. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:49:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  . (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: .  (Read 2053 times)
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« on: January 02, 2022, 07:09:51 AM »
« edited: January 02, 2022, 07:54:46 AM by Colin Robinson Frank »

1.Some of it could be because religious viewers have segregated themselves with religious themed television networks. To be sure, I don't know that these stations do any drama or comedy programs, but there is religious television.

2.Prior to Cable television starting sometime in the 1970s, there were initially just two major networks (NBC and CBS) and two smaller networks (ABC and Dumont) and in bigger cities an independent television station.  (It was these independent stations that carried syndicated programs like The Adventures of Superman, the first hit syndicated program.)

During this time, from 1955-1956 there was a highly regarded religious themed show that aired on ABC called 'Crossroads.'  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossroads_(1955_TV_series)

Many of the episodes are available on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDWi_wTtu9w&list=PLTKmp3L0wn-VajWnU7rfwklcKAfHxtgjW&index=2

3.Similar to Crossroads in being an anthology series was the program that was initially called The Fisher Family that aired on the Dumont Network and then on ABC from 1952-1956.  It then became known as This is the Life with new episodes airing in syndication on independent television stations and ran until 1988, I believe on a religious themed network.

4.I'm not sure about the 1960s in terms of new explicit religious themed shows, but many Westerns in the 1950s and shows like The Twilight Zone and Star Trek in the 1960s certainly implicitly touched on many religious themes.

There have been more recent explicitly religious shows. In the 1970s Little House on the Prairies was a popular show although in many ways it essentially became a parody of itself as it became little more than a 'what disaster can befall the family this week?' spectacle.

Also in the 1970s though, the show MASH featured Father Mulcahey who was treated with respect and reverence.  

In the 1980s, Michael Landon who starred in Little House on the Prairies came back with Highway to Heaven.

In the 1990s there was Touched by an Angel, a rather straightforward show about Angels providing miracles, and, on the other side, a more complex show that was both praised and criticized by organized religion called Nothing Sacred that was created and developed by a Jesuit Priest.

In the 2000, continuing in that more religious but sometimes critical of organized religion theme was Joan of Arcadia.

This is not an exhaustive list of all explicit religious themed drama programs that have aired on network television, but it is many of the main ones.

1.Crossroads
2.The Fisher Family/This is the Life
3.Little House on the Prairies
4.Highway to Heaven
5.Touched by an Angel
6.Nothing Sacred
7.Joan of Arcadia

I'm not familiar with many new programs after the early 2000s and I know nothing about cable or streaming programs.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 01:06:39 AM »

I think I've said before that my favorite show is Survivor.  In recent years, there's been a lot of talk from Survivor fans about representation in casting, but that representation has not been extended to evangelical Christians.  I think the last contestant who was open about being an evangelical was Lauren O'Connell on Season 38 (three years ago).  And, the show didn't even really mention her faith, even though it apparently played a major role on the island, according to various contestants in interviews.  Whereas, in the old days of the show, they'd cast a lot more Christians and let their stories be told on the show.  Shan's faith was mentioned in Season 41, but it was a much more theologically progressive form of Christianity.

Now, I must acknowledge that Survivor has gone from a personal social experiment to a strategic game over the years.  But, in recent seasons, the show has gone back to addressing complex social issues and experiences in people's lives.  Having a few theologically and morally conservative evangelical Christians would enrich these conversations and allow viewers like me to see people who we can better relate to.

I think the skimpy attire of the Survivor contestants greatly limits the number of conservative Christians who would be willing to appear on the program.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 02:24:14 PM »

The Simpsons is and was the show that has the exploration of religion and belief at it's core. They go to church. Lisa embraced Buddism and Bart earned his soul. But again, thirty years ago they were attacked by some for being 'unChristian

I thought of The Simpsons last night when thinking about this thread, yes! Even the episode with Bart converting to Catholicism, which came at a fairly gimmicky time in the show's history, is a lot better than a similar plot would probably be in most other shows. And of course "Homer the Heretic" is an all-time classic, as is "In Marge We Trust".

My parents had never let I or my brother watch The Simpsons when we were kids (think 2000s). When I finally took it on myself to explore the canon last summer, I was struck by the show's religious content. Watching Bart feel like he wouldn't enter Heaven because he sold his soul had me internally screaming "What did they think they were 'protecting' us from!?"

Of course there's also, as Andrew points out, the episode where Lisa converts to Buddhism, which deals with the subject very well (including presenting Reverend Lovejoy as checked-out and hypocritical but in a sympathetic and even tragic way, something that the episode has in common with "In Marge We Trust"). This despite, again, coming at a period in the show's history where its credibility on subjects that weren't religion was already depleting fast; it of course has the Richard Gere cameo, increasing reliance on celebrity cameos having been one of the canaries in the coal mine for the show's decline.

Well, Lisa did check out Whiskey a God-God after all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies