Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity or is it a distinct religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:54:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity or is it a distinct religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Question
Branch of Christianity

Distinct religion

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Is Mormonism a branch of Christianity or is it a distinct religion?  (Read 1369 times)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 31, 2021, 12:55:01 PM »

I would argue it is a distinct religion as they have a scriptural canon which is entirely unique to their church. Unlike simply the Bible (both Old & New Testaments) which is the sole scripture used by all Christian churches, Mormonism includes the Book of Mormon and other texts by Joseph Smith which are common to their religion but not to any other, while also using the Christian Bible. This is similar to how Christians use both the Jewish Scripture and their own New Testament which is unique to their religion. There are also many distinctive theological beliefs of the Mormons that are at odds with Christian teaching. For what it is worth Mormons do not accept non-Mormon baptism nor do non-Mormons accept Mormon baptism. This puts Mormonism and Christianity farther apart than just Catholic and Protestant churches are.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 12:59:23 PM »

The best definition I have ever seen for a "Christian" is one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I believe that definition to be purposely and appropriately vague, and I believe it to be one that includes Mormons.

However, Mormons certainly should never be considered to be Protestants, and they deserve their own category ala Jehovah's Witness.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 01:13:18 PM »

The best definition I have ever seen for a "Christian" is one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ.  I believe that definition to be purposely and appropriately vague, and I believe it to be one that includes Mormons.

However, Mormons certainly should never be considered to be Protestants, and they deserve their own category ala Jehovah's Witness.

I have heard this argument before, and I can understand why many people find it persuasive. However, for what it is worth, Moslems also claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. The Koran refers to the "gospel of Jesus," it just never makes it unambiguous what that "gospel" actually is.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 01:14:20 PM »

I have heard this argument before, and I can understand why many people find it persuasive. However, for what it is worth, Moslems also claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. The Koran refers to the "gospel of Jesus," it just never makes it unambiguous what that "gospel" actually is.

Okay, if we want to get more specific, Mormons profess to believe in the Resurrection.  I cannot see how that is not good enough to meet this broad tent threshold.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 01:36:03 PM »

Islam has more in common with Christianity than Mormonism does, in my opinion. I'd say Mormonism is a distinct religion.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »

It’s a branch of Christianity
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 01:56:57 PM »

What RINO Tom said. Gatekeeping religions is dumb and cringe.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 02:01:12 PM »

Islam has more in common with Christianity than Mormonism does, in my opinion. I'd say Mormonism is a distinct religion.

I would love to hear how.  Mormons believe in the Resurrection and Muslims don't, so that right there seems like probably the most defining difference, no??
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 07:17:25 AM »

I would love to hear how.  Mormons believe in the Resurrection and Muslims don't, so that right there seems like probably the most defining difference, no??
Muslims deny the crucifixion happened.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 10:03:33 AM »

Probably a distinct branch of Christianity.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 09:14:47 PM »

This is OC-level as far as following the conversation and responding appropriately, haha.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »

This is OC-level as far as following the conversation and responding appropriately, haha.
In Islam, Jesus was taken up into heaven alive.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 10:37:15 AM »

In Islam, Jesus was taken up into heaven alive.

You mean the Astral plane right?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 11:22:48 AM »

If Mormons aren't Protestants, then how are other Restorationist traditions Protestant?  or even Methodists?  The history of Methodism is distinct from attempts to "reform" Catholicism, after all   

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »

They largely meet the minimums of Christian salvation notwithstanding the whole cult/Jesus fanfiction stuff. Kind of like Jehovahs witnesses which is similarly a cult/fanfiction heavy.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 11:55:21 AM »

If Mormons aren't Protestants, then how are other Restorationist traditions Protestant?  or even Methodists?  The history of Methodism is distinct from attempts to "reform" Catholicism, after all   

The Restorationists include groups like the Disciples of Christ which nobody doubts as authentically Protestant so I really think it is a matter of theology and sola scriptura. Methodism was also a reform movement within the Church of England, a Protestant denomination, and largely retains all classic Protestant doctrines so it definitely counts too.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 01:51:11 PM »

They are Christian heretics in the tradition of Arianism, Pelagianism, Gnosticism, etc., but they are Christian.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 03:21:22 PM »

They are Christian heretics in the tradition of Arianism, Pelagianism, Gnosticism, etc., but they are Christian.

I think that Gnosticism is a bit far removed to be considered Christian still, no? Its origins weren't entirely within Christianity either. This sounds more like a means of demeaning it than a genuine classification.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 07:58:38 PM »

My not-so-intellectual understanding of the distinction (as has been addressed already) is that it is more about from which denominations you descend rather than your particular beliefs.  All Protestant denominations descend from Luther "protesting" the Catholic Church without any inherent desire to leave and/or deny the institution as at least legitimate in theory.  Each new Protestant faith is building upon further critiques of the Catholic Church, and while they are all now separate denominations (obviously), I think they can all clearly trace their lineages up the family tree.  That is why even some of the drastically different Pentecostal churches (i.e., handling snakes and stuff) are considered Protestant without any arguments by most people.  I might be ignorant, but from what tradition does Mormonism claim to descend?  To add an entirely new prophet is hardly a small critique of an existing faith.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 09:46:27 PM »

I think Restorationist (including Mormons/LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses) should be its own branch, distinct from Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Protestantism.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 09:57:32 PM »

If Mormons aren't Protestants, then how are other Restorationist traditions Protestant?  or even Methodists?  The history of Methodism is distinct from attempts to "reform" Catholicism, after all  

I think Restorationist (including Mormons/LDS and Jehovah's Witnesses) should be its own branch, distinct from Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Protestantism.

I don't think Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses have much in common denominationally.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 10:18:23 PM »

They don't, but they're both about apparently rejecting both Catholic Christianity and Protestant Christianity to go back to the "roots" that were revealed to them (and usually don't know as much about Orthodox churches but against them too).
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 11:39:17 PM »

I would argue it is a distinct religion as they have a scriptural canon which is entirely unique to their church. Unlike simply the Bible (both Old & New Testaments) which is the sole scripture used by all Christian churches, Mormonism includes the Book of Mormon and other texts by Joseph Smith which are common to their religion but not to any other, while also using the Christian Bible. This is similar to how Christians use both the Jewish Scripture and their own New Testament which is unique to their religion. There are also many distinctive theological beliefs of the Mormons that are at odds with Christian teaching. For what it is worth Mormons do not accept non-Mormon baptism nor do non-Mormons accept Mormon baptism. This puts Mormonism and Christianity farther apart than just Catholic and Protestant churches are.

No denomination accepts other denominational baptisms, including Orthodox to Catholic or Protestant. The entire point of each Christian denomination is that they have the truth, and they alone.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 11:51:19 PM »

My not-so-intellectual understanding of the distinction (as has been addressed already) is that it is more about from which denominations you descend rather than your particular beliefs.  All Protestant denominations descend from Luther "protesting" the Catholic Church without any inherent desire to leave and/or deny the institution as at least legitimate in theory.  Each new Protestant faith is building upon further critiques of the Catholic Church, and while they are all now separate denominations (obviously), I think they can all clearly trace their lineages up the family tree.  That is why even some of the drastically different Pentecostal churches (i.e., handling snakes and stuff) are considered Protestant without any arguments by most people.  I might be ignorant, but from what tradition does Mormonism claim to descend?  To add an entirely new prophet is hardly a small critique of an existing faith.

So are Mormons unique among Restorationists only in that what they believe about continuous revelation is just a *bit* too far gone?  That seems a very tenuous place to try to erect some kind of litmus test

Restorationism does not consider itself a "descendent" of any type of doctrinal Protestantism - the Churches of Christ, Disciples, Adventists, Christadelphians, Pentecostals and Mormons are alike in seeing themselves as a restored apostolic church, not some incremental reform of Catholicism.  There is not a clear denominational lineage from which you can trace the Restoration movement back to Luther or the other  Protestant reformers:  this is the pioneer religion of the American frontier.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2022, 09:48:48 AM »

No denomination accepts other denominational baptisms, including Orthodox to Catholic or Protestant. The entire point of each Christian denomination is that they have the truth, and they alone.

This is not true. The Catholic Church accepts baptisms in any denomination that it feels has a sound Trinitarian theology, and many Protestant denominations barely even impose that condition.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies