braun embarks on another town hall tour of the state, hoping to connect with the state's anti-establishment and liberal voters in the Democratic primary.

August 17-20th: Illinois

Rest at home in Chicago.

August 21-27th: Iowa

Coming off of a stretch of town hall tours to increase name recognition, Moseley Braun visits Iowa for a series of rallies across the state. Rallies in Dubuque, Davenport, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Des Moines, Fort Dodge, and Sioux City are headlined by the candidate. Her focus this week is drawing out potential caucus-goers by pitching her plan to achieve universal healthcare, education expansion, and a more diplomatic foreign policy. Moseley Braun also opens campaign offices in Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, as well as staffing up in Iowa.

August 28-30th: New Mexico

The campaign makes its first visit to New Mexico at the end of August. Moseley Braun holds a town hall tour from Sante Fe to Las Cruces, highlighting her support of college for everyone and a focus on domestic issues. On the trail, the candidate blasts the policy of tax cuts for the wealthy, saying that they only serve to worsen the deficit and income inequality on the backs of middle class and poor Americans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies