Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Gameplay)  (Read 5013 times)
Brother Jonathan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2022, 07:41:27 PM »

Senator McCain's September and October Schedules

McCain25April2007Portsmouth
Credit line shall read: "Photo by: River Bissonnette".  Courtesy email to riverbissonnette@yahoo.com requested, but not required, for reuse., Attribution, via Wikimedia Commons

September 1st- Fly to South Carolina with Senator Graham, rally in Charleston

Sen. Graham: In times like these, there is no one I trust more than John. We’ve been together through thick and thin. He’s my best friend in Washington, but more than that he is the conscience of the town. It’s easy to get lost up there in Washington, but John has never stopped fighting the good fight. In times like these, we need leaders like John McCain, men of character and conviction. I’m proud to support my friend for President.
September 2nd- Town hall in Charleston

Q: Senator McCain, will you support the Marriage Amendment now being proposed?

A: I firmly believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman, and I have advocated for that at the state level for years, but I have always maintained that this is not a place for the federal government. My friends, we can’t talk about the need for small government when at the same time trying to expand federal power into fields which it has never before exercised its authority. This amendment simply goes too far.

September 3rd- Tour of Columbia with Senator Graham

September 4th- Return to Washington DC for Senate duties

September 5th-7th- Senate duties

September 8th- Talk by phone with the Union Leader editorial board in New Hampshire

September 9th-10th- Senate duties

September 11th- Speech at memorial service commemorating the attacks of September 11th

“For my father’s generation, it was Pearl Harbor that cut a deep scar across their memory. They all, for the rest of their lives, will recall the horror, the heroism, the contrasts of that day, where the best and worst of humanity were on display, where the world was reminded of the unbreakable spirit of the American people. I have no doubt that the attacks of September 11th shall in the same waymark all of us. While we can never replace those who were lost, while we shall always be forced to live in a nation less rich and vibrant for their absence, we today remember them and that day and echo our parents in saying that it is a day which shall live in infamy, but never in vain.”

September 12th- Travel to New York, meeting with families of first responders and those who died on 9/11

September 13th- Travel to New Hampshire, town hall at Salem High School

“Q: Senator, what specifically would you change about our tax code? You have spoken often about your frustration with the current system, but what do you intend, specifically, to do?

A: The way I see it, there are several key issues to consider on taxes. In the first place, we have to recognize that we are now at war with international terrorism, and so if we are going to actively pursue our mission abroad, we will need to ensure that our military is well funded. That means you can be giving tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans, people who will often tell you they simply don’t need tax breaks. So first, you let the most recent round of tax cuts expire for those in the top income tax brackets. Beyond that, you increase the taxable minimum and the standard deduction, two big breaks for lower and middle-income Americans, and at the same time start curtailing reductions that are often only claimed by those who are well off. I’m not going to raise taxes on middle-income Americans, I am going to cut your taxes, and I am going to do it while making sure we have a fair and even tax system.

September 14th- Town halls in Amherst and Milford

September 15th- Town hall in Concord, town hall for state legislators in the evening

September 16th- Town hall in Franklin, return to Washington for Senate duties

September 17th- Interview for Fox New’s The O'Reilly Factor

Excerpt
“O’Reilly: Senator McCain, you have broken from your party on a couple of pretty significant issues, wouldn’t you say? I mean on the new marriage amendment, on taxes, you’ve even been critical about how Iraq is being handled. I mean why even run as a Republican if you have so many disagreements with the party?

McCain: Well, simply put I am and always have been a Republican and am proud to be a member of the party of Abraham Lincoln. We started out as an anti-slavery party, we stood by President Lincoln as he fought what was for some time an unpopular war to unite this country and free the slaves. I believe, like the rest of my party, that we need to fight for balanced budgets and sensible regulation, and believe firmly, as President Reagan did, in the doctrine of peace through strength. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find someone more Republican than me on those issues.

OR: But what about these other issues? I mean let's talk about the new marriage amendment. You have come out against it when most of your party, or at least most of the conservatives in your party, seem for it. Why?

M: It’s just too much, that’s why I oppose it. In the same way that I would oppose an Amendment to give the federal government unfettered control over our schools or our state police, I don’t think we should be trying to insert the federal government into issues it has not traditionally regulated. This would be a massive expansion of federal power over the states, and last I checked we were supposed to be against that sort of thing. Now at the state level, it is a different matter, there I support amending state constitutions to defend the sanctity of marriage, but I won’t support this extension of federal power.”

September 18th- Senate duties

September 19th- Fly to New Hampshire with Senator Graham, rally in Manchester

September 20th- Town halls in Conway and Berlin

September 21st- Town halls in Littleton and Haverhill

September 22nd- Town hall in Charlestown, fly back to Washington

September 23rd- Meeting with Senator Gregg and Sununu in office

September 24th- Meet with Armed Services Committee colleagues to discuss President Cheney’s proposed funding increase

September 25th-27th- Senate duties

September 28th- Appear on Meet the Press to discuss President Cheney’s funding request

“Q: Senator McCain, you have been a critic of the way the situation in Iraq has been handled. Do you support this funding request, and if so why do you think it will be better used than past funding?

A: Well we won’t be able to do anything in Iraq without the resources that President Cheney has requested. We need to be sure that our troops over there have our full backing, and so I applaud the President for bringing this proposal forward to set us on the right path. I hope that with additional funding will come additional troops and resources need to head off this insurgency and give democracy a fighting chance in Iraq.”

September 29th-30th- Senate duties

October 1st- Fly to Arizona for constituent work

October 2nd-4th- Work out of Phoenix office

October 4th-6th- Work out of Mesa office

October 7th- Fly to Washington, Senate duties

October 8th-10th- Senate duties

October 11th- Fly to New Hampshire, Town hall in Bedford

October 12th- Town halls in Laconia and Plymouth

October 13th- Interview with the Union Leader, and speech to the Business and Industry Association of New Hampshire

October 14th- Meeting with Concord Monitor editorial board

October 15th- Town halls in Henniker and Peterborough

October 16th- Fly to Washington

October 17th-19th- Senate duties

October 20th- Announce tours of Afghanistan and Iraq, departing on the 22nd

October 21st- Briefings for trip, Senate duties

October 22nd- Fly to Afghanistan, meet with US and allied leadership in Kabul

October 23rd- Meeting with troops at Bagram Air Base about the situation in Afghanistan, tour of barracks

October 24th- Drive through rural areas around Kabul with US troops, discussions with officers about the situation in the countryside

October 25th- Fly to Iraq, visit those hospitalized after an attack on the Al-Rashid Hotel

October 26th- Meet with US service members in Baghdad, discuss the situation in Iraq

October 27th- Visit those injured in coordinated bombings in Baghdad. 

October 28th- Interview with CNN from Baghdad

“Being here, I am more convinced than ever that our strategy needs to change in Iraq. Since I have arrived in Baghdad, we have seen several coordinated attacks not just on our brave soldiers, but against humanitarian centers which play no role in military operations. We are facing a deadly and committed insurgency, and we need to be willing to commit the necessary resources to combat it. The Coalition Provisional Authority needs to be seriously overhauled and given stable, strong leadership if we are going to move beyond the crisis situation here. I have no doubt in the ability of our troops here in Iraq, but we need to give them the resources and the leadership that they need to get the job done, and right now it seems pretty clear they aren’t getting it. In light of this, I am asking that Paul Bremer either step up and take charge, and stop playing politics back in Washington, or resign and let President Cheney appoint someone who will actually fight for and use needed resources.”

October 29th- Return to Washington DC

October 30th- Flight to Arizona

October 31st- Attend Halloween festivities in Phoenix
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2022, 03:19:03 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 05:50:10 AM by joshva »

DSC00233 by Mike Huckabee, on Flickr

Huckabee slams 'militant' opposition to 'traditional marriage'

At a town hall along his Faith, Family, Freedom tour in South Carolina, Governor Huckabee responded to calls from Democratic candidates to legalize same-sex marriage or civil unions, stating that it "truly demonstrates" the need for a "national conversation on a constitutional amendment for traditional Marriage." In it, he called on the Republican Party to unite around the proposed Marriage Amendment that he and Senator DeMint have been pushing in the Senate. An excerpt:

"I think Americans, and certainly I do as well, understand instinctively what's at stake here. In essentially every society for the past two millennia, marriage has been ordained as the sacred union between one man and one woman until a concerted effort from an out-of-touch special interest told us otherwise. We have a right to preserve the institutions we hold as sacred, without unelected judicial activists, celebrities and federal bureaucrats lecturing us about how wrong we are to hold the convictions that we do. Marriage is between a man and a woman, ordained by our Creator to propagate not only the human race, but the values of our society, the difference between right and wrong, and we will not waver on that. Government has the role of preserving, not fabricating, the rights endowed to us by our Creator, as it was written in our founding documents. And this isn't just one of those trivial issues we always hear politicians blowing out of proportion during election season: this is marriage for pete's sake, this is family, these are the building blocks of our society.

As I have traveled across Iowa, South Carolina and other states, I've heard a lot of Republicans, in fact Americans of all political affiliations, express that same perspective, which is why I am sorely disappointed in the response of some of my Republican competitors who just want to label this issue as culture war hocus pocus. They're wrong, and it's insulting to us who care about the genuine effort being made to redefine marriage. As a matter of fact, I don't think I've heard any of those candidates speak out against Democratic politicians calling for a federal redefining of marriage as much as they've talked about my supposed antics, and that is really telling. The push here is truly quite scary for a lot of American families and espousing Christians who believe very strongly in marriage's sanctity, and I want people to know that I won't waver on this issue like a lot of you won't. I am strongly in favor of this marriage amendment to put this issue into the hands of us, the people, and out of the courtroom of a zealous judicial activist who want to make a Constitutional right for just about everything the framers didn't intend."

IMG_4806 by Michael Bates, on Flickr

Governor Huckabee backs Iraq surge: "Defeat is not an option."

Mike Huckabee spoke to the press briefly after the President announced his intentions to put more focus and funding into the Iraq War to express his support for the move. An excerpt:

"When we commit to something as a nation, we can't just back out of it the next second. We cannot walk away from the present danger in Iraq, not just for the honor of our nation but for the honor of our military. I don't think defeat is an option here; we've set clear goals when we went into Iraq, and they must be met. The calls to place more pressure on this operation and provide more funding to the men and women who are serving our nation are well-guided, and I support it whole-heartedly. This whole attitude some candidates in the Democratic field have of, well, we've made some mistakes here and there, so let's just put the whole situation at the bottom of our priorities, is extremely misguided. Look, we can all have our own opinions about how the war in Iraq has been conducted, and believe me I sure do, but at the end of the day, we are one nation; we cannot turn our back on the servicemembers that are putting their life on the line fighting the terrorist insurgency and who toppled the brutal dictatorship of Saddam Hussein, which is what ignoring their needs would do. This is the United States of America for what it's worth; why are we even considering conceding to terrorist insurgents and demoralizing the military for a generation? To win this war, and to win it with the respect and honor that our military deserves, we must give them the resources necessary to complete our goals. President Cheney's plan accomplishes that, I'm happy to see it."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2022, 03:40:25 AM »

Wesley Clark's schedule for September and October

September 1-Rally in Santa Fe, New Mexico

September 3-Rally in Sioux City, Iowa

September 4-8-Barnstorm in southern Iowa

September 11-Attend memorial service at Ground Zero

September 13-Rally in Washington DC

The people up on that hill have been in their jobs for years, and what have they done? Got us invovled in a military quagmire while simultaneously passing irresponsibly large tax cuts for the wealthiest people in this country.

As president, I will reverse those cuts, and remove our presence in Iraq the second we have a stable government in place. We cannot get bogged down in the type of war we fought back in Vietnam.

September 14-15-Town hall in Washington DC

September 17: Rally in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

September 18: Town hall in Oklahoma City

September 21: Endorse Ronnie Musgrove for re-election in Jackson

Governor Musgrove and I may not agree on abortion or other issues, but I'd rather have a Democrat in charge of Mississippi than a Republican!

I am proud to endorse Governor Ronnie Musgrove for re-election here in Mississippi. A governor who understands the need for public education in these times. A man who ensured that in 2002, every classroom in the state had a computer connected to the internet; the first to do that in the nation. In November, get out and vote for Ronnie Musgrove, the once and future Governor of Mississippi!

September 22: Meet with Gov. Musgrove (seeking endorsement)

September 25: Rally in Charleston, South Carolina

September 26: Town hall in Columbia, South Carolina

September 27-October 2: Barnstorm in South Carolina

October 4-7: Banstorm in New Hampshire

October 8: Phonecall with State Sen. Barack Obama (seeking endorsement)

October 10-14: Barnstorm northern Iowa

October 16: Phonecall with Robert Baines, Mayor of Manchester, New Hampshire (seeking endorsement)

October 17-21: Barnstorm New Hampshire

October 22: Rally in Concord, New Hampshire

October 23: Town hall in Manchester, New Hampshire

October 25-31: Barnstorm North Dakota

BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2022, 05:16:34 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 04:16:35 PM by joshva »

Mike Huckabee '04
Hope, in America.

Fall Schedule
September 1-7: Faith, Family, Freedom tour, Iowa
September 8-10: Travel to North and South Carolina, aid in Hurricane relief efforts
September 11: Cease campaigning for 9/11 observance.
September 12: Deliver counter-terrorism speech in New Hamsphire
September 13-16: Hold 5 town hall events in Faith, Family, Freedom tour, New Hampshire
September 17-18: 'Meet and Greet' events with evangelicals across Iowa
September 19: Rally with James Dobson in Cedar Rapids, IA
September 20-22: Consult Iowa's right-to-life and agriculture advocacy groups for endorsements
September 23: Round-table discussion with local Christian leaders on Marriage Amendment
September 24-27: Appear on major news outlets for national interviews on Marriage Amendment, Iraq surge
September 28-31: Hold QnA events in South Carolina on abortion, faith credentials

October 1-2: Solicit endorsements from Senator Jim DeMint and South Carolina's right-to-life chapter
October 3: Campaign rally in Charleston over foreign policy, flag desecration, national reverence
October 4-7: Meet with national strategists to discuss the campaign's newfound momentum
October 8-12: Five town halls with Janet Huckabee over marriage, Iowa
October 13: Photo-op and meet-and-greet with local farmer groups
October 14-16: Hold meetings with Senator Chuck Grassley to solicit an endorsement
October 17-19: Travel to New Hampshire to host 4 QnA Foreign Policy town-halls over Iraq surge
October 20: Rally with televangelists endorsees in Des Moines, defend abortion, marriage stances
October 21-24: Conduct interviews with local Iowa newspapers over the proposed Marriage Amendment
October 25: Hold campaign rally in Greenville over fiscal responsibility
October 26-31: Continue Faith, Family, Freedom tour, South Carolina

The Hucka-Surge Strategy

With recent news of Governor Huckabee's campaign picking up among conservatives and gaining the attention of national press, he will attempt to move his campaign into a new phase designed to capitalize on that momentum and win over a strong base of the Republican Party that leans more conservative socially. In particular, the Marriage Amendment has allowed Huckabee's campaign to distinguish his name from a field of candidates that lean more liberal on an issue that the Republican rank-and-file is overwhelmingly for. Governor Huckabee intends to emphasize not only their opposition, but the call from the Democratic Party at-large to legalize same-sex marriage, which the Republican base is overwhelmingly in opposition towards. In doing this, campaign will attempt to capture the feeling of a conservative electorate ignored by the political class of their party. Much of his campaign's schedule emulates this focus towards getting out that message broadly, so while he is in the national spotlight, he will attempt to speak on the issues that a large portion of the Republican electorate care more deeply about (abortion, national reverence, 2nd amendment, local education) than the typical "moderate issues," so to speak.

Though a national support base is critical, to be sure, the Huckabee campaign understands that the real work is on the ground-game. The Faith, Family, Freedom tour emphasizes this; the campaign is attempting to win over voters at the base level with their candidate's charisma and charm. The goal is, as well, to present Mike Huckabee as sort-of an underdog dark horse candidate that people can feel a sense of solidarity with. Demographics to be especially targeted are rural, socially conservative, religious or lower-income Republican voters. As for foreign policy, Mike has aimed since day one of his campaign to connect the Iraq war to the broader social issues involving reverence to the military and to the nation. Governor Huckabee does not mince words in his support for the Iraq surge; the strategy is, as he relays it to the voter base, to accomplish our goals 'overwhelmingly' and do it with as much support as is both possible and to the extent it aids those endeavors. This ties into the broader message of conservative patriotism that the campaign is trying to distinguish itself with.
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2022, 08:05:20 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 08:46:06 PM by joshva »

Mike's Debate Answers

Opening Statement:
"Thank you so much, Joe, you know it really is an honor to be up here tonight. Never in a million years would I have imagined going from growing up in that poor, small town of Hope, Arkansas to debating in such a prestigious library and running for President of the United States, but that really is the beauty of our nation, isn't it? I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way when I say we've lost some of that, we've lost some of what makes the United States so unique and exceptional. President Reagan once said that "freedom is never one generation from extinction," and the price of freedom is eternal vigilance. Our Republic is structured so that people from all walks of life can have a part in preserving the principles, the traditions, the heritage and the faith of our nation. I'm running for President because I believe so many Americans feel that our social fabric has been unwinded, and it is my civic duty, as any good American, to help rebuild that sense of community, patriotism and devotion to our fellow countrymen in this great nation. God bless."

"Gentlemen. It has been a scary three years for most Americans. Terrorists attacked us on 9/11, shocking the nation and leading us into a global war on terrorism. Only a few months ago, the President of the United States suddenly died. Americans want to know more than anything, how will you keep them safe, and what makes you the candidate best prepared to do so?"

"As I've traveled across this great nation, I've met so many people that really do feel our nation is at a crossroads, and they fear for the future of this nation and it's ability to combat international terror. I know for many Americans the most stressful 4 hours of their life were those on 9/11. Three thousand innocent Americans were killed brutally by jihadist terrorists and radicals attempting to subvert our nation and our democracy. Growing up in a deeply religious background and being an ordained minister, my religious convictions teach me strongly about the intrinsic worth and the sanctity of human life; there is no-one who will treat these issues with deeper regard than me.

Counter-terrorism has been one of the major focuses of my campaign for that reason. As President, I would renew our focus on capturing, or killing, Al-Qaeda leadership and Osama bin Laden and tell jihadists that hell will freeze over before they obtain a weapon of mass destruction. At home, I'd increase support for millimeter wave screening with the TSA and expand support for the AFT and FBI in carrying out border security operations. I believe as long as we remember who we are, what our values stand for and the heritage we share, there is no tyrant nor jihadist that we cannot defeat as a nation. Our reverence for life is what makes the United States so special, and it is our commitment to it that makes us so resilient."

"We have around 150,000 soldiers stationed in Iraq. Combat with Ba'athist forces is ending, but an insurgency is developing, especially in the Sunni Triangle, where groups like Jamaat Ansar al-Sunna are thriving. What will you do to bring the situation in Iraq under control, and establish a functioning democracy? When can we expect our soldiers to return home if you are President?"

"I don't know of any American that I've met along the campaign trail that wants the Iraq War to last one more day than is necessary. But we must make sure that before we send the men and women in the military home, they're able to accomplish the mission that they're trained, ready, capable and willing to do. It's very dangerous to consider, just because some mistakes have been made along the way, that we've gotta pull out now, because war is about will and he who gives up loses. We wouldn't just lose everything we've built in Iraq, we would lose the morale of our military for a generation; the damage that would be done to our reputation, our ability to respond to future conflicts and the men and women who have made so much sacrifice is beyond calculation. It's utterly inconceivable to me the idea of withdrawing before we've achieved our goal in Iraq.

So, if we want to win, accomplish our goals and still get out when we can, we can't continue this whole one foot in, one foot out approach. We need all hands on deck. I am wholeheartedly in support of the Iraq surge because the men and women there need the resources to get the job done. I believe the next President needs to listen extensively to what our generals and commanders are saying about the needs and demands of our military in Iraq, because these are the people that actually have a life-or-death stake in it and are on the frontline really risking their lives for their fellow servicemembers."

"Do you believe in the theory of evolution?"

"To me, it's pretty simple: you either believe God really created the heavens and the earth deliberately or that it was an accident and it just happened all on it's own. Let me be clear, I believe in every word of Genesis, I believe God actively played a role in the creation process. Now I'm running to be President of the United States, not a Sunday School teacher, and you can take it as you will, but I will never waver on my fundamental beliefs in God's magnificent creation. So the answer is no."

"To Governor Huckabee: You've made a name for yourself as among the most pro-life candidates in the race. What is your thinking when it comes to the issue of abortion?"

"A lot of us spoke earlier about the intrinsic moral value of those men and women who have been killed in vicious jihadist attacks, in one way or another, and I think this issue is no different. Even though we can't place ourselves in those people's situations, we know instinctively that there is something wrong with the killing of other people. As I explained earlier I had a strong religious upbringing that really imprinted on me those values, and I think that's why the issue of life is so central to my politics as a whole. The God-given right to our own life precedes all others. I think we really need to have a Human Life Amendment like what I passed in Arkansas, Amendment 65; it says life begins at conception and that we ought to do everything in the world to protect it until it's natural conclusion. That belief of intrinsic human worth is entrenched in our founding documents, the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and that's why, as a party and as a nation, we need to be serious about restoring our nation's moral attitude towards all life."
BGBC
joshva
Rookie

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2022, 08:47:05 AM »
« Edited: February 21, 2022, 04:15:05 PM by joshva »

Ad #1: We believe.

- ad opens to various clips of Mike Huckabee talking to crowds of people in town hall formats -

"Faith doesn't just guide me, it really defines me."

Authentic Values, Principled Leader.

"We cannot ever sacrifice that for anyone's politics, not now, not ever."

Pro-Life. Pro-Family. Pro-Traditional Marriage.

"I believe that life begins at conception and that it has intrinsic God-given value."

Proven Conservative Governor.

"We believe in some things, we stand by those things, we live or die by those things. When we, as a nation, stand by our principles, there is no tyrant, despot nor terrorist that can overcome it."

Family. Life. Liberty.

Voiceover: "I'm Mike Huckabee, and I approve this message."

Aired in IA, SC, NH, WI
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »
« Edited: February 22, 2022, 09:36:00 PM by KaiserDave »

Turn III: November 1st-December 31st 2003

Massachusetts Supreme Court Strikes Down Same-Sex Marriage Ban, Adding Fuel to Marriage Fire
The court ruled 5-3 that the state had to recognize same-sex marriage, further igniting the debate over marriage sweeping the nation. Story continued...

"Ladies and Gentlemen, we got him" SADDAM HUSSEIN CAPTURED
Notorious dictator, brutal tyrant captured by U.S. forces near hometown of Tikrit. Story continued....

Cheney Against Marriage Amendment
President Cheney threw cold water on a proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, calling it a "political distraction" when the country has to be "laser-focused on securing the homeland from terrorist threats and defeating the insurgency in Iraq." Story continued....

Wesley Clark? The General Rising in the Polls
There's been renewed focus on General Wesley Clark, running for President as a Democrat, who has seen a meteoric rise in the polls lately. Story Continued....

GOVERNATOR: Arnold Takes It, Republicans sweep
Republicans triumphed across the board as they captured the gubernatorial mansions in Louisiana, Kentucky, Mississippi in a big win for Republicans. The wins were capped off by a recall victory in California, with famous body builder Arnold Schwarzenegger capturing the Golden State for the GOP. Mississippi Governor Ronnie Musgrove went down by a mere three points, in a different close race. Story Continued....

CNN/USA Today Polls the Presidential Nominations for 2004

Poll taken from November 3rd to November 7th

Republican Primary Poll

Sample Size: 1,011
MoE: +/- 3.7%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-8%
Jeb Bush-16%
Colin Powell-15%
John McCain-15%
Rudy Giuliani-13%
Mike Huckabee-13%
Tom Ridge-10%
George Pataki-5%
Ron Paul-2%
Pat Robertson-2%

Democratic Primary Poll

Poll taken from November 1st to November 4th

Sample Size: 1,074
MoE: +/- 3.6%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other-12%
Howard Dean-26%
John Kerry-24%
Wesley Clark-18%
Dennis Kucinich-12%
Joe Biden-8%

Early State Polls Tighten

Poll taken from November 2nd to November 5th

Republican Primary Poll: Iowa

Sample Size: 486
MoE: +/- 3.9%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other- 13%
Mike Huckabee-26%
Jeb Bush-18%
Pat Robertson-11%
Rudy Giuliani-8%
John McCain-7%
Tom Ridge-6%
Ron Paul-5%
Colin Powell-4%
George Pataki-4%

Democratic Primary Poll: Iowa

Poll taken from September 2nd to September 5th

Sample Size: 452
MoE: +/- 4.1%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other- 13%
Howard Dean-27%
John Kerry-25%
Wesley Clark-15%
Dennis Kucinich-13%
Joe Biden-7%

Poll taken from November 2nd to November 5th

Republican Primary Poll: New Hampshire

Sample Size: 466
MoE: +/- 4.0%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other- 6%
Colin Powell-19%
John McCain-17%
Rudy Giuliani-16%
Tom Ridge-15%
Jeb Bush-9%
George Pataki-9%
Mike Huckabee-6%
Ron Paul-3%
Pat Robertson-0%

Democratic Primary Poll: New Hampshire

Poll taken from October 31st to November 2nd

Sample Size: 411
MoE: +/- 4.5%
Undecided/Unfamiliar/Other- 11%
Howard Dean-26%
John Kerry-19%
Wesley Clark-19%
Dennis Kucinich-16%
Joe Biden-7%

All Images Wikimedia Commons
Note: Remember early polls are just that, EARLY. Missing a turn DOES NOT doom you.

You have 3 weeks! There will be a debate this turn. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask either in the discussion thread or messaging me.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2022, 09:32:11 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2022, 02:53:00 PM by KaiserDave »

Endorsements List

Republicans
Rudy Giuliani:
New York Congressman Peter King
Police Benevolent Association of the City of New York
New Jersey Congressman Frank LoBiondo
New York Congressman Jim Walsh
New York State Senator Joseph Bruno
New York Real Estate Developer Donald Trump
National Troopers Coalition
Manchester Alderman Frank Guinta
Publisher Steve Forbes
Actor Jon Voigt
California Congressman Mary Bono
Jeb Bush:
Former President George H. W. Bush
Former First Lady Barbara Bush
Former Vice President Dan Quayle
Florida Attorney General Charlie Crist
Florida Congressman Adam Putnam
Texas Senator John Cornyn
Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson
Colin Powell:
Former Massachusetts Senator Edward Brooke
Maryland Lieutenant Governor Michael Steele
Former Defense Secretary Caspar Weinberger
Former National Security Advisor Brent Scowcroft
Former Secretary of State George Schultz
Virginia Congressman Frank Wolf
Maryland Governor Bob Ehrlich
Former Washington Governor Daniel J. Evans
Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed
Former Vermont Congressman Peter Plympton Smith
Delaware Congressman Mike Castle
Washington Gubernatorial Candidate Dino Rossi
Virginia Congressman Tom Davis
Former Michigan Governor John Engler
Michigan Congressman Fred Upton
John McCain:
Retired Admiral Jerome L. Johnson
Retired Admiral Admiral George Kinnear
Arizona Congressman Jeff Flake
Arizona Congressman Rick Renzi
Arizona Congressman John Shadegg
Arizona Congressman Jim Kolbe
South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham
Indiana Senator Richard Lugar
Nebraska Senator Chuck Hagel
New Hampshire Senator Judd Gregg
Tom Ridge:
Former Pennsylvania Governor Mark Schweiker
Pennsylvania Congressman Phil English
Former Lieutenant Governor of Pennsylvania Bill Scranton III
Pennsylvania Senator Arlen Specter
Utah Gubernatorial Candidate Jon Huntsman Jr.
Republicans for Choice
Republican Majority for Choice
New Jersey Governor Christine Todd Whitman
New Hampshire Congressman Charles Bass
Mike Huckabee:
Arkansas Congressman John Boozman
Pro-Life Activist Janet L. Folger
Author James Dobson
Televangelist James Robison
Former Arkansas Senator Tim Hutchinson
Pastor Mathew Staver
Minister Donald Wildmon
Missouri Right-to-Life
Arkansas Right-to-Life
National Right-to-Life (All Chapters signing)
Discovery Institute
Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions
George Pataki:
Former Lieutenant Governor Betsy McCaughey
New York State Assemblyman John Faso
Secretary of State of New York Randy Daniels
Vermont Governor Jim Douglas
Vermont Lieutenant Governor Brian Dubie
New Hampshire State Senator Ted Gatsas
Former New York Senator Al D'Amato
Pat Robertson:
Televangelist Kenneth Copeland
Televangelist Jerry Falwell Sr.

Democrats
Howard Dean:
Vermont Senator Pat Leahy
Vermont Senator Jim Jeffords
Vermont Congressman Bernie Sanders
New Hampshire State House Assistant Majority Leader Dan Eaton
New Hampshire State Senate Majority Leader Joseph Foster
New Hampshire State Senator Susan Almy
Iowa State Senator Robert Dvorsky
MoveOn.org
AFSCME
SEIU
Former New Jersey Senator Bill Bradley
John Kerry:
Massachusetts Congressman Stephen Lynch
Massachusetts Congressman Ed Markey
Massachusetts Attorney General Thomas Reilly
Former Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis
Iowa Secretary of State Chet Culver
Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller
Rhode Island Senator Jack Reed
Talk Show Host Howard Stern
Washington D.C. Councillor Jack Evans
Massachusetts Senator Edward M. Kennedy
Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell
Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm
Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow
New York Senator Chuck Schumer
California Senator Dianne Feinstein
United Steelworkers
IBEW
Wesley Clark:
Former Senator George McGovern
Former UN Ambassador Andrew Young
Retired General Gregory S. Newbold
Arkansas Senator Blanche Lincoln
Mississippi Governor Ronnie Musgrove
West Virginia State Senate President Earl Ray Tomblin
West Virginia State Secretary of State Joe Manchin
Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry
Wyoming Governor Dave Freudenthal
Missouri Governor Bob Holden
Tennessee Governor Phil Bredesen
Manchester Mayor Robert Baines
Florida Senator Bill Nelson
Joe Biden:
Delaware Senator Tom Carper
Iowa State House Speaker Pro Tempore Polly Bukta
Iowa State Representative Mary A. Gaskill
New Hampshire State Representative Robert Haley
New Hampshire State Representative Bill Hatch
Connecticut Senator Chris Dodd
Dennis Kucinich:
Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel
Musician Willie Nelson
Actress Susan Sarandon
Filmmaker Tim Robbins
Students for a Democratic Society
Actor Sean Penn
West Virginia Congressman Nick Rahall

If there is anything you believe to be missing, just tell me.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2022, 02:15:55 PM »

Debate Rules and Regulations

Welcome to the second debate of Eagle in Peril. Debates in this game will be important in delineating differences between candidates, and forcing you to take tough positions. It will give you a chance to attack your opponents, and show why you're the best candidate. This opens up potential endorsements and other sources of support. Debates will be judged on the cohesiveness of your answers (not, cohesiveness is not grammar, people don't always speak in good grammar, but I will expect your remarks to be readable obviously), and rhetorical skill. There will also be a randomized element for scoring. There will be an opening statement, two general questions, and a personalized question. You are also invited to post another written statement, rebutting the views of others or attacking other candidates. Answers should be of reasonable lengths. Not four sentences, and also not two paragraphs. Responses are due at the end of turn. I look forward to the joy this will bring!

Durham New Hampshire Republican Debate

Brite Hume: Welcome to the Durham New Hampshire Republican Debate in the Whittemore Center of the University of New Hampshire. I'm Brite Hume of the Fox News Channel, I'm joined by Chris Wallace and White House correspondent Wendell Goler. Today we're moderating the second Republican debate for President of the United States. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. Gentlemen. New Hampshire voters are concerned about the economy. Unemployment hovers around 6%, many Americans remain without a job, economic growth per year remains under 4%, and many worry the recovery from the post 9/11 slowdown is weak, or worse, that America is entering a period of long term economic stagnation. Here in New Hampshire, they've been bleeding manufacturing jobs for years. How will you put Americans and Granite staters back to work, and what can or should government do to create jobs?

3. Over the past 15 years, the United States has signed a multitude of free trade agreements. Most prominently NAFTA. There has also been the establishment of Permanent Normal Trade Relations with China. This is a polarizing issue here in New Hampshire, some say it's killing jobs, others say it's creating jobs and reducing the cost of living. Where do you stand on NAFTA, and on free trade in general?

4. (Please keep your answer to a few sentences). Do you support a Constitutional Amendment to ban same-sex marriage?

Personalized Questions:
To Mayor Giuliani: You were Mayor of New York City during 9/11, and did much at that time during the crisis. How does this prepare you for the presidency?
To Governor Bush: What can you say to the audience tonight on the legacy of your father (who is here tonight) and brother, and what will you do as President to carry it out?
To Secretary Powell: The overwhelming majority of Republicans support gun rights. You've historically been supportive of some gun control measures, where do you stand on gun rights today?
To Governor Ridge: Many Republicans worry over your conservative credentials, despite your pledge to pick a pro life Republican running mate, do you consider yourself a Reagan and Bush Conservative?
To Senator McCain: Senator Lieberman, your friend made some headlines recently before his campaign ended on America potentially remaining in Iraq indefinitely. How long do you envision America to be in Iraq?
To Governor Huckabee: Do you support American engagement and membership in international organizations such as NATO, the UN, and the WTO?
To Governor Pataki: Your record as Governor, and as a public figure, is decidedly pro choice. In 1999 you said the party should soften its position on abortion. Do you stand for abortion rights now?
To Reverend Robertson: Many people do not believe you are making a serious candidacy for President given recent, frankly unhinged statements in debates and speeches. Are you a serious candidate for President?

5. Rebuttal Period

Des Moines Democratic Debate

Tom Brokaw: Welcome to the MSNBC Des Moines Iowa Democratic presidential debate. We're joined at the Polk County Convention Center and I'm joined by all of the Democratic candidates for president. I'm Tom Brokaw, I'll be moderating tonights debate. Let's begin.

1. An Opening Statement

2. There's been a great deal of winnowing in the Democratic field. People are starting to get serious about who they want to be the Democratic Party's nominee for President, people are starting to commit to candidates, the pool of undecideds is shrinking. So the question is, why are you the best candidate to beat the Republican nominee?

3. There was a recession in the early 2000s, now the nation is recovering. But many people, and many Democrats are saying the recovery is too slow, and that the gains from the new economy are too concentrated at the top. What will you do to make our economy stronger, and specifically to grow and protect the American middle class?

4. In one sentence, will you support the Democratic nominee for President, no matter who it is?

Personalized Questions:
To Governor Dean: Governor Dean, as Governor of Vermont you pursued a moderate path on fiscal policy, you supported tax cuts and often opposed pushes for new big spending from the party's left flank. Will you pursue a similar path as President?
To Senator Kerry: How does your military service uniquely prepare you to be President?
To Senator Biden: You've been running as the candidate of America's forgotten working people, but some progressives say your record favors the special interests, specifically credit card companies. How do you explain this difference of view, and can you speak to concerns about your record?
To General Clark: General simply put, are you a liberal Democrat? Can Democrats depend on you to promote a liberal agenda as President?
To Congressman Kucinich: How would you finance your expensive plans for universal healthcare? Would it include tax increases on the middle class?

5. Rebuttal Period

Did this fast, tell me if there are any errors and please excuse huge grammar mistakes
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2022, 09:21:23 PM »

Colin Powell Debate Answers

1. First of all I want to thank Brite, Chris and Wendell for moderating, my fellow candidates for attending and Fox News for hosting this debate. America stands triumphant in the world right now. We are winning the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan and have successfully driven back terrorism from our shores. For the last three years, I've worked day in and day out to accomplish these goals, side by side with Presidents Bush and Cheney. I've been prepared for a task like this my whole life. From Vietnam to Operation Desert Storm to now, I've learned what it means to be a leader and most importantly, to be a good one. Now I'm hoping to step into another leadership role, the most powerful in the world. Any good leader has to build respect and trust, I'm hoping that through this campaign, you will see me as someone you can trust to protect our country and our ideals. Experience is what America needs right now, and that's what I'm offering. I hope you'll join me.

2. Over the past few months, I've been looking very closely at the economic issues affecting our country, listening to voters, meeting with my advisers and I'll say this. The way we do things is broken. We have a culture in Washington of complacency, too many politicians think they've been there done that with fixing the economy. I'm here to say that we still have major issues in this country. We need to make healthcare more affordable by cutting red tape for insurers and expanding access. The tax cuts passed by President Bush were a good start and I support further tax cuts for our middle class. We also need to repair our critical infrastructure. While we're fixing Iraq, we can't neglect our priorities at home. I'm coming at this from an outsider perspective, and that's a perspective that wants to get things done.

3. Look I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Democracy flowers when trade is free. As Secretary of State, I've seen up close how expanding trade with other nations strengthens alliances and promotes our geopolitical position. By creating a more connected, more effecient world, we can spread these values of democracy, of liberty, to people of all nations through economic means. Now in regard to the NAFTA agreement, I supported it before it was ratified and I continue to support it. The deal is a key piece of our important alliances with Canada and Mexico and if you look at the numbers, it's been a real win-win for all parties involved.

4. Look, I'm not going to lie about it. I support some gun regulations. I don't believe the Second Amendment is a guarantee for you to have any type of gun you want, at any time, for any reason. Does this mean that I don't value the right to bear arms as an essential liberty for the American People? Of course not. As President, I would value the opinions of all of my party and of all Americans on this issue. I want to listen to a variety of different perspectives, while in so doing, standing strongly against any measure that seeks to deprive Americans of their god-given rights. Look, we can make sure that these weapons are n't falling into the hands of terrorists who seek to destroy our way of life, without destroying it ourself. I know it can be done.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies