Was the notion that tons of celebrities would run for the Democratic nomination the worst aged take?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:45:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Was the notion that tons of celebrities would run for the Democratic nomination the worst aged take?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was the notion that tons of celebrities would run for the Democratic nomination the worst aged take?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Was the notion that tons of celebrities would run for the Democratic nomination the worst aged take?  (Read 678 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2021, 10:04:04 AM »

For all the many many badly aged takes including some I've repeatedly highlighted (especially the Kanye West playing spoiler ones), I think this one is kind of forgotten. But it was soooooo dumb. For one the idea that the Democrats are just as celebrity-obsessed as Republicans is a really dumb "both sides"-y notion, other than Al Franken are there any notable examples of a celebrity winning a Democratic primary recently? I mean one couldn't even defeat in the primary a rather loathsome and widely hated and now resigned Governor in 2018. Other than that....a few former pro athletes maybe but the only current one in office is Collin Allred and he ran more on his legal career and work with the Obama Administration. And then...I guess a decade ago John Hall from that B-toee yacht rock band Orleans served two terms as a generic D backbencher in the House.

But regardless celebrities might still be prone to run even if unlikely to be nominated....but the closest thing to one who did was Marianne Williamson.

But beyond all that there was no reason why celebrity candidates would be more likely than previous cycles! The argument would probably be "but Trump" but this is laughably simplistic, if anything Trump encouraged a backlash to celebrity candidacies. No Democrat saw Trump and thought "wow I really wish we could nominate a reality TV show host too!"

Utterly embarrassing in hindsight.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2021, 01:09:17 PM »

Given how people actually ran, no.
Roll Roons
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2021, 02:43:51 PM »

Not really. As it was, the field was absurdly crowded. Considering that people like Swalwell, Moulton, Williamson or Steyer all ran, was it really so far-fetched to think that someone like Oprah might get in?

If you're talking about something that actually aged really badly, nothing beats the March/April 2020 take that Cuomo should have replaced Biden as the nominee.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 04:59:18 PM »

Who thought a celebrty was going to run for the nomination? The big fear was a celebrty would run third party
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2022, 10:27:01 AM »

Who thought a celebrty was going to run for the nomination? The big fear was a celebrty would run third party
It was a frequently proposed claim here around 2017 and remember when a bunch of people decided Oprah was going to run because of a speech she made that wasn't even political?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies