Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:36:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth  (Read 2644 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: January 15, 2022, 01:12:10 AM »

HRT/SRS for gender dysphoria is only "medicine" under a radical activist definition.  There is no other body integrity disorder we "treat" by mutilating or chemically altering normal human anatomy.  If gender dysphoria is a disease of the mind, then it should be treated as such.   

Making access to HRT/SRS the end-all, be-all of trans advocacy is a weird erasure of the overwhelming majority of trans people, both today and historically, who never medically transition.  It's also a fundamental betrayal of the supposedly-axiomatic principle that gender be decoupled from sex.  If the two are distinct, then why do we need to change people's sexual anatomy in order to affirm their gender? 

We are quickly barreling towards a future where gender non-conforming young people are told they ought to reject their bodies in order to better live-up to traditional gender stereotypes.  For some kids it is already here.  That's a future that's worse-off for everybody, queer or not. 
Maybe you're right and I am just a radical activist, but just because my experiences (such as how wrong it felt to have so much testosterone in my blood or even just sit with my genitalia hanging between my legs, how right it felt once I started HRT or went to see a surgeon) are not universal doesn't mean they're rare enough to justify pulling the plug on them. If someone doesn't want to medically transition, they don't have to.
How tf does one “feel testosterone in their blood”?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 03:18:49 AM »

HRT/SRS for gender dysphoria is only "medicine" under a radical activist definition.  There is no other body integrity disorder we "treat" by mutilating or chemically altering normal human anatomy.  If gender dysphoria is a disease of the mind, then it should be treated as such.   

Making access to HRT/SRS the end-all, be-all of trans advocacy is a weird erasure of the overwhelming majority of trans people, both today and historically, who never medically transition.  It's also a fundamental betrayal of the supposedly-axiomatic principle that gender be decoupled from sex.  If the two are distinct, then why do we need to change people's sexual anatomy in order to affirm their gender? 

We are quickly barreling towards a future where gender non-conforming young people are told they ought to reject their bodies in order to better live-up to traditional gender stereotypes.  For some kids it is already here.  That's a future that's worse-off for everybody, queer or not. 
Maybe you're right and I am just a radical activist, but just because my experiences (such as how wrong it felt to have so much testosterone in my blood or even just sit with my genitalia hanging between my legs, how right it felt once I started HRT or went to see a surgeon) are not universal doesn't mean they're rare enough to justify pulling the plug on them. If someone doesn't want to medically transition, they don't have to.

Surely you’re smart enough to know that having something in one’s bloodstream can produce effects that feel bad and - dare I say - dysphoric, right? Or at least to know how to quote people accurately. But doing that would indicate that you’re actually open to listening to trans people in good faith in an attempt to understand their experiences and learn from them, which for some reason (maybe it’s the avatar) I highly doubt.
If you’re talking about how testerone leads to people growing facial hair, then okay, but if you’re talking about “feeling too much testosterone” then that makes no sense.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 03:43:59 AM »

Surely you’re smart enough to know that having something in one’s bloodstream can produce effects that feel bad and - dare I say - dysphoric, right? Or at least to know how to quote people accurately. But doing that would indicate that you’re actually open to listening to trans people in good faith in an attempt to understand their experiences and learn from them, which for some reason (maybe it’s the avatar) I highly doubt.
If you’re talking about how testerone leads to people growing facial hair, then okay, but if you’re talking about “feeling too much testosterone” then that makes no sense.

Again, you’re just plain inaccurate with your quoting. I obviously can’t speak for DV, but I have to assume (because I try not to misread things and then take them extremely literally) that when she said “how wrong it felt to have so much testosterone in my blood” she wasn’t referring to a physical sensation within her blood caused by the presence of testosterone.
I mean, it was juxtaposed right next to “have genitalia between my legs” which very much is a physical sensation and it’s very understandable why that might cause dysphoria, so I don’t see how it was irrational to think the “testosterone in blood” was also a physical sensation that caused dysphoria.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies