Best American Civil War Computer Games?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:50:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Best American Civil War Computer Games?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best American Civil War Computer Games?  (Read 338 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 28, 2021, 05:33:26 PM »

I recently posted this in the off topic board, then realized this is a far more appropriate venue.

Looking for one to play.  Ultimate general is new and seems like it might be the total war equivalent combining is combining large scale strategic planning with tactical combat, though the reviews seem to indicate the playing mechanics are clunky and the AI sucks.

ultimate general Gettysburg was a big disappointment for me. I played Sid Meier's  If Gettysburg in the late nineties and still consider it a superior game. The graphics of ultimate general frankly aren't that much better over 20 years later. The mechanics of ultimate general are weird,  Such as rushing artillery is almost futile, but at the same time Is the method shown in the tutorial of determining your your artillery units line of sight refuses to work 1/2 of my batteries sit around instead of firing until they get moved up directly in front of the infantry units I want bombarded and they get cut to ribbons.  Is worst of all, whereas  Is the outcome of each individual portion of the battle in SM Gettysburg had an impact on the subsequent scenario, to wear to where you could wind up with something similar to an actual historical outcome, or anything ranging from a total Union surrender to apomatics 2 years early, comma no matter how much you win or lose Is a particular scenario in ultimate general Gettysburg seems to have little to no consequence on the next part of the battle..

Most other Civil War computer games I've seen online seem to Be lacking, are outdated, and/or have terrible reviews.

Suggestions?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 06:11:50 PM »

Well, having long searched for one that satisfies my interests (more strategic than tactical), I have three suggestions depending on what one is looking for:

Victory and Glory: The American Civil War (2020): Simple but engaging, feels like playing a board game. It's mostly strategic with formulaic battles, but I found it quite good if one wants to play a 2-3 hour scenario rather than spend days roleplaying the war.

AGEOD's Civil War 2 (2013): Probably the most detailed and in-depth there is in terms of strategy and, particularly, logistics. Extremely complex to learn much like all AGEOD games due to the number of things one must keep into account, so one would be definitely playing a single session for a lot of time.

Grand Tactician: The Civil War (1861-1865) (2021): This one is new, but remarkably ambitious and grand in scope. A ton of strategic and tactical depth, to the point in which it could easily become the "ultimate" game with enough time. Haven't played it myself though, while released, it's still being worked on and patched constantly in order for it to improve.

So... Victory and Glory for a quick session, AGEOD for the Civil War obsessed enthusiast willing to spend a ton of time, and potentially Grand Tactician as the best assuming the constant patching can stabilize it for good.

PS: Also read good things about Gary Grigsby's War Between the States (2008), but never got to play it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 10:18:57 AM »

Well, having long searched for one that satisfies my interests (more strategic than tactical), I have three suggestions depending on what one is looking for:

Victory and Glory: The American Civil War (2020): Simple but engaging, feels like playing a board game. It's mostly strategic with formulaic battles, but I found it quite good if one wants to play a 2-3 hour scenario rather than spend days roleplaying the war.

AGEOD's Civil War 2 (2013): Probably the most detailed and in-depth there is in terms of strategy and, particularly, logistics. Extremely complex to learn much like all AGEOD games due to the number of things one must keep into account, so one would be definitely playing a single session for a lot of time.

Grand Tactician: The Civil War (1861-1865) (2021): This one is new, but remarkably ambitious and grand in scope. A ton of strategic and tactical depth, to the point in which it could easily become the "ultimate" game with enough time. Haven't played it myself though, while released, it's still being worked on and patched constantly in order for it to improve.

So... Victory and Glory for a quick session, AGEOD for the Civil War obsessed enthusiast willing to spend a ton of time, and potentially Grand Tactician as the best assuming the constant patching can stabilize it for good.

PS: Also read good things about Gary Grigsby's War Between the States (2008), but never got to play it.

Yeah, everything I hear about grand tactician at least among critics is the same. It could come a repeat good become the pre eminent ACW computer game ever. Unfortunately it's got so many bugs and fundamental AI issues That it simply shouldn't have been released yet. I am as I speak resisting the urge to go ahead and buy it anyway despite I almost always buy computer games once they're like 75% or more off just because I am jonesing so bad for a good Civil War game aim. I'll look at the others you suggested. Thanks!

Open for other suggestions, BTW.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies