Opinion of American Humanist Association?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:26:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of American Humanist Association?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of American Humanist Association?
Freedom organization

Horrible organization

Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Opinion of American Humanist Association?  (Read 553 times)
James Monroe

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 26, 2021, 12:33:05 PM »

The American Humanist Association (AHA) is a non-profit organization in the United States that advances secular humanism, a philosophy of life that, without theism or other supernatural beliefs, affirms the ability and responsibility of human beings to lead personal lives of ethical fulfillment that aspire to the greater good of humanity.

The American Humanist Association was founded in 1941 and currently provides legal assistance to defend the constitutional rights of secular and religious minorities, lobbies Congress on church-state separation and other issues, and maintains a grassroots network of 250 local affiliates and chapters that engage in social activism, philosophical discussion and community-building events. The AHA has several publications, including the bimonthly magazine The Humanist, quarterly newsletter Free Mind, peer-reviewed semi-annual scholastic journal Essays in the Philosophy of Humanism, and daily online news site TheHumanist.com. The organization states that it has over 34,000 members.

No qualms with the organization messaging of building a better world for the goodness of mankind. They seem to have a great understanding of fighting back against the theocratic nature of the Christian Right-wing and are fighters for social justice causes. Don't know how you could be reasonably against the message even if you're a believer of religion. One of the best organizations in challenging the MAGA crowd in the laws of morality and the fairness of the marginalized.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 12:43:39 PM »

Humanism is for losers, so a whole organization dedicated to them is a joke. Plus, most humanist atlas posters are annoying, tying into the demographic awfulness of modern humanism.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 11:01:13 PM »

"Christianity is for losers, so a whole organization dedicated to them is a sick joke.
 Moreover, most Christian atlas posters are extremely nasty and Orthodox Christianity is awful."
I put that in quotes, because I don't agree with the statement, but it shows the blatant double standard at Atlas. Criticize Christianity and you run the risk of being banned for life. Criticize any other religion and you become an Atlas institution.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 02:25:07 PM »

"Christianity is for losers, so a whole organization dedicated to them is a sick joke.
 Moreover, most Christian atlas posters are extremely nasty and Orthodox Christianity is awful."
I put that in quotes, because I don't agree with the statement, but it shows the blatant double standard at Atlas. Criticize Christianity and you run the risk of being banned for life. Criticize any other religion and you become an Atlas institution.

The fact that you got 4 recommendations while the person you quoted got 0 is a huge hole in your argument, lol.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 10:17:52 PM »

If you think PSOL is criticizing humanism from the perspective of being more receptive to traditional religious claims than most self-described humanists are, rather than even less, then I don't know what forum you're posting on, but it's not the US Atlas Elections Talk Secular Blog Forum that I know.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 09:23:07 AM »

If you think PSOL is criticizing humanism from the perspective of being more receptive to traditional religious claims than most self-described humanists are, rather than even less, then I don't know what forum you're posting on, but it's not the US Atlas Elections Talk Secular Blog Forum that I know.
That doesn't make his criticism of the organization from a marxist perspective any less worthless,
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies