AP: How college and non-college whites voted in each state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:59:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  AP: How college and non-college whites voted in each state
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AP: How college and non-college whites voted in each state  (Read 1242 times)
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2022, 07:02:42 PM »
« edited: January 05, 2022, 07:06:26 PM by Ferguson97 »

Quite a few surprises here.

Montana and Kansas college whites are surprisingly more Democratic than I thought. Georgia college whites are WAY more Republican than I thought. Black voters must have come out in full force for Democrats in that case.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 07:37:42 PM »

Arizona is pretty surprising. It’s crazy to think that as recently as 2012 many Midwestern states (for sure Indiana and Wisconsin and Ohio and maybe others) had college educated whites vote more republican than non college whites.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2022, 09:50:04 PM »

Demographics have always been such in Georgia that if republicans fell under the 71% mark with whites they would lose the state . Also keep in mind that young white voters in Georgia are significantly more republican than young white  voters in Kentucky but the Georgia number is a catastrophe for Georgia Republicans(60%)
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 10:41:38 PM »

Georgia college whites are WAY more Republican than I thought. Black voters must have come out in full force for Democrats in that case.

There was also increased turnout among Latino and Asian voters in the greater Atlanta area.

source- it seems like non-college whites in FL were more D than college (+) whites.
Cyrusman
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 12:45:50 PM »

Demographics have always been such in Georgia that if republicans fell under the 71% mark with whites they would lose the state . Also keep in mind that young white voters in Georgia are significantly more republican than young white  voters in Kentucky but the Georgia number is a catastrophe for Georgia Republicans(60%)

Why is this? Is it because there is such a high black population in Georgia that when they vote 100% democrat you need at least 71% of the white vote to vote Republican?
Cashew
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 05:21:57 PM »

What's up with Oklahoma?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 08:01:56 PM »

Montana is really surprising.

Trying to figure out which states had the most/least (or reverse) gap (and why). RI looks to have one of the smallest.
Cyrusman
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 07:23:30 PM »

What’s up with non college graduates in California? Why are they so liberal?
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 07:57:30 PM »

Montana college whites being blue is a bit surprising, but it makes sense. It's a very white state, meaning the overwhelming majority of both party bases are necessarily white. So it would make sense that college whites and most minorities vote D, non-college whites vote R, but the latter group outnumbers the former.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 08:00:14 PM »

It seems like the pattern is pretty clear - the bluer a state, the more likely non-college whites are to vote blue, and vice versa for college whites. CA seems to fit into the general pattern. The major exception is the south, especially Georgia, but that's because racial polarization is much higher in the deep south than anywhere else.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2022, 11:03:49 PM »

FWIW, the one non-college White I know who moved to California is indeed quite liberal.  Kind of calls the "lost young person" with liberal attitudes.  "Non-college White" doesn't have to be someone who never left his small town and decided to work construction.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2022, 11:11:46 PM »

I'm sure there would still be a big divide, but I think it'd be fascinating to see this map by education AND age.  In my personal experience, White Baby Boomers who have a college degree are still more Republican than the Millennials I know who don't (though this is obviously skewed by my having lived in Iowa City and Chicago, it still should drag the Baby Boomer sample left, too).
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2022, 08:18:03 AM »

It’s a group that includes a lot of actors, people who work in the film industry and service sector employees, all groups that tend to be more liberal regardless of education level. I’m more surprised about Washington State honestly.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 06:29:54 AM »

FWIW, the one non-college White I know who moved to California is indeed quite liberal.  Kind of calls the "lost young person" with liberal attitudes.  "Non-college White" doesn't have to be someone who never left his small town and decided to work construction.

Similar to my thoughts as well. 
satsuma
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -2.61

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2022, 02:28:23 AM »

I'm not sure I believe it, but I believe it's close. The realignment is certainly happening in Oklahoma, with Oklahoma and Tulsa Counties being noticeably to the right of ancestral-Dem rural counties in Trump elections.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies