Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Signup/Discussion)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:28:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Signup/Discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Eagle in Peril: A 2004 Election Game (Signup/Discussion)  (Read 2996 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2022, 04:17:38 PM »
« edited: January 17, 2022, 04:03:14 PM by KaiserDave »

[1]

The death of President George W. Bush was a shocking and horrible surprise, just as the September 11th Terror Attacks had been almost two years prior. Another gut punch to a nation once again brought low. It had come in the heavy month of May, 2003. On May First, Bush had declared victory against the Baathist Hussein regime in Iraq, with American military might conquering the middle east's biggest army in a few months. On the same day, Congress had passed the President's tax relief package, Bush was out walking in Camp David when the news had came, he was due to be headed back to Washington soon to celebrate the passage of his principle legislative achievement. That was when his heart stopped. Bush hadn't been drinking for decades, but it appeared his partying days had caught up to him. The nation entered a state of mourning for its Commander-in-Chief, who remained largely popular (with approvals near 60%). Vice President Cheney, a career bureaucrat and functionary who lacked the charisma and likability of the President nevertheless swore to "take up the solemn duty left by our dear departed President" and asked the nation to support him. He took up the banner left by President Bush, and began to lead America into the frightening new world of the 21st century.

On the political front, Dick Cheney had no interest in running for President, and he raised Arizona Senator Jon Kyl, who had great congressional relationships and gravitas, but no interest in the White House himself, to the Vice Presidency, leaving the race for the Republican nomination wide open in 2004, a race that was already underway. On the Democratic side, politicking and criticism of the administration and Republicans stopped in the weeks after Bush's death, only resuming in late June after the Presidential Funeral and Memorial, but there was a competitive race brewing on that side as well.

The long hard campaign season wasn't going to wait....

Welcome to Eagle in Peril! A Presidential election game. I was really drawn to the world of 2004, maybe just because I watched Oliver Stone's "W." recently, I don't know. But here we are. I'm aware the death of Bush was contrived, and I looked for a lot of ways to make it more in concert with the story, but the alternatives I examined were either even more stupid, or would have severely unbalanced the game towards the Republicans. Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to this game immensely.

The mechanics of this game will be somewhat similar to my previous Congressional game East of the Merrimack and will be different than what you'd expect from a presidential game. Endorsements will not be given out to those who ask for them first, rather they will be given to those who gear their campaigns towards the endorsement of those individuals, groups, etc. You may request, but I expect that to be worked into your schedule. There will be news stories you are expected to react to, this is not a game where you just post your schedules and the occasional speech in a vacuum, you will need to react to the world around you. There will be debates, but I will try to avoid endless back and forth, that soaks up time pointlessly. Debates structure will be made clear at that time. And if it is not clear, all events up to the death of President Bush are exactly the same as they are in real life.

I am going to provide a list of playable characters on each side of the aisle. For now these are the only available ones, and if they are filled, or mostly filled, then I will listen to request, only you think I seriously omitted someone, or you just have a really good idea. I am bolding characters who I really need filled, so be a dear and fill them. I expect those to be applied for first. I will be granting characters largely on a first come, first serve basis, but, I will take your record of gameplay into account.

With that all said, here are the rules, more information, and the characters. If you have any questions, post them here.

Rules

1. No Violating the Rules of this Blog

2. No Powergaming, Metagaming, etc.

3. Be polite please Smiley , rudeness ain't needed. Be considerate and kind towards your fellow players and blog posters.

4. Be reasonable and stick to realism.

5. If you commit to playing a big role, please stay active. And lengthy and complete inactivity without any message or reasoning will result in removal.

6. No cheating, I don't know how you would but don't do it

7. Your portrayal of characters, and this is very important, must be well rounded and sensible.

7. Have fun!

8. If you have any suggestions, please provide!

Info

1. Expect everything you would usually expect from an election game, schedules, debates, interviews, etc etc. But there will also be unique things that I am still ironing out to really shine on the unique setting of the game.

2. We'll see how time works, but the in game time will start in the immediate aftermath of the Presidential funeral. Of course detail is always nice and helpful on exploratory committees, showing interest, etc etc.

3. There will be news dice rolls, I'll lay out the specifics later but expect something along the lines of rolling a 1-3 you get bad news, 8-10 you get good news. 4-7 is nothing. News will never be a campaign ender, I am strongly against deciding games by randomness

4. Detail is always rewarded, but more casual players should not live in fear

5. There will be various kinds of national news coverage.

6. Try and be somewhat detailed in where you are campaigning.

7. News from the outside world will be mostly the same as RL, perhaps with some deviation, don't expect any huge surprises, like the occupation of Iraq being a smooth success.

8. Something else if I remember!

Available Characters

Democrats
Massachusetts Senator John F. Kerry: Orwell
Vermont Governor Howard B. Dean: Alcibiades
North Carolina Senator John R. Edwards:
Former House Minority Leader Richard A. Gephardt:

Former Supreme Allied Commander Europe Wesley K. Clark: GoTfan
Connecticut Senator Joseph I. Lieberman: NYE
Delaware Senator Joe R. Biden: John King Wannabe
Ohio Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich:
Reverend Alfred C. Sharpton:
Washington Governor Gary F. Locke: Peebs
Florida Senator Daniel R. "Bob" Graham:
Former Illinois Senator Carol M. Braun: Mycool

Republicans
Secretary of State Colin L. Powell: FalterinArc
Secretary of Homeland Security Tom J. Ridge: Kuumo
Florida Governor John E. "Jeb" Bush: RGM
Arizona Senator John S. McCain: Brother Jonathan
Former New York City Mayor Rudolph W. L. Giuliani: GregtheGreat

Virginia Senator George F. Allen:
Texas Congressman Ron E. Paul: NOTTYLER
Kansas Senator Sam D. Brownback:
Arkansas Governor Michael D. Huckabee: Joshva
New York Governor George E. Pataki: Ishan
Texas Senator Kay B. Hutchinson:
Reverend Marion G. "Pat" Robertson: OBD

[1] Wikimedia Commons (the music is not an endorsement of the film from which it originates, it's just good music)

Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 04:17:50 PM »

Pataki, please.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 04:20:23 PM »

Hillary Clinton please
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 04:23:26 PM »

Clinton isn't being offered, simply put she is too over powered, it took a once in a lifetime charisma machine to defeat her, and even then it was extremely close. Trying to be realistic. But we'd love to have you.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 04:29:13 PM »

Clinton isn't being offered, simply put she is too over powered, it took a once in a lifetime charisma machine to defeat her, and even then it was extremely close. Trying to be realistic. But we'd love to have you.

Then I'll take Joe Biden
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 04:31:01 PM »

Then I'll take Joe Biden
If you want him you may have him, but I have added female candidates to both parties.
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »

Then I'll take Joe Biden
If you want him you may have him, but I have added female candidates to both parties.

I'll stick with Biden
RGM2609
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 04:35:16 PM »

JEB!, please
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 04:35:22 PM »

If you could please not quote the entire first post, it's entirely unnecessary. Buchanan isn't offered at this time.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 04:49:30 PM »

Is Rudy Giuliani taken?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »

No, but if you want him I hope you are willing to be active.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »

You can have him, with the usual cautions on realism
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2022, 05:14:28 PM »

I personally would also prefer Hillary, but assuming she's unavailable, I would be interested in Joe Lieberman (who was left off this list, why exactly?)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2022, 05:16:19 PM »

I’ll be as active as I can be
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2022, 06:49:23 PM »

I personally would also prefer Hillary, but assuming she's unavailable, I would be interested in Joe Lieberman (who was left off this list, why exactly?)
You can have Lieberman
Mycool

Political Matrix
E: -4.58, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 07:41:20 PM »

can I claim Carol Moseley Braun?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2022, 07:42:16 PM »

Yes you may. Going forward I'd like to see interest in bolded candidates
John King wannabe
AshtonShabazz

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2022, 07:47:05 PM »

Depending on the number of people who show interest, when can we expect a gameplay thread?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2022, 07:47:29 PM »

Hypothetically, I'd be interested in the character of Colin Powell, if that's possible. (If not Powell then I won't play, but as Powell, I'd probably play though not 100% sure at the moment.)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 07:55:33 PM »

Depending on the number of people who show interest, when can we expect a gameplay thread?
Probably before the end of the week
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 08:04:55 PM »

Hypothetically, I'd be interested in the character of Colin Powell, if that's possible. (If not Powell then I won't play, but as Powell, I'd probably play though not 100% sure at the moment.)

UPDATE: I'm willing to play as Collin Powell if allowed to do so.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2022, 08:31:53 PM »

Unfortunately I right now have a few people with more extensive gameplay records looking at Powell. I'll update you if that changes.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2022, 08:51:18 PM »

Unfortunately I right now have a few people with more extensive gameplay records looking at Powell. I'll update you if that changes.

In that case I can sit this one out; I'm fine not playing. I will instead focus on Flip the 6th and Flip the 8th for the time being.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2022, 09:35:31 PM »

Requesting Pat Robertson
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix