How can Democrats appeal to the coal miner's daughter?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How can Democrats appeal to the coal miner's daughter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How can Democrats appeal to the coal miner's daughter?  (Read 1109 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2022, 10:26:22 PM »

Daddy doesn't vote Democrat anymore.

What does the coal miner's daughter get in voting for Democrats other than Rocky, Joe Manchin and Earl Ray?
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 11:14:53 PM »

They need to have honest, open discussions about post-coal transitioning. Most people in traditional coal mining areas acknowledge that coal mining is on track to becoming a thing of the past, but they will still be dissatisfied if the jobs which replace coal mining don’t pay as much as what mining used to pay.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:01:53 AM »

It is pretty simple. What made people stop being blacksmiths and go to work at the automobile factory?
If there is a replacement industry, preferably an industry that no one is set up to compete with us right now, that would be a good start. It would be easy if there were a way to get Coal miners to mine Rare Earths.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 02:43:19 PM »

Abandon any plans for a Green New Deal would be a start
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 04:27:40 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2022, 04:59:06 PM by TML »

I've seen it happen time after time. When the Democratic candidate allows himself to be put on the defensive and starts apologizing for the New Deal and the Fair Deal, and says he really doesn't believe in them, he is sure to lose. The people don't want a phony Democrat. If it's a choice between a genuine Republican, and a Republican in Democratic clothing, the people will choose the genuine article, every time; that is, they will take a Republican before they will a phony Democrat, and I don't want any phony Democratic candidates in this campaign.

But when a Democratic candidate goes out and explains what the New Deal and Fair Deal really are--when he stands up like a man and puts the issues before the people--then Democrats can win, even in places where they have never won before. It has been proven time and again.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 04:58:47 PM »

I've seen it happen time after time. When the Democratic candidate allows himself to be put on the defensive and starts apologizing for the New Deal and the Fair Deal, and says he really doesn't believe in them, he is sure to lose. The people don't want a phony Democrat. If it's a choice between a genuine Republican, and a Republican in Democratic clothing, the people will choose the genuine article, every time; that is, they will take a Republican before they will a phony Democrat, and I don't want any phony Democratic candidates in this campaign.

But when a Democratic candidate goes out and explains what the New Deal and fair Deal really are--when he stands up like a man and puts the issues before the people--then Democrats can win, even in places where they have never won before. It has been proven time and again.

Not sure that this 70-year-old quote applies to our political environment in 2022.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 05:29:37 PM »

But when a Democratic candidate goes out and explains what the New Deal and Fair Deal really are--when he stands up like a man and puts the issues before the people--then Democrats can win, even in places where they have never won before. It has been proven time and again.

I'm pro New Deal, Fair Deal, and Great Society. However you won't find a lot of coal mining daughters in support of a Green New Deal.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 08:15:22 AM »

Better yet, fight for a nationwide jobs guarantee and solar production facilities with prevailing wage guarantees within West Virginia.
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 12:36:07 PM »

Better yet, fight for a nationwide jobs guarantee and solar production facilities with prevailing wage guarantees within West Virginia.

The first part could work but the second part is more complicated. Coal for most of these people is more than a job.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 04:54:23 PM »

I am a strong advocate of a federal jobs guarantee, but I cannot imagine that it would be a popular proposal in WV...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2022, 06:20:07 PM »

They can't.  She's going to the prom with Mitch McConnell.
Unelectable Bystander
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2022, 06:55:21 PM »

Stop saying that they plan to put her dad out of business lol
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 06:15:24 AM »

The first part could work but the second part is more complicated. Coal for most of these people is more than a job.

I mean it might not win over everyone but it would probably win over some. I believe that a Green Industrial policy is essential for the future of the planet and one that doesn’t leave people who work in dirty industries behind so I think it’s just right that they and everyone else be given a chance at a new career. Some would probably still resent the loss of their old livelihood and I understand and frankly wouldn’t fault them for it but in the grand scheme of things compromising on this issue isn’t an option IMO.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2022, 06:48:58 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2022, 07:08:37 PM by Skill and Chance »

I'm pro New Deal, Fair Deal, and Great Society. However you won't find a lot of coal mining daughters in support of a Green New Deal.

Also, don't forget the general level of economic desperation was so much higher then, even during good times by stock market or growth statistics.  A clear majority of the country felt poor 100 years ago.  That's not the case today.   The few who still do feel that level of desperation still vote for the left generally.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2022, 06:58:55 PM »

Daddy doesn't vote Democrat anymore.

What does the coal miner's daughter get in voting for Democrats other than Rocky, Joe Manchin and Earl Ray?

Rocky Adkins?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »

But when a Democratic candidate goes out and explains what the New Deal and fair Deal really are--when he stands up like a man and puts the issues before the people--then Democrats can win, even in places where they have never won before. It has been proven time and again.

Not sure that this 70-year-old quote applies to our political environment in 2022.

Considering that when someone 'apologized' for things like the Green New Deal (Manchin), he won by 3 points, and when someone defended them (Paula Jean Swearengin 2 years later) she lost by 40, exactly this. I misread 'New Deal' as 'Green New Deal' and thought this was a recent quote, and thought they still might not be wrong until I read 'It has been proven time and time again,' which is when I wondered what time period they are talking about.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 07:05:50 PM »

I don't know the perspective of a WV miner, but it could actually help if it brings more (eco-friendly) jobs for the unemployed former coal miners, right?

They need to have honest, open discussions about post-coal transitioning. Most people in traditional coal mining areas acknowledge that coal mining is on track to becoming a thing of the past, but they will still be dissatisfied if the jobs which replace coal mining don’t pay as much as what mining used to pay.
It is pretty simple. What made people stop being blacksmiths and go to work at the automobile factory?
If there is a replacement industry, preferably an industry that no one is set up to compete with us right now, that would be a good start. It would be easy if there were a way to get Coal miners to mine Rare Earths.

These. Also, talk up economic issues and try to play down wokeness and pro-choice, pro-LGBT and pro-gun-control positions.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »

Vote for a ban on any use of any sort of green energy, and making coal mandatory for use by homes and business.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2022, 12:12:06 PM »

Vote for a ban on any use of any sort of green energy, and making coal mandatory for use by homes and business.

It's hard to get people off of Workfare.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies