. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:10:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  . (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: .  (Read 2080 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« on: January 02, 2022, 11:47:12 AM »

An interesting example is The Good Place, which is a show literally about heaven and yet is deliberately secular and non-religious.

A major factor in that is how TV writers are an overwhelming secular group of people.

This is basically it.

Honestly, it likely comes down to it being more difficult for an irreligious person to relate or understand a character that's going through complicated religious struggles, but everyone can more or less follow when shows grapple with more universal or secular morality conflicts.

Sure, but the "universality" point can be made (with varying degrees of convincingness) about any writing focusing on anyone who isn't a heterosexual, able-bodied, agnostic or very vaguely Christian white man, and I think what Averroes is asking is why there's a push to allow more "specificity" in storytelling along all of those axes but one.

I do think there is less nonwhite or LGBT specifity than one might expect today, even. But I think a lot of the uncomfortableness comes from the idea that religious belief is in itself more absolutist/exclusivist than say gender, which would make its depiction more problematic. Portraying someone's religious belief positively is open to the interpretation that the show is making a statement that this is the right way to act or believe for everyone, which feels more controversial to showrunners than say about a struggle with say a character's personal sexuality ("gay agenda propaganda" conspiracies aside).
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 11:15:03 PM »

Fair point.

I guess there is a disconnect between the "Low Church" sensibilities of most US Protestants (to use an Anglican term) and the fact that the visual language of "High Church" is compelling in visual storytelling.

"Low Church" is centered around the belief that one does not need vestments, grand cathedrals, etc. to connect with God---one just needs faith and maybe people to guide you on that journey of faith. But it's more compelling in movies and TV to display visuals of faith that are totally different from the outside world--the kind you find in Catholicism, Orthodoxy, some kinds of Anglicanism, etc.

I've noticed this is a thing in Japanese anime: any representation of Christianity = Catholic, with nuns, priests and Gothic cathedrals.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies