. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:07:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  . (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: .  (Read 2061 times)
LabourJersey
United States

« on: January 01, 2022, 09:17:06 PM »

A major factor in that is how TV writers are an overwhelming secular group of people. Another factor is that even the writers and showrunners who are religious feel uncomfortable with presenting religion on the screen. Another factor is the unfortunate fact that many Americans view Christianity as having just 2 flavors: old-school Catholicism and bible-thumping evangelicalism.

I have noticed this before, since even TV shows that are explicitly about having faith and belief ignore organized religion in a very strange way. Ted Lasso is a good example--the tagline of the show is literally "Believe" but the topic of religious belief or anything related to it doesn't come up.

But some shows definitely focus on religion and spirituality and focus on it well. The 2nd season of Fleabag is a perfect example, and one of my favorite shows in the last few years.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:15:40 AM »

I have had this thought in the context of my being unable to relate to any character I have ever seen on TV. It's not that there's a lack of characters on television identified as Muslim (in fact, there are far more than the proportion of Muslims in the United States would suggest), but it appears to me that all of them are shown to be irreligious or in some significant way non-practicing. Maybe the intended purpose is to humanize those characters in the way that the writers know how, but its effect is to render those characters unrecognizable to me.

You see something similar in terms of the paucity of Mormon characters; there would be no way to guess from American non-sports television programming that there are as many Mormons in the United States as there are Jews. The sense I get is that for a character to be religiously secure forecloses on a great deal of dramatic potential and does not add anything useful in exchange.

That gets to the question of why it might be that religious characters could be difficult. My notion here (and this is speculative even compared to everything else) is that the sort of person who thinks in a serious way about the moral questions on which religion might have bearing is unlikely to turn to creating fiction if they have personal religious experience. More narrowly, I would think that it would be uncommon for religious people of this sort to become television writers. What leads me to believe this is that I have encountered very few fictional depictions (television or otherwise) of the experience of living with religious fate that have felt to me that they were based on any actual experiences on the part of the author. The Sopranos is an outlier in this respect; Carmela's religious experiences feel founded in real life.

The Sopranos does benefit from its religion being the one sort of religion that Hollywood has experience depicting. Since we've talked about Mad Men, we can bring up the one point that bothers the sort of person who posts on this site to no end: Peggy's family, despite being repeatedly identified as Norwegian, is shown to be Catholic. You can come up with ways to explain this away if you want, but it's something that does need to be explained away, and it suggests that that was the only kind of organized religion that the writers had any sense of how to depict.

This is pedantic, but it's clearly stated in Mad Men that Peggy's father was Norwegian and her mother is Irish Catholic.

You do bring up an interesting point as to whether Hollywood disproportionately depicts Catholicism over other Christian sects. Though I think a lot can be explained from the fact that the coastal cities have a lot of Catholics.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 09:37:05 AM »

I have had this thought in the context of my being unable to relate to any character I have ever seen on TV. It's not that there's a lack of characters on television identified as Muslim (in fact, there are far more than the proportion of Muslims in the United States would suggest), but it appears to me that all of them are shown to be irreligious or in some significant way non-practicing. Maybe the intended purpose is to humanize those characters in the way that the writers know how, but its effect is to render those characters unrecognizable to me.

You see something similar in terms of the paucity of Mormon characters; there would be no way to guess from American non-sports television programming that there are as many Mormons in the United States as there are Jews. The sense I get is that for a character to be religiously secure forecloses on a great deal of dramatic potential and does not add anything useful in exchange.

That gets to the question of why it might be that religious characters could be difficult. My notion here (and this is speculative even compared to everything else) is that the sort of person who thinks in a serious way about the moral questions on which religion might have bearing is unlikely to turn to creating fiction if they have personal religious experience. More narrowly, I would think that it would be uncommon for religious people of this sort to become television writers. What leads me to believe this is that I have encountered very few fictional depictions (television or otherwise) of the experience of living with religious fate that have felt to me that they were based on any actual experiences on the part of the author. The Sopranos is an outlier in this respect; Carmela's religious experiences feel founded in real life.

The Sopranos does benefit from its religion being the one sort of religion that Hollywood has experience depicting. Since we've talked about Mad Men, we can bring up the one point that bothers the sort of person who posts on this site to no end: Peggy's family, despite being repeatedly identified as Norwegian, is shown to be Catholic. You can come up with ways to explain this away if you want, but it's something that does need to be explained away, and it suggests that that was the only kind of organized religion that the writers had any sense of how to depict.

This is pedantic, but it's clearly stated in Mad Men that Peggy's father was Norwegian and her mother is Irish Catholic.

You do bring up an interesting point as to whether Hollywood disproportionately depicts Catholicism over other Christian sects. Though I think a lot can be explained from the fact that the coastal cities have a lot of Catholics.

As a Midwestern Protestant, I always find this hilarious.  The number of movie characters in rural Indiana who have a priest or something similar is such a comical East Coast perspective. Tongue

Fair point.

I guess there is a disconnect between the "Low Church" sensibilities of most US Protestants (to use an Anglican term) and the fact that the visual language of "High Church" is compelling in visual storytelling.

"Low Church" is centered around the belief that one does not need vestments, grand cathedrals, etc. to connect with God---one just needs faith and maybe people to guide you on that journey of faith. But it's more compelling in movies and TV to display visuals of faith that are totally different from the outside world--the kind you find in Catholicism, Orthodoxy, some kinds of Anglicanism, etc.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies