Japan 2022 Upper House elections July 10 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:29:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan 2022 Upper House elections July 10 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Japan 2022 Upper House elections July 10  (Read 28586 times)
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« on: April 04, 2022, 03:52:41 PM »

Say the JRP suddenly found itself in charge of the Japanese government. What would they change?

Everything outside of foreign policy will become more decentralized.  JRP believes in "prefecture rights" so if JRP were to become the ruling party the prefecture governors and prefecture assemblies will become much more powerful and a good part of the central government budget will be devolved down to them.  Assuming JRP came to power sweeping Western Japan plus various urban centers in the East which is their long term electoral plan, then I can also see JRP moving to de facto divide Japan up into 2 or 3 zones with Osaka being the de facto capital of West Japan and Tokyo being de facto capital of East Japan.  I can even see a Middle Japan zone where Nagoya becomes the de facto capital.   Deep down JRP does not like the central role Tokyo plays in economic and political life and anything to shift power away from Tokyo will be on JRP's agenda.

A more aggressive foreign policy will be something JRP will continue to centralize and push for with higher levels of funding for the military.

This assumes that a JRP that wins power will still care about regionalism. Spoiler alert: They won't. They only care about regionalism now because they're an Osaka-based party who wants to have more power to play in their own sandbox. If they were winning nationally, regionalism would no longer be appealing to them because it would just preserve the power of local LDP and/or CDP administrations in prefectures JRP didn't control.

The JRP's governance would be literally indistinguishable from the LDP's, even in terms of military issues IMO, although that is less certain.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 03:09:49 PM »

The rapid fall of the JPY has Japanese TV shocked at how expensive a bagel and coffee are in NYC

Japan these days pretty much has the lowest prices in the developed world.

I listened to an Asahi podcast on this just the other day that had the same tone. Japanese people seem to think Tokyo is an expensive city, but I guess that's also a global misconception as most Americans would probably say the same.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 10:39:00 AM »

Far-Right 参政党(PP) (Participation Party) seems to continue to gain steam.  The number of people that attend their rallies and watch online videos continues to rise rapidly.  There is growing speculation that they could be in a position to win a PR seat which is quite impressive they since have PNHK and HRP (which itself is Far-Right) as protest parties to peel off the anti-system vote as well as other Far-Right parties like 維新政党・新風 (IPS), 日本第一党(JFP) and 新党くにもり(NPC) in the fray to capture the Far-Right PR vote.

PP, sensing their momentum, seems to have gone all out and nominated candidates in pretty much all prefectures which says a lot about their fundraising capabilities.  

With this in mind, it would be useful to take a closer look at PP's platform.  

Their website is https://www.sanseito.jp/

and their logo is

First, PP or Participation Party is the name I made up for them.  They do not have an English name and in theory, their party name written in English is the phonetic version of 参政党 which is Sanseito.  参政党 means Participation Party which is why I prefer that for now until they ever come up with their official English name.

Their key platform points
a) Dramatic reduction of immigration and no voting rights for immigrants
b) Remilitariaton to be a part of an anti-PRC alliance in East Asia
c) Overturn the post-WWII international system with Japan being a full-blown equal to USA
d) Anti-Vax
e) Reduction of the power of banks with the promotion of digital currency and cryptos
f) Dramatic political decentralization with push for prefecture and even township rights (their "Do it yourself" slogan is part of this push)
g) Increased power of the Emperor (but not to pre-1945 levels)
h) Return Japanese culture to a pre-1945 era which an emphasis on pushing out foreign influence (especially removing the Western woke ideas)

If you watch their stump speeches it is clear that what is getting them to catch fire is the reduction of banking power, decentralization and their anti-Western woke stance.  Their success is a success of Right populism.  I can see them being a threat to JRP and could eat into the JRP vote.

Kind of funny that they emphasize eliminating Western influence on Japan but then have English (not just カタカナ言葉, but actual English) on their logo.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 06:47:42 PM »

BOJ intervenes to stop the falling JPY, again.

Boo, let it get to 200:1 before my trip in April!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies