Okay let me get this straight : Drivers's liscenses don't count as Voter iDs ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:44:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Okay let me get this straight : Drivers's liscenses don't count as Voter iDs ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Okay let me get this straight : Drivers's liscenses don't count as Voter iDs ?  (Read 583 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 13, 2022, 06:26:24 PM »

This sounds very very stupid. I know. But I personally believed that my drivers liscense, was my ID for anything, Voting included. I don't know if I missed a detail or two. Help me out here ?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2022, 06:31:15 PM »

Not sure what you're referring to. They always have in my state.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 06:32:44 PM »

Then what's the issue with requiring new voter ids ?

Did I miss anything ?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 06:54:02 PM »

Did I miss anything ?

Do you have a citation for this?  I haven't heard anything remotely like this.

Are you perhaps referring to the transition to "Real ID" driver's licenses, which require extra documentation to verify your identity?  These will be required for all adults traveling by air starting in May 2023.  Georgia moved to Real ID several years ago (IIRC it was the first state to do so) but I believe some states are just now getting there.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 06:57:39 PM »

Did I miss anything ?

You missed that GOP is evil and racist, and therefore requiring ID to vote is evil and racist.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2022, 07:03:47 PM »

You missed that millions of people don't have driver's licenses because we live in cities and have no reason to drive vehicles like you testosterone-fueled savages. I would theorize that people without driver's licenses are disproportionately represented in cities like Washington DC.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 07:08:12 PM »

You missed that millions of people don't have driver's licenses because we live in cities and have no reason to drive vehicles like you testosterone-fueled savages. I would theorize that people without driver's licenses are disproportionately represented in cities like Washington DC.

Oh.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 07:20:19 PM »

Did I miss anything ?

You missed that GOP is evil and racist, and therefore requiring ID to vote is evil and racist.

You missed that Democrats left that position behind in the 2010s, just like Republicans left behind their opposition to the Affordable Care Act
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »

Did I miss anything ?

You missed that Democrats left that position behind in the 2010s, just like Republicans left behind their opposition to the Affordable Care Act

Clearly, jojoju is referencing to this thread (What is the Democratic argument against Voting ID?) where bunch of people pretends ID's is something something Jim Crow.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2022, 07:50:15 PM »

Did I miss anything ?

Clearly, jojoju is referencing to this thread (What is the Democratic argument against Voting ID?) where bunch of people pretends ID's is something something Jim Crow.

This Putin apologist is seriously commenting on democracy?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 08:14:49 AM »
« Edited: January 14, 2022, 08:21:30 AM by parochial boy »

Did I miss anything ?

Because the state does not make it its business to ensure that everybody has an ID, which means that many people don't.

Or more to the point, not only is the cost of one going to be an issue for someone with a low to very low income. Even then, someone who for whatever reason is in a precarious life situation, for example has experienced periods of homelesness, is going to have a lot of trouble even getting hold of an ID because it requires getting hold of the right documentation - a birth certificate, an address. The end effect is that is prohibitively hard for these people to get hold of ID and they wind up effectively disenfranchised.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 09:32:38 AM »

The REAL ID act is absolutely ridiculous. It's been delayed time after time, but I just bring my passport on domestic flights now to save the hassle of thinking about it.
It's hilarious how many times it has been delayed. With the way COVID is going, I would not be at all surprised to see that given as an excuse for delaying it again later this year or early 2023.

The quality of ID cards in most states is hilariously bad, too. Anyone who has had an ID card issued in another country will know exactly what I mean.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 02:45:30 PM »

Can you please link the story in your OP, regarding what you are talking about.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 05:36:54 PM »

Not being able to go more than a few miles from my house without buying a ticket to take a predetermined route at a predetermined time sounds like prison.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 06:05:20 PM »

A driver's license or an official state ID card (which might be available to people who cannot drive or are priced out of driving a car) has typically been the most widely-distributed form of identification. We do not yet have internal passports which would be appropriate if we had checkpoints at state lines... I'm not sure that we want those.

The definitive proof of personal identity has typically been a signature for the purposes of signing a contract to get something. There were only two signatures that I ever found easy to forge, but those were of my parents. They would have caught me if I had signed either of their names on a credit application for a big-ticket purchase such as a car. A signature was adequate for voting or signing other documents such as deeds when photography did not exist or was prohibitively expensive for banal use.

A signature remains definitive evidence of identity. There might be hundreds of thousands of people named "Pedro Martinez" in America, but only one of them is the Hall of Fame pitcher. Signatures can identify everyone using that name. For this I am picking on Hispanics for having relatively few common surnames. It's even more blatant for Koreans and Korean-Americans. Which "John Kim"? A signature, again, is definitive.

Signatures are reflections of personality, which fosters the science and pseudoscience  both known as "graphology".  They rarely change much over time, but they do. At one point I started using a (Greek) epsilon instead of the more common "loop" e so that I could avoid having my signature confused with the very common surname "Brown".  But that begins at a certain time. It would be possible to see my signature from forty years ago suggesting the same person that I am now, except that the subtle changes would indicate that one was done forty years before the other. (My signature connects my given name, middle initial, and last name through loops; it is conventional but heavy and fast, so it is nearly impossible to fake. It's the pretentiously-eccentric squiggly line that is easy to fake, as when the US government was faking Nazi signatures (typically use a squiggle that ends in "mann") for forging documents for infiltrating German police organizations. A surprise from a book to that effect was that the Gestapo was riddled with "enemy" agents.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 05:24:38 AM »

Not being able to go more than a few miles from my house without buying a ticket to take a predetermined route at a predetermined time sounds like prison.
What are you even talking about? "Prison" is being on some huge Interstate and moving at 5mph. Driving is literally the last resort method of transportation. Extremely inefficient use of time, dangerous, and stressful. If you live in a city, you shouldn't have to go more than a few miles (or 1 mile, really, in a real city) to do day-to-day errands anyway.

I only drive on weekends - less traffic, so you can actually get things done. No chance in hell I'm ever driving to the office unless absolutely necessary. I would never even think about living or working somewhere where I had to drive to work, either. Been there, done that, wasted enough of my life.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 08:48:58 AM »

Lol you don't need Voter ID to VBM stop worrying about it just VBM and you won't have to worry about showing ID and mail your ballot at a mail box where it's more secure than a drop box
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »

What are you even talking about? "Prison" is being on some huge Interstate and moving at 5mph. Driving is literally the last resort method of transportation. Extremely inefficient use of time, dangerous, and stressful. If you live in a city, you shouldn't have to go more than a few miles (or 1 mile, really, in a real city) to do day-to-day errands anyway.

I only drive on weekends - less traffic, so you can actually get things done. No chance in hell I'm ever driving to the office unless absolutely necessary. I would never even think about living or working somewhere where I had to drive to work, either. Been there, done that, wasted enough of my life.

I walk to work every day. I meant to say I can’t imagine not having a car for when I need it or want to leave my small city.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies