What prevented India/China from being Christianized or Islamicized? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:29:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What prevented India/China from being Christianized or Islamicized? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What prevented India/China from being Christianized or Islamicized?  (Read 1921 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 10, 2022, 05:52:25 PM »

What prevented India/China from being Christianized or Islamicized, unlike most of the world?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 12:24:18 PM »

Having entrenched political bodies against such a change that could meaningfully defend their turf for centuries.
I don't think so. India was ruled by the Muslim Mughal Emperors for centuries. And the Chinese dynasties weren't always strong, and their native religions weren't evangelical religions themselves.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 12:41:27 PM »

Having entrenched political bodies against such a change that could meaningfully defend their turf for centuries.
I don't think so. India was ruled by the Muslim Mughal Emperors for centuries. And the Chinese dynasties weren't always strong, and their native religions weren't evangelical religions themselves.
The local Hindu leaders managed to have autonomy and due to their numbers and the diversity of religious thought survive these centuries while resisting the central government. Same in China.
And this just didn't exist anywhere else in the world, that was Christianized/Islamicized?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 08:02:38 PM »

Tell me you know nothing of the history of India without telling me that you know nothing of the history of India.
I've lived in India.

It obviously has Muslim influences (and to some extent Christian influences, especially in Goa).

But India was not Islamicized/Christianized in the same way Europe/Americas/Russia/Australia/NorthAfrica/MiddleEast were.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 09:23:15 PM »

I and this thread is asking you this question

To which I responded with a rhetorical question, because this is very much in the territory of 'extremely basic knowledge'. There are approximately half a billion Muslims living in the Subcontinent, incidentally; about a third of all Muslims on Earth.
And yet India is not Islamicized. Why?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 10:44:44 PM »

It’s rather self-explanatory, but I’ll explain to make it clearer for you. The majority of India did not convert to Islam, it was just localized mostly to the parts that became Pakistan and Bangladesh. Not even close to the entire country. Why wasn’t India “Islamicized” like Iran/Persia, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Syria, Central Asia, North Africa, etc?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies