should Major League Baseball be subject to anti-trust laws?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:16:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  should Major League Baseball be subject to anti-trust laws?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: should Major League Baseball be subject to anti-trust laws?
yes, obviously

yes, probably

I think so, let me look into it.....yes

meh

I think so, let me look into it.....no

no, probably not

no, baseball is special!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: should Major League Baseball be subject to anti-trust laws?  (Read 935 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2022, 08:34:09 AM »

WAPO
About 99 years and seven months ago, Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes and his colleagues issued a ruling that would shape professional baseball in the United States for the next century.

In a now infamous case most often referred to as “Federal Baseball,” the court ruled that professional baseball was exempt from the Sherman Antitrust Act passed three decades earlier, which meant teams could collude to suppress wages and dictate the fortunes of member clubs in ways that would be illegal in other big business spheres.

No other professional sports league was ever granted the same exemption, and the Supreme Court has more than once referred to that Holmes decision as one it would not make again.

Now, a century later, lawyers representing four of the 40 minor league franchises that lost their affiliations with major league teams last year are hoping they have the right case to bait the Supreme Court into ending that exemption once and for all.

<snip>

Before the start of the 2021 season, Major League Baseball took control of minor league operations. It excised 40 of 160 affiliated teams in a broad restructuring that raised standards for facilities and nutrition while ending long-standing relationships between cities and their beloved minor league clubs.

Within a year, relentless public pressure from groups representing players’ interests had convinced MLB to raise minor league pay and institute a requirement that organizations pay for minor leaguers’ housing starting next season. If MLB somehow lost its antitrust exemption, it would probably no longer take steps such as eliminating affiliated teams or dictating the organization of the minor leagues quite so quickly.

And it might just open the door for minor league players to unionize, because MLB would have more incentive to collectively bargain with its minor league employees when it would be subject to antitrust suits for wage suppression and other collectively decided standards than it does now. In collective bargaining, at least, MLB would have some say over the labor standards by which minor leaguers would be governed.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »

No.

I'm not really sympathetic to anyone here, as even with the NIL deals, college athletes are still massively underpaid. Either get rid of College sports, or get rid of the concept of professional athletics.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 01:00:31 PM »

Yes and they shouldnt be classified as a non profit.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:04:24 PM »

Baseball is special.  Its America’s sport.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 10:12:20 AM »
« Edited: January 12, 2022, 10:15:48 AM by StateBoiler »

This is something that could result in a turn about face as far as the last half of that article. I think if you asked Major League Baseball what they thought in private, of the old structure of AAA, AA, High A, Low A, and Rookie, Low A and Rookie would completely disappear, and AAA, AA, and High A would be combined into maybe 2 leagues. That would result in a lot of teams disappearing which would cause a bunch of small to medium-sized cities to throw a fit. I played rugby with a guy that did 2 years in the New York-Penn League and he said it was $7k he got paid for 4 months (you worked offseason, I think AAA is the only minor league level that can be a full-time job unless you're a top prospect in AA) and everyone found a girlfriend quickly to live with or they had 5 to 6 guys in a place. So yeah, you can increase the pay, provide housing, but it's not like they're going to be doing that for Low A teams, and definitely not for Rookie. Cities that want baseball teams still can, there are independent leagues unaffiliated with Major League Baseball.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 06:29:56 PM »

Every big business should be subjected to anti-trust laws
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 12:05:58 AM »

Baseball is special.  Its America’s sport.

MLB is not a sport. Abolishing its protections would not threaten the sport of baseball and would probably actually help it.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 12:23:02 PM »

Should 30 independent companies stop being allowed to collude with one another in order to keep their employees' salaries down in a manner that they can't even legally be sued for!? Jee, I don't know...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies