Was Trump's 2016 win a fluke? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:53:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  Was Trump's 2016 win a fluke? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: see question above
Yes

No

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Author Topic: Was Trump's 2016 win a fluke?  (Read 4490 times)
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 28, 2022, 02:16:38 PM »

I thought so from November of 2016 until probably the end of 2018. By that point, he consolidated his support among the base, to where even many "Never Trump" Republicans of 2016 were rallied behind him, and any Republicans that won that year were of the MAGA persuasion. 2020 and beyond only furthered my belief that he was no fluke. 
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 01:20:47 PM »

Wut? How the hell could anyone believe Trump winning was a fluke? Republicans were favoured in 2016, parties very rarely win a third consecutive term.

If anything Clinton winning would have been more of a fluke benefiting from a historically unpopular challenger.

With that in mind I have to ask, and by asking I by no means am saying Trump's win was a fluke, but was Bush's win in 1988 a fluke then given the margin?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 11:38:11 AM »

I don't know, tbh.

I do believe that almost any other Republican would have won the popular vote in addition to the electoral college.

But I'm not sure which of them could've won PA, MI, and WI. Maybe Kasich?

Kasich is the only one I can think of too. Out of all the candidates that had a realistic shot at the nomination, he and Rubio were the only ones I could see beating Hillary, though Rubio certainly wouldn't have won MI and I doubt he'd win both of PA and WI. Cruz or Jeb would've lost.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies