Yahoo/YouGov national poll: Trump 44% DeSantis 23% Pence 6% Haley 5% Carlson 2% Rubio 1% Youngkin 1%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:31:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election
  2024 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Yahoo/YouGov national poll: Trump 44% DeSantis 23% Pence 6% Haley 5% Carlson 2% Rubio 1% Youngkin 1%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Yahoo/YouGov national poll: Trump 44% DeSantis 23% Pence 6% Haley 5% Carlson 2% Rubio 1% Youngkin 1%  (Read 1265 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 29, 2021, 11:27:10 AM »
« edited: January 20, 2022, 11:47:27 AM by Mr. Morden »

Yahoo/YouGov poll of GOP primary voters, conducted Dec. 9 -13:

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/5nf49qubtk/20211213_yahoo_vaccine_tabs.pdf

This is the GOP primary portion of this poll, which already has the D. numbers posted in this linked thread.

Trump 44%
DeSantis 23%
Pence 6%
Haley 5%
Carlson 2%
Rubio 1%
Youngkin 1%

Crosstabs:

men: Trump +17 over DeSantis
women: Trump +26 over DeSantis
age 18-29: Trump + 72 over Pence
age 30-44: Trump + 25 over DeSantis
age 45-64: Trump + 13 over DeSantis
age 65+: Trump + 6 over DeSantis
white: Trump + 19 over DeSantis
Hispanic: Trump + 35 over DeSantis
under $50k income: Trump + 43 over DeSantis
$50-100k income: Trump + 14 over DeSantis
over $100k income: DeSantis +8 over Trump
fully vaccinated: Trump +10 over DeSantis
not fully vaccinated: Trump +35 over DeSantis
have children under 18: Trump +33 over DeSantis
don’t have children under 18: Trump + 17 over DeSantis

So yes, for the second time in a row on this poll, DeSantis leads Trump among voters making over $100k a year.  Among that group, it’s:

DeSantis 36%
Trump 28%
Haley 8%
Pence 5%
Rubio 4%
Youngkin 4%
Carlson 1%

Also note the enormous age gap for Trump vs. DeSantis:

age 18-29:
Trump 75%
DeSantis 2%
(Pence is in 2nd here, with 3%, while DeSantis at 2% is ties with Rubio and Youngkin for 3rd.)

age 65+:
Trump 36%
DeSantis 30%
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 01:31:49 PM »

This is the GOP primary portion of this poll, which already has the D. numbers posted in this linked thread.

Trump 44%
DeSantis 23%
Pence 6%
Haley 5%
Carlson 2%
Rubio 1%
Youngkin 1%

Crosstabs:

age 18-29: Trump + the 72 over Pence

So yes, for the second time in a row on this poll, DeSantis leads Trump among voters making over $100k a year.  Among that group, it’s:

DeSantis 36%
Trump 28%
Haley 8%
Pence 5%
Rubio 4%
Youngkin 4%
Carlson 1%

age 18-29:
Trump 75%
DeSantis 2%
(Pence is in 2nd here, with 3%, while DeSantis at 2% is ties with Rubio and Youngkin for 3rd.)

age 65+:
Trump 36%
DeSantis 30%

I find that a little surprising considering that DeSantis has fought vaccine mandates much harder and more effectively than Trump would've. Trump doesn't even seem interested in fighting them, and would rather boast about how it was his creation. This seems to me like a class divide, as lower income/education people are the least likely to be vaccinated, and they've always preferred Trump to other Republicans.

Also, I'm calling BS on that young R crosstab. No way DeSantis only has 2%.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 10:23:21 PM »

Trump 44%
DeSantis 23%
Pence 6%
Haley 5%
Carlson 2%
Rubio 1%
Youngkin 1%

Crosstabs:

So yes, for the second time in a row on this poll, DeSantis leads Trump among voters making over $100k a year.  Among that group, it’s:

DeSantis 36%
Trump 28%
Haley 8%
Pence 5%
Rubio 4%
Youngkin 4%
Carlson 1%

age 18-29:
Trump 75%
DeSantis 2%

age 65+:
Trump 36%
DeSantis 30%

I find that a little surprising considering that DeSantis has fought vaccine mandates much harder and more effectively than Trump would've. Trump doesn't even seem interested in fighting them, and would rather boast about how it was his creation. This seems to me like a class divide, as lower income/education people are the least likely to be vaccinated, and they've always preferred Trump to other Republicans.

I disagree. Young Rs love Trump way more than DeSantis cause he's a sh**tposting online troll. Older Rs lean more establishment and prefer politicians like DeSantis who have a record and policy plans and stuff.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 10:26:00 PM »

Trump is the candidate for working class young poor minorities with families, while DeSantis is the candidate for white rich single suburbanites and this poll PROVES IT!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 09:29:56 AM »

Trump 44%
DeSantis 23%
Pence 6%
Haley 5%
Carlson 2%
Rubio 1%
Youngkin 1%

Crosstabs:

DeSantis 36%
Trump 28%
Haley 8%
Pence 5%
Rubio 4%
Youngkin 4%
Carlson 1%

age 18-29:
Trump 75%
DeSantis 2%

age 65+:
Trump 36%
DeSantis 30%

I disagree. Young Rs love Trump way more than DeSantis cause he's a sh**tposting online troll. Older Rs lean more establishment and prefer politicians like DeSantis who have a record and policy plans and stuff.

If sh**tposting and online trolling is what young Republicans care about, I guess that's just part of why I'm not a Republican, but I know plenty of them who would actively prefer DeSantis over Trump. The idea that DeSantis is the "establishment" is quite far off from reality, both from his time as governor and his time in Congress, he was a freedom caucus guy. Establishment Republicans like McConnell hate those guys. I think he's just far more effective and articulate than Trump, and clearly, he's not afraid to "offend" people or go beyond the limits of what the establishment Republicans want to do in terms of policy.

Older Republicans moreso supported Trump in 2016, while younger voters were more Cruz/Rubio/Kasich. That's partially why I find it kind of bizarre.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:45:01 AM »

Trump 44%
DeSantis 23%
Pence 6%
Haley 5%
Carlson 2%
Rubio 1%
Youngkin 1%

Crosstabs:

DeSantis 36%
Trump 28%
Haley 8%
Pence 5%
Rubio 4%
Youngkin 4%
Carlson 1%

age 18-29:
Trump 75%
DeSantis 2%

age 65+:
Trump 36%
DeSantis 30%

If sh**tposting and online trolling is what young Republicans care about, I guess that's just part of why I'm not a Republican, but I know plenty of them who would actively prefer DeSantis over Trump. The idea that DeSantis is the "establishment" is quite far off from reality, both from his time as governor and his time in Congress, he was a freedom caucus guy. Establishment Republicans like McConnell hate those guys. I think he's just far more effective and articulate than Trump, and clearly, he's not afraid to "offend" people or go beyond the limits of what the establishment Republicans want to do in terms of policy.

Older Republicans moreso supported Trump in 2016, while younger voters were more Cruz/Rubio/Kasich. That's partially why I find it kind of bizarre.

It makes some sense to me.  Trump got a lot more libertarian starting in 2018. 
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 04:13:38 PM »

Trump was literally President of the United States for four years.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 04:25:09 PM »

Why is Trump so popular with young Republicans?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2022, 04:44:34 PM »

Seems like a pretty junky poll to me. These crosstabs don't make sense at all. And I don't believe for a minute that Trump is just at 44% support.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2022, 11:04:18 AM by Person Man »

Why is Trump so popular with young Republicans?

PEPE!

But seriously, DeSantis appears to be the choice for "Traditional Republicans".

That gives him the upside risk of being able to get back to the 2016 map while being able to sweep the sun belt stack the way Obama swept the rust belt stack. The downside risk is that he make no further inroads into the rust belt and the struggle continues in the rust belt though I don't see him having to campaign in Iowa or Ohio.

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2022, 01:37:07 AM »

Those age crosstabs are wild.  Do we have confirmation of this insane gap with other polls?  I know tons of young DeSantis fans, myself included, so this bewilders me.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2022, 06:30:13 PM »

Those age crosstabs are wild.  Do we have confirmation of this insane gap with other polls?  I know tons of young DeSantis fans, myself included, so this bewilders me.
I know way more younger Trump fans. Older policy-oriented Republicans are more DeSantis-oriented while younger Republicans are often more extreme and like Trump's "troll" persona.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2022, 06:35:22 PM »

Anecdotally I've definitely gotten the impression that older conservatives want someone more reliable and possibly more electable. Keep in mind, older Republicans wanting a more stable and younger candidate does not equal disapproval of Trump.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2022, 08:02:18 PM »

Anecdotally I've definitely gotten the impression that older conservatives want someone more reliable and possibly more electable. Keep in mind, older Republicans wanting a more stable and younger candidate does not equal disapproval of Trump.
This is definitely true. Older (as in 60+) conservatives don't care as much about "owning the libs", middle aged conservatives are mixed about it and younger conservatives, since they are often on right-wing social media, are the most "own the libs" people.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2022, 08:07:03 PM »

The sample of young Republicans is 38 people, and it's weighted. I do sort of think that DeSantis's support skews older, if only because the reason he's famous outside of FL is largely cable news which is watched by older voters, but I doubt Trump's support skews particularly younger. (Not only did Trump do better among older voters in the 2016 primary -- not the oldest, but his strongest category were 55-65-year-olds -- but most polls during his presidency showed self-identified Republicans who disapproved or were unsure about him tended to be younger Republicans). More likely is just very high undecideds among younger voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies