"California is the future of American Politics"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:13:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  "California is the future of American Politics"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How has the blog post "California is the future of American Politics" aged?
Very Well

Well

Somewhat Well

Badly

Very Badly

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: "California is the future of American Politics"  (Read 1578 times)
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2021, 10:54:49 AM »
« edited: December 27, 2021, 11:01:26 AM by 😎 Second Amendment Solutions 😎 »

I recently came across this hilarious blog post shared by a pbrower2a on this board that I thought warranted its own thread:

https://medium.com/s/state-of-the-future/california-is-the-future-6601cdf8caf8

It was written by Peter Leyden, a man who describes himself as someone who is "Always figuring out the future". It's largely forgivable as it was written in Late 2017 (and it even got 10.5K "claps"), but I find this article incredibly hysterical as it looks like the near-opposite of what actually is occurring.

The main plank of the blog post is literally the title, "California is the future of American politics", and the author espouses the theory that California literally runs on a timescale 15 years ahead of the rest of the country. Arnold Schwarzenegger's election as governor of California is compared to Trump's election in the US, both being "the last gasp of the conservative era".

He says the main way that California has been able to progress has been by the "neutralization" of Republicans in the state, and this is why the state is so good in every way.

To top it off, he champions the idea that the San Francisco Bay Area in particular is the part of California which is truly leading the way in showing "the future". In fact, he calls it "The London of our time". This, once again, is especially funny given the recent decline the Bay has experienced being more intense than anywhere else in the state.

Reading this excerpt should give you the gist of the post:

So when you despair at the latest outrageous tweet that President Trump fires off, or you grit your teeth at the self-inflicted gridlock of the Republican U.S. Congress, just remember that California is the future. California in the last 15 years has been where America is today. We had that gridlock. We had that polarization. We had a conservative Republican party that refused to face up to the 21st century, that undermined all reasonable movement forward — and California moved on.

The rise of Trump is likely nothing more than the last emotional backlash before America moves forward again. In a sense, we needed Trump to lay out the whole conservative agenda in all its absurdity — denying climate change, demonizing immigrants, calling for tax cuts for billionaires in the face of historic inequality. We needed Trump to once and for all show Americans what rule by and for billionaires, and oil companies, and Wall Street, really means. We needed Trump to get the entire Republican party and conservative movement to embrace truly reactionary ideas in the minds of all the growing constituencies of the 21st century —millennials, people of color, immigrants, college-educated knowledge workers.

One way or another, Trump will eventually crash and take down a good chunk of the Republican establishment with him. The takedown will be thorough, running through the U.S. House and Senate, and into governorships and state legislatures. We’re talking a long-term political takedown that could last for a generation or two. Trump will be more like Hoover. The Republicans back then went down and were crippled for almost 50 years before Ronald Reagan led them out of the wilderness and back to power.

Trump’s going down. Much of the Republican party is likely to collapse with him. The conservative movement in its current form is going to be discredited for many, many years. As that happens, the progressive movement is going to surge on the strength of those growing constituencies throughout the rest of the country. The Democratic party is going to go through an historic revitalization. America is going to turn mostly Blue and go through a fundamental reinvention. And we’re all going to build a digital, global, sustainable civilization for the 21st century.

How do we know that? Because California is the future.

I definitely do encourage you to read the whole thing, though, while it's long it's definitely worth the laugh.

What are all of your thoughts?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »

I think New Mexico seems to be the future of American politics
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 01:44:47 PM »

The point it missed out is much of the change in California politics happened since nearly a million or even more Californians left the state in the 1990s due the collapse in the defense industry which not only caused workers in those industries to leave but it’s cascading effect caused others in similar industries to collapse as well . Those Californians moved and helped make Texas so Republican .

California used to be a great indicator of the future but the state has fundamentally changed in ways that it no longer will be
EastwoodS

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2021, 09:59:01 PM »

FL is the future
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2021, 11:39:51 PM »

You're a real downer.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 03:24:57 AM »

“Insert state that supports my party” is the future.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »

If the future of American politics is a place where city councils are fueled by activist trends with no real idea of how to solve problems and cost of living is out of control then we have bigger problems than any of us realized. It's lazy triumphalism in line with the "Coalition of the Ascendant" talking point that used to be popular. It amazes me that people ever took that seriously given that parties are organisms capable of adapting and not just mastodons frozen in time, but it is at least anthropologically useful to see that people actually came out and said things like this.
DS0816
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 12:58:38 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2021, 01:45:45 PM by DS0816 »

The 2017 California Democratic Party’s chairperson election was rigged. (Which, politically, demonstrated they didn’t care where their party’s voters wanted it to go.)

The state of California lost one congressional district and one electoral vote. (If the 2030 U.S. Census Bureau’s report shows similar or same trends in state populations, for changes throughout the 2020s, California will again lose one congressional district and one electoral vote—and No. 2 populous state Texas will increase on both counts by three, which would separate the two states by just ten congressional districts and ten electoral votes; in the 1990s, their spread, for both, was twenty-two.)

The cost of living in California has been causing people to leave. (Overall expense.)

During the 20th century, all but three United States presidential elections—1912, 1960, and 1976 (Democratic pickup winners who did not carry the state)—saw California in the column of the winners. So far during this 21st century, every winning Republican did not carry California—demonstrating they do not need it as they did in the past. (From the party’s first winner, Abraham Lincoln in 1860, to a 1988 George Bush, all prevailing Republicans carried California except 1880 James Garfield.) So, politically, California is no longer a bellwether state.

We know about how big California is, alone, for what it means to the world economy. If we get destruction with the world economy collapsing … we can look to California.

That article, written by at least one person from the neoliberal think tank Center for American Progress, and one person connected with Wired (which was hot in the 1990s because of its innovative layout and design in a period when people still cared about magazines), was during the early part of the Trump presidency. It is a piece which can make Blue No Matter Who and BlueAnon believers feel good about themselves. Ultimately, it doesn’t mean s**t.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 03:12:22 PM »

I’m leaving here for a reason. People say to move to Florida so you don’t have to pay 2000 a month to live next to a place people are murdered but guess who is doing that? In Florida.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 06:07:40 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2022, 07:18:00 PM by Anaphylactic-Statism »

I’m leaving here for a reason. People say to move to Florida so you don’t have to pay 2000 a month to live next to a place people are murdered but guess who is doing that? In Florida.

It's not much better here in Texas. Where are you headed, unless that's too personal? Leaving for California in a few days but probably won't be staying, there's no way I can make it out there.

Anyway, the parties will always gravitate toward parity, but it's reasonable to say that the Overton Window will be shifting a little bit left.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 06:12:02 PM »

Yeah FL is a dump, and I'll say that as a Republican.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2022, 04:23:07 PM »

I think New Mexico seems to be the future of American politics

How so?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »

It is a highly educated, multicultural, and progressive-leaning state, much like the projectory of this country.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 08:28:46 PM »

Tallahassee moment

Objectively untrue when compared to the rest of the US (especially California with its notably higher violent crime rates and notably higher costs of living lol). Only difference is when we commit crimes we make it count

Source

Source

Source

Most Americans would agree

Source

There's a reason self-hating Floridians spend so much time hiding online, there are very few of them
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 08:42:56 PM »

Badly.
I don't know exactly what it's supposed to  mean and I disagree with it from the onset, and fundamentally. My state is great but it feels like states like AZ, GA, NV, TX, NC, etcetra are the future of American politics. CA is safe blue and the only competition is a small number of congressional districts.
I voted Badly because CA actually lost a district in the 2021-2022 redistricting, so the influence it has on American politics is actually decreasing.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 08:54:00 PM »

Tallahassee moment

Objectively untrue when compared to the rest of the US (especially California with its notably higher violent crime rates and notably higher costs of living lol). Only difference is when we commit crimes we make it count

Source

Source

Source

Most Americans would agree

Source

There's a reason self-hating Floridians spend so much time hiding online, there are very few of them

The funniest thing here is how all the charts/maps have Alabama doing terrible.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 08:18:36 PM »

I actually think there's more to this concept than one might expect. It's true that the Republican Party has ceased to exist in California in a way that we wouldn't expect in America, and so you can no longer say in a general sense that California is a couple decades ahead of the country, but nonetheless you can identify certain types of place where the California experience models the future elsewhere.

Consider, for example, Orange County, which was in a similar place politically during the Reagan years to where a lot of suburbs (for example, in the South) were during the Bush years. Those suburbs are now undergoing the same process that Orange County has gone through, where they get a lot less white and then all of a sudden all of the stereotypes are out of date because they're not electing Republicans anymore, and they're not electing Republicans anymore because who "they" is has changed. The experience of California is as instructive there as it has ever been.

And, you know, obviously I don't agree with the wish-fulfillment parts of this argument, but San Francisco is now one of the world's greatest concentrations of money and power. That may not be a good thing, and it may not lead to the spread of any "San Francisco values" that we'd like, but there's no reason to expect San Francisco's importance to decline in the near future.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2022, 10:55:00 PM »

The point it missed out is much of the change in California politics happened since nearly a million or even more Californians left the state in the 1990s due the collapse in the defense industry which not only caused workers in those industries to leave but it’s cascading effect caused others in similar industries to collapse as well . Those Californians moved and helped make Texas so Republican .

California used to be a great indicator of the future but the state has fundamentally changed in ways that it no longer will be
Is the collapse of the defense industry one of the major factors for Bush's defeat in 1992?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 12:20:21 AM »

Is the collapse of the defense industry one of the major factors for Bush's defeat in 1992?

Clinton also taking away the Dems are weak on crime narrative helped him a lot in California.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2022, 05:08:30 PM »

The collapse of the defense industry was partially unavoidable with the end of the Cold War, but it certainly was a factor in the 1992 election that hurt Bush.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies