Biography of John Randolph?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:13:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Biography of John Randolph?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biography of John Randolph?  (Read 279 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2022, 03:36:29 PM »

I am interested in reading an in-depth biography of John Randolph of Roanoke for a personal project.  Does anyone have any recommendations for such a book?
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 10:06:48 PM »

Following this. I've been reading through all the presidents in order (I'm up to JQA so far) and JRoR keeps coming up again and again.

Fun fact: Randolph never went through puberty and had the voice and to an extent appearance of a child all throughout his life.
Aurelius
Cody
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2022, 05:00:43 AM »

I am interested in reading an in-depth biography of John Randolph of Roanoke for a personal project.  Does anyone have any recommendations for such a book?

Disclaimer: I have not actually read any of these books.

I was able to quickly find about half a dozen biographies of Randolph, of which these are the most notable:

"John Randolph of Roanoke" by David E. Johnson is the most recent biography and takes advantage of source material that wasn't available to older biographers. Reviews are mixed to positive; one review on Amazon says that it feels at times more like a collection of Randolph's speeches than an actual biography. Other reviews are much more positive.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13790671-john-randolph-of-roanoke

"John Randolph of Roanoke: A Study in American Politics, With Selected Speeches and Letters" by Russell Kirk was originally published in 1951. Kirk was one of the leading conservative philosophers of the 20th century and thus has a deep knowledge of Randolph's philosophical outlook. Reviews praise the book for well-explained historical context and are overall very positive. Given Kirk's worldview I suspect this is a very sympathetic biography.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/781383.John_Randolph_of_Roanoke?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=HkIwfCP3cB&rank=1

"John Randolph" by Henry Adams was originally published in 1882. Adams, the grandson of John Quincy Adams and great-grandson of John Adams, had access to many archives and sources that were unavailable to most researchers and historians at the time, and is best known as the author of The History of the United States under the Administrations of Jefferson and Madison, a nine-volume series that is considered one of the finest works of American historical literature. As can be expected from an Adams, this biography is harshly critical. The most recent printing contains a 17-page foreword placing the biography in its proper historical context. One review on Goodreads calls this Adams' finest work of pure biography. Overall, reviews I can find are mixed to positive, leaning toward positive.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3691353-john-randolph?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=JimU8mm8DD&rank=1

Randolph definitely seems like an interesting character who I'd like to read more about, and he's on my list of people to dig into more once I finish reading through the Presidents. The newest biography seems a bit dry, so I'll probably go with Kirk and Adams for dueling historical perspectives.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 02:12:58 AM »

Following this. I've been reading through all the presidents in order (I'm up to JQA so far) and JRoR keeps coming up again and again.

Fun fact: Randolph never went through puberty and had the voice and to an extent appearance of a child all throughout his life.

Before I became interested in politics back in 2019 I was a big history buff. I've read (admittedly pretty basic) biographies of every president except...let's see...Hayes, Benjamin Harrison and Trump. Surprisingly I don't think Randolph's name came up at all (though I confess these were very short biographies with the exception of Biden's; the book about Biden I read was actually his 2007 autobiography). I heard about him from the podcast Wicked Game.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies