Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:51:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth  (Read 2628 times)
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« on: January 10, 2022, 10:14:18 PM »

Denying trans kids medical care that drastically reduces suicide rates is monstrous. The legislators who vote for this will have blood on their hands.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »

It’s misleading to say “medically necessary” in this context; the headline makes it sound like they would force doctors at the ER to not save the lives of dying patients simply because they are trans. That’s not the case at all. This is just another ban on childhood medical transition. The argument that it is “medically necessary” rests on the assumption that not allowing underage medical transition would necessarily drive trans-identified youth to suicide. Perhaps a fair argument, but it’s not like not having access to these treatments would directly cause people’s bodies to stop functioning as would, say, banning diabetics from access to insulin. The bill also would not ban trans-identified youth from having health insurance, only not require providers to cover gender transition.

I don’t agree with the bill and despise Savannah Maddox. But argue against what it actually says, don’t make it sound worse than it actually is and then attack that strawman because it’s easier.
This bill is going to drive many trans kids to suicide, and will seriously harm the mental health of even more. Debating whether "medically necessary" is technically accurate doesn't change anything.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 02:15:23 PM »

Where are THG, OSR, Mr. Reactionary, BigSerg, and all the other Republican hacks of Atlas?
The Democrats and left-leaning independents who say they're  fine with trans people so long as they don't "overstep their bounds" by pushing for electorally unpopular "childhood medical transitions" and "genital bigotry" are also nowhere to be found.
Believing that children shouldn’t be allowed to go through gender reassignment surgery isn’t the same as believing that trans people should be denied healthcare
No one is giving kids SRS. The only medical treatment a 12 year old trans kid is likely to get is puberty blockers, which are safe and entirely reversible.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 05:49:27 PM »

Although I do believe anything can be covered by insurance providers if they wish to, I don't see the reason why a health insurance provided would need to cover something that isn't treating any disorder or illness.
Many of us are incapable of living a normal life without HRT.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 12:44:32 AM »

Where are THG, OSR, Mr. Reactionary, BigSerg, and all the other Republican hacks of Atlas?
The Democrats and left-leaning independents who say they're  fine with trans people so long as they don't "overstep their bounds" by pushing for electorally unpopular "childhood medical transitions" and "genital bigotry" are also nowhere to be found.
Believing that children shouldn’t be allowed to go through gender reassignment surgery isn’t the same as believing that trans people should be denied healthcare
Not only do you not know anything about trans healthcare, you also don't care. You pretend to care in this thread so you can dunk on conservatives, but the minute that your sensibilities are offended by what trans healthcare actually entails, you're back on the side as conservatives, denying people healthcare. You are not an ally.
I pretty much fully support trans rights for adults (with the exception of stuff like female trans competing in female sports), but I don’t think that anyone below the age of consent should be able to transition. Sorry if I’m not hackish enough for you
You don't know what a transition is. Minors are not given surgeries, and very few minors are given HRT — the lucky ones who do get HRT earlier are people who have been on puberty blockers for a while, and/or are over 16 and have parental consent.  Primarily, trans youth take puberty blockers. Starting this process as a minor, I e., before the completion of puberty, guarantees the most effective, least dysphoric, least expensive transition  possible.

If you support trans adults and you don't support trans youth, you don't actually support trans people; you're not qualifie to wag your finger at conservatives who are at least open about their transphobia when your position is not actually much different where it actually matters. Forcing a minor who knows they want to transition to complete puberty before they can start transitioning is cruel.

I think that 16 would be a reasonable minimum age to start taking any kind of transition medicine, including puberty blockers. If that's supposedly too late then I don't know what to say other than it's ultimately more nature's fault than anyone else's. It's a fact of life that the brain develops along with the rest of the body during puberty, and before that happens we're simply not developed enough to make responsible long-term decisions. I think it's just an issue of whether or not you're willing to rewrite what risks a kid is allowed to accept, and I don't think that's appropriate to do.
It has been explained to you multiple times that puberty blockers are extremely low risk, and the to the anguish and potential suicide risk caused by forcing trans youth to go through the wrong puberty is massive. Why do you continue to die on this hill?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies