"Christian" overtakes "Protestant" label among younger Christians (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  "Christian" overtakes "Protestant" label among younger Christians (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Christian" overtakes "Protestant" label among younger Christians  (Read 1443 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: January 11, 2022, 08:10:05 PM »
« edited: January 11, 2022, 08:16:04 PM by Statilius the Epicurean »

This is funny to me because many people here (west coast of Scotland) would be more likely to identify as Protestant than think of themselves as Presbyterian or even Christian, for obvious, uh, sectarian reasons.

The trend in the US must be very much because Catholicism became destigmatised in wider American society and as WASPs lost cultural hegemony.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:42:54 PM »

I also think it's important to remember the US has not had any real sort of religious sectarianism for like well over 50 years now. Comparing it to Europe isn't even apples to oranges, more something like apples to steak. Europeans acting surprised that religious identity in the US doesn't work exactly like it does in their country (not specifically referring to anything in this thread) has always perplexed me, it'd be like someone from a country with proportional representation being surprised that a country with a FPTP electoral system doesn't have proportional numbers of seats to percentage of votes cast like in their country.

You seem unusually triggered by this thread.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2022, 12:09:46 AM »

Sorry. The above was a bit trollish and uncalled for. I apologise.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:40:00 PM »

This is like asking if you live in America, Europe, or the Earth.  It doesn’t tell you much other than which label comes most easily to people.

Your answer to that question would tell you a lot, in fact. Identifying as "European" or "British" or "Scottish" or even "citizen of the world" is generally a major indicator of one's sociopolitical identity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies