FT 22.04 – Tobacco Prohibition Amendment (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:58:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 22.04 – Tobacco Prohibition Amendment (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 22.04 – Tobacco Prohibition Amendment (Failed)  (Read 367 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2021, 07:14:19 PM »
« edited: January 13, 2022, 08:07:12 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION OF FRΙMONT
prohibiting the sale and distribution of tobacco

BE IT ENACTED BY THE PEOPLE OF THE COMMONWEALTH.

Section 1, TITLE.
i. The title of this Act shall be, the “Tobacco Prohibition Amendment.”
ii. This Act may be referred to as the “TP Amendment,” as our region is figuratively TP'ing the headquarters of tobacco manufacturers.

Section 2, SALE AND DISTRIBUTION.
i. The sale and distribution of products containing tobacco within the Commonwealth is hereby prohibited.
ii. Parliament and other governments under the authority of the Commonwealth may enforce this Section by legislation it deems necessary.

Section 3, CONSUMPTION.
i. Parliament shall pass no law punishing the voluntary consumption of tobacco products.
ii. It is the official stance of the Commonwealth that tobacco consumers are the victim, not the enemy.
iii. Parliament must allocate a portion of its budget to the rehabilitation of consumers of tobacco, and other related products if deemed necessary.

Section 4, ENACTMENT.
i. This amendment shall take effect starting in the Fiscal Year of 2023.
Sponsor: Koopa D. Quick, MFP

The member from Iowa has the floor.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 07:20:44 PM »

Thank you, Mr. First Minister.

If the government has the authority to restrict the sale and distribution of other deadly vices, such as crack cocaine, meth, et cetera, I find nothing wrong with the prohibition of this comparable substance. Tobacco provides no substantial benefit to the people of the region, and prohibiting its distribution would cause no fundamental harm to its security or prosperity.

However, when we pass this amendment, we must remember its goal: stopping tobacco from being sold. The people aren't our enemy, the people who perpetuate this vice are. Don't punish them, punish the manufacturer.

I refuse to elaborate any further as the amendment speaks for itself. Tobacco bad. I yield my time.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 07:24:00 PM »

I have some thoughts, but first I would like to hear what our other members have to say.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2022, 04:59:57 AM »

Very strongly opposed to this overkill. Who cares whether the original law is constitutional or not, this is a simulated game so we don't need to pretend to worry about tobacco companies suing us till the cows come home.
People have every right to  up their lives if they want to as long as there's no direct harm to others. Given the very liberal approach we take to drugs in this game and in this region it's absurd to suddenly take such a hardline position on tobacco as if we're LARPing as Nancy Reagan.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2022, 06:44:20 PM »

Very strongly opposed to this overkill. Who cares whether the original law is constitutional or not, this is a simulated game so we don't need to pretend to worry about tobacco companies suing us till the cows come home.

I don't care what the virtual tobacco companies think. The law is the law, and I don't want to stand for regional laws that violate federal statute and our great region's constitution, especially when the plain packaging laws offered by Frιmont's current laws are themselves overkill and stomp out private parties' fundamental rights to free expression for the sake of a nanny state holding the hands of people too stupid to make the right decision. It opens the door to government being able to dictate what parties can and can't say and poses an existential threat to the most fundamental civil right you could receive.

People have every right to up their lives if they want to as long as there's no direct harm to others. Given the very liberal approach we take to drugs in this game and in this region it's absurd to suddenly take such a hardline position on tobacco as if we're LARPing as Nancy Reagan.

In my opinion, I think this is a pretty liberal solution to the tobacco question. Under this amendment, nobody will be arrested for partaking in tobacco consumption. Smokers are not the target of this amendment, tobacco manufacturers are. Though me and First Minister disagree heavily on whether or not plain packaging falls under the first amendment, we can both agree that profiting off of addiction and suffering just can't be reasonably justified. Allowing tobacco manufacturers to profit off of human suffering, much like allowing cotton companies to profit off of slave labor, cannot be something that can be permitted for much longer. Tobacco hurts people. Its profit may be counted in dollars, but its consequences can only be counted in lives. Taking a lolbertarian stance on the sale and distribution of tobacco makes about as much sense as taking a similar stance towards crack cocaine. That's why the TPA is on the floor right now.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 03:30:51 PM »

Tobacco, like gambling, or McDonald's, is something that people freely choose while knowing the consequences. Certainly the influence of Wulfricism is alive and well if we're debating whether to ban entire products or companies because they're unhealthy!

Let's not undo the progress we've made with drug liberalization. Let's not become a nanny state. Let's not relegate tobacco to the black market.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2022, 09:16:08 AM »

Tobacco, like gambling, or McDonald's, is something that people freely choose while knowing the consequences. Certainly the influence of Wulfricism is alive and well if we're debating whether to ban entire products or companies because they're unhealthy!

Let's not undo the progress we've made with drug liberalization. Let's not become a nanny state. Let's not relegate tobacco to the black market.

This amendment falls in line with other forms of drug liberalization as it doesn't actually ban smoking, just sale and distribution. If our nanny government can regulate what the people can and can't say, what's stopping it from saying what it can and can't sell?
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2022, 09:20:40 AM »

calling for a final vote because this bill is good
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 01:46:17 PM »

calling for a final vote because this bill is good

Good. We in the south will have the trucks ready to flood the black markets in Fremont and make bank. We wont even have to worry about the retarded plain packaging nonsense now.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2022, 06:18:43 PM »

People have every right to  up their lives if they want to as long as there's no direct harm to others. Given the very liberal approach we take to drugs in this game and in this region it's absurd to suddenly take such a hardline position on tobacco as if we're LARPing as Nancy Reagan.

Of course I agree with ASV, or rather he agrees with me! As the court has upheld our GLORIOUS BIPARTISAN plain packaging law, this amendment serves no further purpose.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 06:18:57 PM »

Now we will vote.

Nay!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 07:31:19 PM »

So much for stopping the evil tobacco empire. Sticking it to your political opponents is apparently far more important.

Aye
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 07:38:02 PM »

Nay
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2022, 08:45:23 PM »

Aye
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 09:30:16 PM »

My two cents now that I'm in Koopa's seat: I see the appeal, but with the Plain Packaging Act existing and being upheld, I also understand that any further reduced tobacco intake would likely be through increasing funding for treatment programs rather than through outlawing tobacco outright. Since the bill isn't going to pass anyway, I think I'll keep Koopa's Aye in place.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2022, 08:02:29 PM »

With this bill having settled at 2-2, I imagine it's failed?
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 08:06:59 PM »

RIP Puritanism, ff.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies