South Dakota Republican Senator admits election was not faudulent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 05:38:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Dakota Republican Senator admits election was not faudulent
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: South Dakota Republican Senator admits election was not faudulent  (Read 610 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2022, 02:21:37 AM »

Not too surprising, honestly. The context makes it clear he couldn't avoid the subject, and he voted to certify. The GOP senators are actually sane for the most part about the Big Lie - the problem is the GOP representatives. Out of 50 GOP senators, 7 (14%) actually supported impeachment and just 8 (16%) supported the Big Lie (i.e., voted to overturn; they disproportionately came from southern states - 6 of the 8 come from states that used to allow slavery; one of the other two comes from WY, America's reddest state). Out of 211 GOP representatives, 139 (66%) supported the Big Lie and just 10 (less than 5%) voted to impeach. I don't know exactly why this is, though probably because Senators are generally more dignified and less wildly partisan than their House counterparts (on the other end of the spectrum, you don't see Democratic senators calling for the police being abolished). They also seem to oppose objecting to election results - in 2000, some 20 House Democrats tried overturning FL's 'results,' while 0 Senate Democrats did.

Bold part: Gerrymandered super-safe R districts, while senators always need to win an entire state which also consists of lots of Democrats and Independents?

Lots of Republicans in swing districts voted to object too, and 2/9 Biden district Republicans objected. The main difference seems to be that McCarthy objected while McConnell told Senate Republicans it was a stupid idea and they shouldn't indulge it.

Yeah more or less this, McConnell is an actually strong leader who knows how to pick his fights. McCarthy is a total clown who has absolutely no control over his caucus. I'm already dreading his Speakership for the clown show that it'll be.
Well, the last time McCarthy was in line to become speaker they hauled in Paul Ryan instead. Maybe something similar will happen again.

Any ideas as to whom? Also, Paul Ryan has basically vanished off the face of the earth.
Trump himself, but I predict that Trump really isn't interested as he would have to put in some actual work. Unfortunately, I think they are stuck with McCarthy.

What happened to Steve Scalise again?  He's always been up in those echelons.
Scalise is still the #2 republican in the house, but I doubt that he would challenge McCarthy. I mean, most of the time these hierarchies are preserved over time and the house minority leader is elected speaker when the power shifts. But who knows. McCarthy really is a very weak leader, but on the other hand, I'm not sure how attractive a post this even is in the current iteration of the GQP. Some people with leadership ambition may bide their time and see if there could possibly be a return to sanity in the cards in a few years time (very doubtful).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2022, 11:45:07 PM »

Not too surprising, honestly. The context makes it clear he couldn't avoid the subject, and he voted to certify. The GOP senators are actually sane for the most part about the Big Lie - the problem is the GOP representatives. Out of 50 GOP senators, 7 (14%) actually supported impeachment and just 8 (16%) supported the Big Lie (i.e., voted to overturn; they disproportionately came from southern states - 6 of the 8 come from states that used to allow slavery; one of the other two comes from WY, America's reddest state). Out of 211 GOP representatives, 139 (66%) supported the Big Lie and just 10 (less than 5%) voted to impeach. I don't know exactly why this is, though probably because Senators are generally more dignified and less wildly partisan than their House counterparts (on the other end of the spectrum, you don't see Democratic senators calling for the police being abolished). They also seem to oppose objecting to election results - in 2000, some 20 House Democrats tried overturning FL's 'results,' while 0 Senate Democrats did.

Bold part: Gerrymandered super-safe R districts, while senators always need to win an entire state which also consists of lots of Democrats and Independents?

Lots of Republicans in swing districts voted to object too, and 2/9 Biden district Republicans objected. The main difference seems to be that McCarthy objected while McConnell told Senate Republicans it was a stupid idea and they shouldn't indulge it.

Yeah more or less this, McConnell is an actually strong leader who knows how to pick his fights. McCarthy is a total clown who has absolutely no control over his caucus. I'm already dreading his Speakership for the clown show that it'll be.
Well, the last time McCarthy was in line to become speaker they hauled in Paul Ryan instead. Maybe something similar will happen again.

Any ideas as to whom? Also, Paul Ryan has basically vanished off the face of the earth.
Trump himself, but I predict that Trump really isn't interested as he would have to put in some actual work. Unfortunately, I think they are stuck with McCarthy.

No, they can go with Scalise. He's Trumpish enough as well, having voted to overturn and everything (and he has what Trump described in American Carnage as 'street cred' for getting shot back in 2017 at the congressional baseball game).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies