Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:20:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky bill would ban physicians from giving medically necessary care to transgender youth  (Read 2638 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 10, 2022, 09:27:54 PM »

Ah sh**t, here we go again. Considering Arkansas set the model, I suspect they'll win out this time.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 10:22:41 PM »

The legislators who vote for this will have blood on their hands.
That's the idea.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:35:05 PM »

I just hope when this passes--when--it doesn't give my state's GOP any ideas when they take back the veto-proof majority this year, because I really don't want to have to detransition, and I think I might have to if I can't afford hormones because the state won't let my insurance cover them.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 01:38:36 PM »

HRT/SRS for gender dysphoria is only "medicine" under a radical activist definition.  There is no other body integrity disorder we "treat" by mutilating or chemically altering normal human anatomy.  If gender dysphoria is a disease of the mind, then it should be treated as such.   

Making access to HRT/SRS the end-all, be-all of trans advocacy is a weird erasure of the overwhelming majority of trans people, both today and historically, who never medically transition.  It's also a fundamental betrayal of the supposedly-axiomatic principle that gender be decoupled from sex.  If the two are distinct, then why do we need to change people's sexual anatomy in order to affirm their gender? 

We are quickly barreling towards a future where gender non-conforming young people are told they ought to reject their bodies in order to better live-up to traditional gender stereotypes.  For some kids it is already here.  That's a future that's worse-off for everybody, queer or not. 
Maybe you're right and I am just a radical activist, but just because my experiences (such as how wrong it felt to have so much testosterone in my blood or even just sit with my genitalia hanging between my legs, how right it felt once I started HRT or went to see a surgeon) are not universal doesn't mean they're rare enough to justify pulling the plug on them. If someone doesn't want to medically transition, they don't have to.

And frankly, if "traditional gender stereotypes" are the reason I've "rejected my body", then I'm not doing a very good job of living up to them.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 08:00:14 AM »

HRT/SRS for gender dysphoria is only "medicine" under a radical activist definition.  There is no other body integrity disorder we "treat" by mutilating or chemically altering normal human anatomy.  If gender dysphoria is a disease of the mind, then it should be treated as such.   

Making access to HRT/SRS the end-all, be-all of trans advocacy is a weird erasure of the overwhelming majority of trans people, both today and historically, who never medically transition.  It's also a fundamental betrayal of the supposedly-axiomatic principle that gender be decoupled from sex.  If the two are distinct, then why do we need to change people's sexual anatomy in order to affirm their gender? 

We are quickly barreling towards a future where gender non-conforming young people are told they ought to reject their bodies in order to better live-up to traditional gender stereotypes.  For some kids it is already here.  That's a future that's worse-off for everybody, queer or not. 
Maybe you're right and I am just a radical activist, but just because my experiences (such as how wrong it felt to have so much testosterone in my blood or even just sit with my genitalia hanging between my legs, how right it felt once I started HRT or went to see a surgeon) are not universal doesn't mean they're rare enough to justify pulling the plug on them. If someone doesn't want to medically transition, they don't have to.
How tf does one “feel testosterone in their blood”?
Well, I couldn't really feel the testosterone in my blood per se, the description was more to contrast with the feeling of how right it felt once I started getting more estrogen into my blood.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies